Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

How Do I Get Started??

Pages: 1 15 replies

hi everyone,
i'm wanting to learn the art of carving tikis. i have searched online for how-to books, videos, classes etc and can't seem to find anything. i am in south florida. if anyone out there has any suggestions and knows of anyone in south florida who does classes please let me know. i appreciate it.
thanks, cliff

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 7:42 PM

Hey man, show up at the next Tiki Jam. If I'm there I'll show you what I can. Look around TC and read everything you can. Look at the old carving thread. Read the safety thread. Read Benzarts thread. Read my thread. Read TikiG's thread. Look at the different progress pics and think about what people are doing to make those changes. Then go out and try it. You'll learn more from doing it than from getting "lessons." Get out there and make a few and you'll start to see how to make what you want. Show us pics as you go, be safe, and wear your safety gear.

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 8:18 PM

Spend a while perusing the tiki craving threads on here. Ask questions. But ultimately, just jump in and have a go. Thats how most of us started.

Good luck and post pics!

J

Just start. I learned from all these fine talented artists here. This is the best place to look for how to's and inspirational photos. Benzart's threads are the best.

Show us pictures as you go.

JP

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Jul 4, 2006 8:06 PM

Just go for it.

I'll never have the talents of many many carvers here (and that's saying a lot!!!)

But there's still people that want all I can carve! It doesn't matter! Just start carving. With each one, you will learn more and more.

My stuff ain't for sale! My yards are full of em. Some carvers I know, (and I know more than one) have no Tikis at their home or yard, but they are excellent artists as carvers.

I love Tiki. The way it was for me as I grew up in Manhattan and Redondo Beaches in the 60's And 70's. It was a magical time for me and my extended family cousins and such. We all are reliving this now. Cool times....Carve...by all means, Carve!

Welcome to TC

Mc

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 4, 2006 8:10 PM

On 2006-07-04 20:06, McTiki wrote:
Just go for it.

I'll never have the talents of many many carvers here (and that's saying a lot!!!)

Yeh, the talent on here is pretty overwhelming! But get in and have some fun :) When you're havinf fun it'll show in your carvings amd your skills will also improve.

Just like everyone else says " just start" . Thats what I did and post pics and ask questions. There are so many talented artist here that are willing to share their knowledge. Take advantage of it!!

Good luck.

Its very addictive.

"Just do it"-Nike

suck for a while and then get better.

I know it sounds sarcastic but for most of us thats exactly how it works.

You try to copy stuff other people have done and realize the shortfalls in your tools or the type of wood you have selected. The next time you make adjustments in your tecnique or learn how to better sharpen your chisels.

Maybe you figure out which tools you need to upgrade.

The key is to learn from what you have already done.

B

TropicalFreakFlaor TroFreque for short, Everyone speaks the truth. There is info on the carving pages that will answer questions you havent even thought of yet and wont for years. If you are unable to jump in and take advntage of all that available stuff,then come to my house and I will give you lessons but not for free. If you need a one on one encounter where you can ask the questions and get the answers and put them to use, pm or email me and come on down and learn to carve tikis. We will have you caring in no time. Anyone else wanna start a class?

F

Just do it. I did my first couple of tikis with a box knife while I was at work. I think carving a Moai at first is a good thing to do. There is not a lot of sharp angles and you can get the hang of how to compose your piece and where to start. It was hard at first for me to think of what to cut. You have to picture what you want it to look like and then cut away everything else.

hey,
are there any good books i can get for patterns etc?? what is a good carving set?? you guys/gals are a wealth of information.
thanks for your encouragements and information help.
cliff in hollywood, fl

T

On 2006-07-05 19:24, Benzart wrote:
If you need a one on one encounter where you can ask the questions and get the answers and put them to use, pm or email me and come on down and learn to carve tikis. We will have you caring in no time. Anyone else wanna start a class?

WOW! Now there's an offer you shouldn't ignore!

the neighbor's are having their palm stumps taken out from the canes. the company that sawed the palms down left some nice sized stumps so i hope to get a couple pieces to play on.
what technique is used to strip the outer layer??
cliff

M

If the esteemed Benzart offered me personal lessons and I lived within an hour of him, I'd gather up my poles and tools and go. No questions asked. At least PM him for sure.

Stick around, you'll see. You'll be carving in no time. After the first though, it's addiction, pure and sweet as it comes.

Also, the search feature is your friend.

Mahalo my friend

thanks for the offer benzart and the kewl new nick...lol..dude, that's awesome!!
i don't have any extra doe right now to anything kewl like getting lessons from a pro...but i really appreciate the offer, man....
TroFreque

Pages: 1 15 replies