Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Luau Hut ReThatching finished (BOT pg 205 structure )

Pages: 1 4 replies

I was recently hired to replace all of the grass thatching on three structures at the Red Lion Hanalei in San Diego, the hotel where Tiki Oasis was held this year. One of the structures that I got to work on was the famous Luau Hut. You can read more about this hut in the Book of Tiki. On this thread are the posts from before and after this project was completed in July of 2006.

This is page 205 of the "Book of Tiki." Most of us are familiar with this book.

this is a close up of how the luau hut looked when the book was published

This is how it looked just prior to Tiki Oasis:

If you noticed the difference, then you were probably shocked that the once stained tiki poles were painted recently. Also, look at how thrashed the thatch is. I'd like to apologize on behalf of all of San Diego for ruining Tiki Oasis because all those tiki lovers had to take pictures of this historic structure looking like a hurricane had hit it.

Next year, this will be taken care of for all you guys. I promise. You see, Monday, I'm going to redo all the thatching at the hotel. Problem solved, post card quality photos of the Luau hut for Tiki Oasis 7 guaranteed.

Here was the hut today. You will also notice that they got rid of the bamboo rafters and placed planks over the whole roof. Some renovation. They also added a bunch of vertical poles to clutter it up and distract your eyes from the tiki posts.

The hotel cleaned up the old thatch. Damn! I was going to auction it off if I got to take it off too. Just think, you could have had the actual Luau hut thatch in your home tiki bar. Now that's something to brag about. Too bad! So many what ifs...

I also get to do the Hula Hut by the pool.

And the project I'm most excited about...
the pool pump house roof! When I'm done putting thatch on this pump roof, I'm going to carve my name in the wood because it will be a work of art. Make sure you check this part out if you come to Oasis next year.

I'll post pictures of this when I'm done. Don't worry tiki world, it's in very good hands in the meantime...

Historical Tiki Preservationist Buzzy out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-13 00:42 ]

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 1:34 AM

Buzzy, this is so exciting! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Of course I expect to see and hear all the details of this very important preservation project. I know you'll make it better than ever!

Zaya

Better than ever? Look at that old picture. They absolutely ruined it!, In my opinion. This thing needs a lot more than new grass...
Is there a Tiki Preservation Society out there. This thing needs help!
What I'm most excited about is having my camera, a ladder, and the structure roped off for my own private photo session of all the details of the tiki poles. I never got to take a ladder to the hotel before...
Zaya, here's a Maori panel I saw at the hotel

Finished putting grass on the Luau Hut today
Here is the view of page 205 of the Book of Tiki(If it was taken today}

This tree saved my life today...

Looks better than the first time I saw it last May...look at the picture from my first post to compare

Finished view from the third floor...

I would like to take a moment and clear up a mistatement that I heard someone say a few weeks back. Crazy Al did not carve that tiki. He made a mug based on that tiki for tiki oasis(I hate to mention mugs again}That tiki is older than Crazy Al himself. Glad to clear this up for you.

Here are the Tikis that make up the hut. Two designs only...

The large, stacked tikis are actually two nailed and glued together. I talked to a guy who dropped another one whe n they were de-tiking the hotel. He said there were nails sticking out of it all over...This close up shows the joint where they are joined together. Dang! he was right. I looked for nail holes, but the paint was thick and had several coats of clear on it. He also mentioned a store room at the hotel...could he be right twice...

The Hula Hut was next:

And the pump house roof...
While I was doing this, two guests of the hotel wanted to hire me to do this in Las Vegas. I told them to call me back this winter

Here I am, doing a little hula, caught up in the moment

With work like this, who needs a vacation...
Buzzy

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-11 01:27 ]

B

NIce work and nice work space. The kind of repair job that Everybody wants, and YOU Got it..How cool is that?

Pages: 1 4 replies