Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Found in a loft today: Is this a Witco...?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I met a tiki collector through this site recently. He is thinking of making some room to acquire some new pieces. While I was looking at his stuff today, I found this piece in an loft behind some scrap wood. I always joke around in my yard when I find a two by four of scrap and say "Oh, I just found an original Witco!" Then I proclaim,"Oh no, it's just a piece of firewood!" I said the same joke when I saw the framed piece had a carving in it. Let's see who has the last laugh.
So is this a Witco or firewood? I know nothing about Witco at all. But if it just happens to be a Witco, could you please provide as much information as possible about it. Thank you very much.
Now check this out...

If it is a Witco, it may be for sale. He's not a motivated seller on this one item though. I want to make sure it is authentic and then let the owner decide what to do.
Broker Buzzy Out!

Congratulations!
That looks like a Witco. I'm sure others will have more info about her.

It's a Witco "Melanesian Female" from the early 60s, judging by the subdued colors (though that could be dust). She usually came together with a "Melanesian Male", and mostly on a floral background. In 1964 she cost 50.- bucks.
Not the best carving (Witcos were carved conveyerbelt style on marked wood, but each differed slightly depending on how the employee waved the chainsaw), that un-round bump on her chest is supposed to be her breast, but I like her face.
I would buy her if for sale.

On 2006-07-06 20:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
It's a Witco "Melanesian Female" from the early 60s, judging by the subdued colors (though that could be dust). She usually came together with a "Melanesian Male", and mostly on a floral background. In 1964 she cost 50.- bucks.
Not the best carving (Witcos were carved conveyerbelt style on marked wood, but each differed slightly depending on how the employee waved the chainsaw), that un-round bump on her chest is supposed to be her breast, but I like her face.
I would buy her if for sale.

Dude! Youre the man! Thanks for the mug info too...
Knowledgeable man you are and thanks!
Buzzy

Pages: 1 3 replies