Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Greetings!

Pages: 1 10 replies

L

Hello! I was waxing nostalgic for the long departed Lanai in San Mateo and decided to do a Google search to see if I could find out what happened to the sunrise/sunset scenery that used to grace the back of the bar. I haven't tracked that down, but I did find this group -- which is the next best thing. I love the Aloha sprit of a good Tiki bar and, nearly 20 years later, I still mourn the passing of the greatest Tiki bar ever.(For those of you who don't live in NorCal, that would be the Lanai!) Thankfully, I have several pieces (including a Tiki that I bought at a Lanai closing sale/auction) to remind me of the the place at which every Bay-Area-raised kid drank well before turning 21! In any event, I am looking forward to perusing this forum and hope to meet some of you at the SF Tiki crawl later this month. In the meantime, for those of you who remember the Lanai, if anyone knows a place where I can get a San Bruno, please let me know!!

Mahalo.

L

OK, I thought I was posting this to the new member topic. Guess not. Sorry!

Hiya, Luv! Do you have pictures of your Lanai pieces that you could post in the Collecting Tiki forum?

L

Absolutely! Thanks for asking. I will try to take pictures this weekend. My collection is small though -- just a few cool mugs; a drink menu; a carved tiki candle holder and a carved tiki candle lamp; a blowfish lamp and a shell Chandelier (these two may be gone; I haven't seen them in years); and my two favorite pieces: a beautifully carved spear and my Moai tiki (whose base is in need of some repair). I would love to know more about the origins of the latter two items. All I know now is that they came from the Lanai. Hopefully, the pictures will lead to information about their creators.

I also acquired, at the Lanai auction, a case of strega witches brew plastic cups shaped like cauldrons, which, although not tiki, are pretty cool, mainly because each comes with a witches broom swizzle stick that includes a witchy fortune. I've never seen these anywhere before. I'll throw in a picture of them too.

Cheers.

H

Those would be wonderful to see, LuvTiki! If you haven't already, be sure to check out Forbidden Island in Alameda. It's a new tiki bar opened by Tiki Centralites, and it houses some items that came out of the Lanai, most notably some gorgeous monkeypod tabletops. There is also some gorgeous, large, honey-colored bamboo there from the Lanai. But most importantly -- they have the Lanai's delicious Sidewinder's Fang on the menu!

http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

You've probably already found this old thread, since it mentions that mural, but our own aquarj managed to acquire a massive tiki from the Lanai, carved by Barney West:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=152&forum=1&start=0

And if you haven't already, check out aquarj's web pages all about the Lanai:

http://www.goofspot.com/lanai/

Welcome to Tiki Central!

L

Mahalo for the Lanai information and for the welcome. I did see the thread on Aquarj's acquisition of the marvelous Lanai tiki, but had not seen his killer website. As a lover of all things Lanai, I am grateful for your taking the time to point it out! I just learned about Forbidden Island this weekend via this site. I can't wait to get there (hopefully this weekend). It's been nearly 20 years since I had a Sidewinder's Fang and I'm thirsty! I am curious about the recipe though. From what I recall, the original SF was made with Fassionola, which I haven't seen in years. If Fassionola is out there somewhere, I need a few bottles. My own is 20 years old and exists solely for the sake of memories -- not drinking.

G

I didn't know about aquarj's web site either. How about this line from the Lanai's drink menu:

Our master mixologist hopes to please your palate, quench your thirst and win your deepest satisfaction.

Dontcha just love lines like that?

L

Amen re the language Gator! My personal favorite is the last line on the back of the drink menu:

"We believe all the emotions of man are contained in these tempting drinks, and that by your participation, they will add zest to your conversation, will stimulate your appetite, and will give you the power to change the world."

Now those are words to live by!

(BTW, since finding this site my productivity level at work has gone way down.)

A

Welcome LuvTiki! Thanks for the comment about my Lanai website, and thanks Humu for posting it along with the other good links. Here's another thread that had recent Lanai-related news, if you're curious. This one's about Lanai Liquors in particular.

Hope you can post some photos of your stuff, especially the 2 foot moai (and I'd love to put that on the website if I may).

Also, funny timing for this thread. Here's what the Barney West tiki from the Lanai looked like this week. It's the mummy!

-Randy

L

I love it! Does he have termites??

I am going to try to take pictures this weekend, but I am not sure how I am supposed to post them. I can't use shutterfly (has something to do with Active X ??) Anyway, I'm sure I can figure something out.

A

Does he have termites??

Did, not does! Actually, there was termite damage visible on the back since we first moved the big guy in 2002, and I always wondered if they were still living inside. I thought I'd been seeing some evidence of that lately, so it was time to get took'n care of.

We were hoping they'd use one of those stripey tent things on the guy, but I guess the color doesn't matter as long as the effect is lethal!

-Randy

Pages: 1 10 replies