Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

“Orange Whip” – A metaphor for disappointment.

Pages: 1 14 replies

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 7:57 PM

Ever been looking forward to something only to be disappointed? You know really built up your expectations in your mind, only to be let down by the inadequate reality of it? Well, that’s an “orange whip” situation.

It all started with my brother and I watching Blues Brothers constantly. John Candy orders 3 orange whips as the cops sit down to watch the Blues Brothers play. “Orange whip?… Orange whip?… 3 orange whips!” and with that an officer is sent to purchase said drink.

Well, we always wondered what the hell an orange whip was. Fast forward a hell of a lot of years, we found out it was a cocktail with orange juice, cream, vodka and rum. (http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/3031) New years eve we did a cocktail night. First cab off the ranks was an orange whip.

It was bitterly disappointing. For years we had quoted this line and wondered what it was. It was one of those drinks you just push down, but never ever order again. So much build up, years of build up, and it was crap!

So now, whenever we have high expectations for something, and it spectacularly falls short, that’s an “orange whip”.

Example:
You go to check out this “Ren Clarke severed head mug, in mint condition” in a thrift store. You go to check it out and its a chipped "dime a dozen" mug you already have 10 of... "How was that Ren Clarke mug you checked out?" "Turned out to be a bloody orange whip..."

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-07-06 19:57 ]

I believe the Orange Whip that Candy ordered was the typical non-booze type sold in stop-n-go's, cheap diners and the like, it comes from a dispenser that sprays it up on to the clear plastic top usually next to the Mexican rice drink, Horchata I believe. Why Candy ordered that one, cause they were cops on duty. BTW I have almost the whole movie down , word for word. The fellow who plays Bob, from the "real" good old boys is Chuck Napier, I cleaned his pool in Tarzana for a year or so, great guy.

H

Yeah, I have to agree with Bananabobs on this one. An Orange Whip is a non-alcohol drink sold at "quickie markets". It closest name brand cousin would be an Orange Julius. http://www.mountain-breeze.com/kitchen/recipes/2.html

The Orange Whip drink on the Webtender site was concocted AFTER the Blues Brothers movie was released.

TP

On 2006-07-06 23:11, bananabobs wrote:
I believe the Orange Whip that Candy ordered was the typical non-booze type sold in stop-n-go's, cheap diners and the like, it comes from a dispenser that sprays it up on to the clear plastic top usually next to the Mexican rice drink, Horchata I believe. Why Candy ordered that one, cause they were cops on duty. BTW I have almost the whole movie down , word for word. The fellow who plays Bob, from the "real" good old boys is Chuck Napier, I cleaned his pool in Tarzana for a year or so, great guy.

...lead singer and driver of the Winnebago!

A
aquarj posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 3:28 PM

Charles Napier is a b-movie king. He was also unforgettable on Star Trek as the leader of a futuristic hippy group that tries to take over the enterprise by forcible love-in.

-Randy

On 2006-07-07 00:06, Hakalugi wrote:
It closest name brand cousin would be an Orange Julius.

Had an Orange Julius in my hometown. I believe the Whip also had raw egg whites in it as well.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 4:38 AM

Learn something new every day!

DZ

"Who wants an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!"

I, too, am a big fan of the movie and can say it all, line-for-line. Check this out: Blues Brothers Central for more fun.

Oh, and I'd heard the Orange Juilus had powdered egg shells in it.

UB

Bahia Cabana, Fort Lauderdale (Hukilau!)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 9, 2006 8:24 PM

You now youve seen it too many times when you come second in a BB based trivia comp, and havent seen it for a year... :)

On 2006-07-07 23:05, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2006-07-07 00:06, Hakalugi wrote:
It closest name brand cousin would be an Orange Julius.

Had an Orange Julius in my hometown. I believe the Whip also had raw egg whites in it as well.

On 2006-07-08 08:04, Doctor Z wrote:

"Who wants an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!"

I, too, am a big fan of the movie and can say it all, line-for-line. Check this out: Blues Brothers Central for more fun.

Oh, and I'd heard the Orange Juilus had powdered egg shells in it.

Back when I was an Intern for KROQ I was the designated Lunch Runner for the Engineering Dept. and saw the preparation of many an Orange Whip & Orange Julius. Orange Whip was made from a powder mixed with water, I believe gelatin is a more likely thickener than eggs. Orange Julius used real OJ and could be ordered "With Egg" or "Without Egg," depending on whether you trust egg whites to be disease-free or not. I've found several Orange Julius recipes online that call for OJ, Kraft Powdered Dream Whip Topping, & Vanilla Pudding, so it looks like either could be made without eggs.

I think I had a Orange Whip at Trad'r Sam on last year's Bar Crawl. It was actually quite yummy, if I recall.

Orange Whip should not be confused with the legendary Merlino's Orange Freeze of Sacramento.

isnt an orange whip/orange julius sort of like taking a 50-50 bar and throwing it in a blender?

TM

Orange Julius- Orange juice, crushed ice, vanilla, sugar and egg whites, blended.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2006-07-11 16:36 ]

You're not talking this kind of orange whip, are you?

Pages: 1 14 replies