Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Seeking Tiki Musicans who played in the 40s-60s Clubs

Pages: 1 6 replies

AV

Aloha, my name is Andy Volk. I wrote the book Lap Steel Guitar (Centerstream) and I'm a contributing writer to Acoustic Guitar Magazine and Fretboard Journal. I'm working on an article about the music played in Tiki bars and Polynesian restaurants of the 40s - 60s. I'm interested in interviewing musicians who played at The Seven Seas, Don The Beachcombers, Trader Vic's, and other similar clubs around the country that specialized in the Polynesia of the imagination.

I'm also seeking hi-res photos from that era of restaurant interiors, menus, and especially - guitar, uke and steel guitar players. I'd greatly appreciate any help Tiki Central Forumites woould care to offer. And don't worry, I'll also be checking out the search function here. Thanks!

S

I know just the person you need to talk to. Email me and I can get you in contact with an old timer who played all over the country. Summers in Florida and winters in New York, Chicago, etc.

..there's an old timer here in chicago..used to play lap-steel at the kona kai and a few other tiki bars downtown back in the day.....can't recall his name, but i'm sure duke carter might know or james T...anyone from chicago remember this guy?? i think he was at exotica 2003 as a guest, not a performer. contact the old town school of folk music here in the city....it seems to be the place these old timers end up after they cease to be marketable and their music falls from popularity, forcing them to become marginalized or worse, street musicians!!...also contact "the barefoot hawaiians" in des plaines, ill. ...they are still performing and would certainly be able to point you in the right direction as far as tracking down some of the old guys.....

AV

Many thanks! Will follow-up.

On 2006-07-10 09:45, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..there's an old timer here in chicago..used to play lap-steel at the kona kai and a few other tiki bars downtown back in the day.....can't recall his name, but i'm sure duke carter might know or james T...anyone from chicago remember this guy?? i think he was at exotica 2003 as a guest, not a performer. contact the old town school of folk music here in the city....it seems to be the place these old timers end up after they cease to be marketable and their music falls from popularity, forcing them to become marginalized or worse, street musicians!!...also contact "the barefoot hawaiians" in des plaines, ill. ...they are still performing and would certainly be able to point you in the right direction as far as tracking down some of the old guys.....

Beau Sterling!!!

that's him!!

AV

Oh yeah, Beau used to play the luau rooms in Chicago in the early 80s. His sister danced the Hula. Thanks!

Also - if anyone has high-res photos of musicans playing in Tiki rooms that you could lend for the article, I'd very much appreciate seeing them.

Pages: 1 6 replies