Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Honeymoon in Nevada and California

Pages: 1 22 replies

E
ehrie posted on Mon, Jul 10, 2006 4:25 AM

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Just a few weeks my fiancée and me will marry in Las Vegas. Hey!, that´s the greatest date of my life!!! September 4th we travel from Stuttgart/Germany to Las Vegas. Some days later we´ll be in San Fransciso for a time. From San Franscisco we travel near the cost to Los Angeles and to San Diego provided that we have enough time. On September 26th we have to travel back home. I look around in the “Tiki Trip” book and there are a lot of amazing tiki locations. That´s the very first time for us in the Staates and we are very happy about that!

We are looking for tiki themed motels, bars, restaurants, parties ……

We have a car the whole time, so we´ll be very flexible.

Which is your favourite tikispot? Which one is a totally must? Please tell me your recommendations on this route.

Thanks a lot!

ehrie

J

You absolutely must make a visit to Forbidden Island, a 20 minute drive across the bay from San Francisco! Let us know when you'll be there.

And congratulations on your wedding! Let me know if you need hotel, restaurant, or entertainment suggestions in Vegas, one of my favorite places.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-07-10 10:14 ]

E

On 2006-07-10 10:13, JenTiki wrote:
You absolutely must make a visit to Forbidden Island, a 20 minute drive across the bay from San Francisco! Let us know when you'll be there.

Awesome!!! http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com looks great! That´s for sure we are there and paint the town. I see we have to look for a motel in alameda after having some drinks… 8)

And congratulations on your wedding!

Thanks a lot! :)

Let me know if you need hotel, restaurant, or entertainment suggestions in Vegas, one of my favorite places.

I think we leave Vegas September 7th or 8th to make a round trip trough some national parks (Yosemite…etc…). After fighting against desert, bears, bigfoots and other monsters I hope we arrive San Franscisco about 9th or 10th to enjoy there some days.

Every hint is welcome. We also looking for a charming wedding chapel. Up to now, we like the Graceland Chapel very much. Are there any Hawaii flavoured wedding chapels? We stay at the Mirage and some entertainment, restaurants and bar suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you very much indeed!

ehrie

M

Every hint is welcome. We also looking for a charming wedding chapel. Up to now, we like the Graceland Chapel very much. Are there any Hawaii flavoured wedding chapels? We stay at the Mirage and some entertainment, restaurants and bar suggestions are very welcome.

Bonjour ehrie!
That's about all the German I know, so far. Now, I don't get out much but I am told these spots are pretty nice.

San Francisco: Tonga Room, the weekday happy hour, avoid the cover charge, but still get to enjoy perhaps the best decor of any local spot. Trader Vic's, either San Francisco or Emeryville. If I had to choose, definitely Emeryville (right across the Bay from SF). A good start point for visiting some other East Bay locales such as Kona or Conga if you are so inclined. Dinner is pricey, but on a late Summer evening, the sunset across the Bay, very nice.

Forbidden Island: Best tropical drinks...ever! Let everyone here know when you're visiting, I am sure some TC'ers will be in residence.

Los Angeles: Tiki Ti, and if possible, see Oceanic Arts for the birthplace of much of the decor for the best Tiki bars. I'll let the Hoity Toity (don't see that word used around here much anymore!) Southern Californias chime in with more suggestions.

Can't help on the wedding chapel, as I am allergic to marriage. Do try and see a show, eat at a buffet, and check out Mandalay Bay for great tropical decor. There are many topics about Vegas here and quit a few Vegas TC members.

Have fun, Yosemite is a great idea.
midnite

Wie Gehts, Ehrie! Here's a couple threads to start with:

My favorite Vegas bars and restaurants MANY Vintage
San Francisco & East bay area favorite restaurant & bars
Los Angeles area (mostly vintage) bars and Restaurants
San Diego Area (mostly vintage) Bars and Restaurants

Most of the above lists were started by Mr. Smiley, with lots of input from The Jab, among many other TCers, including myself.

You do know how much territory you're talking about covering? About 1200 miles, excluding side trips and in town travel.

RG

On 2006-07-10 04:25, ehrie wrote:
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Just a few weeks my fiancée and me will marry in Las Vegas. Hey!, that´s the greatest date of my life!!! September 4th we travel from Stuttgart/Germany to Las Vegas. Some days later we´ll be in San Fransciso for a time. From San Franscisco we travel near the cost to Los Angeles and to San Diego provided that we have enough time. On September 26th we have to travel back home. I look around in the “Tiki Trip” book and there are a lot of amazing tiki locations. That´s the very first time for us in the Staates and we are very happy about that!

We are looking for tiki themed motels, bars, restaurants, parties ……

We have a car the whole time, so we´ll be very flexible.

Which is your favourite tikispot? Which one is a totally must? Please tell me your recommendations on this route.

Thanks a lot!

ehrie

Ich wuerde auf deutsch schreiben, aber klar sprechen sie English veil besser als ich Deutsch spreche :)

I can't add much to the tiki recommendations, but I can recommend a few spots to see. Coming down the coast from San Francisco, there's Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur. Make sure you stop to see some of the Redwood groves, they are the tallest trees in the world and only grow in a small area down the California coast. A little farther south there's a little town called Cambria which is really nice. Farther south and inland some is an interesting little place called Solvang. You can find out more about these places on the internet.

When you're in Yosemite, make sure to go to the Sequoia grove at the south end of the park. Sequoias are related to redwoods and are the second tallest but largest tree in the world. They only grow in some thrity small groves in the Sierra Nevada in California. There are some big ones in Yosemite, but if you want to see the biggest tree in the world, you'll have to go south to Giant Forest in Sequoia national park. If you leave Yosemite and go towards Fresno, you can pick up the highway into King's Canyon national park. There is a road, I think it's called the King's Highway, that goes south through King's Canyon into Sequoia park. It's a beautiful drive through the high mountains.

If you are camping in the national parks in the Sierra Nevada mountains, they are NOT KIDDING when they say to put all food and anything that smells out of site in a bear box. Every time I've been there I've seen someone who didn't think they were serious have a bear rip the windows out of their car and tear into their ice chests. Yes, the bears there know what an ice chest is.

Vielleicht werden sie kein Englisch in Yosemite im Sommer sprechen, es ist voll von Deutschlaender :)

Congrats and have a great trip! California is a wonderful place to visit.

On 2006-07-11 00:39, ehrie wrote:

The wedding chapel at Mandalay Bay is very tropical.

While the stand alone chapels on Las Vegas Blvd are very Kitsch, they might be better to renew vows, Vegas style, than to make them initially. However, they are much, much more cost effective.

E

**Thanks for all your recommendations. That´ll be the trip of the century!!!! **

Mahalo!
ehrie

E

On 2006-07-11 21:26, Rev. Griz wrote:

Ich wuerde auf deutsch schreiben, aber klar sprechen sie English veil besser als ich Deutsch spreche :)

I can't add much to the tiki recommendations, but I can recommend a few spots to see. Coming down the coast from San Francisco, there's Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur. Make sure you stop to see some of the Redwood groves, they are the tallest trees in the world and only grow in a small area down the California coast. A little farther south there's a little town called Cambria which is really nice. Farther south and inland some is an interesting little place called Solvang. You can find out more about these places on the internet.

When you're in Yosemite, make sure to go to the Sequoia grove at the south end of the park. Sequoias are related to redwoods and are the second tallest but largest tree in the world. They only grow in some thrity small groves in the Sierra Nevada in California. There are some big ones in Yosemite, but if you want to see the biggest tree in the world, you'll have to go south to Giant Forest in Sequoia national park. If you leave Yosemite and go towards Fresno, you can pick up the highway into King's Canyon national park. There is a road, I think it's called the King's Highway, that goes south through King's Canyon into Sequoia park. It's a beautiful drive through the high mountains.

If you are camping in the national parks in the Sierra Nevada mountains, they are NOT KIDDING when they say to put all food and anything that smells out of site in a bear box. Every time I've been there I've seen someone who didn't think they were serious have a bear rip the windows out of their car and tear into their ice chests. Yes, the bears there know what an ice chest is.

...we heard so much about the beautiful landscape of Nevada and California, and we are looking forward the giant trees, canyons and the landscape in common. If we are not able to find a well-priced motel -camping with the bears is surely an option. Ok, I make a comment on my holidaylist "don´t forget the bowieknife for Yosemite" :wink:

Vielleicht werden sie kein Englisch in Yosemite im Sommer sprechen, es ist voll von Deutschlaender :)

Das ist genau das, was wir im Yosemite-Park nicht sehen wollen…;-) (Germans?!, that´s exactly what we don´t want to see… hahaha)

On 2006-07-12 00:14, ehrie wrote:

On 2006-07-11 21:26, Rev. Griz wrote:

...we heard so much about the beautiful landscape of Nevada and California, and we are looking forward the giant trees, canyons and the landscape in common. If we are not able to find a well-priced motel -camping with the bears is surely an option. Ok, I make a comment on my holidaylist "don´t forget the bowieknife for Yosemite" :wink:

Das ist genau das, was wir im Yosemite-Park nicht sehen wollen…;-) (Germans?!, that´s exactly what we don´t want to see… hahaha)

Heheheh, kein problem, sie werden viele Japanischer auch sehen :)

Ehrie.
The Trader Vics in Bevery Hills is ok,style wise, the drinks are great.I heard the food is good but have yet to eat there, but it's very pricey, at least for my wallet.
You must go to the Tiki TI in east Hollywood, Echo Park area.
And Bahooka, in Rosemead.

Too bad you didn't come last summer,or earlier this year, you could have gone to Sam's Seafood,and Royal Hawiian in O.C. but alas they are gone. Dukes Resturaunt in Malibu or Huntington Beach aren't all tiki'd out, but good middle of the road Hawiian style, and good food.
Must See the Huntington Beach International Surfing Museum and the one or 2 surf shows there,I mentioned on surfguitar101 forum to you.

For San Diego,
The Hanalei Hotel is worth a view,and eat in the resturaunt, but the room price might be a bit out of your price range.
Also must do is Bali Hi on Shelter island.
across the street is Humphreys Hotels, but they are real pricey too.
But after Bali Hi go for awalk around the grounds there. maybe catch a show that they have on the stage outside or in the small bar inside.
that's just off the top of my head,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

congrads on the wedding!

the flamingo hotel has a very tropical backyard with full chapel services that apparently is very nice. Downtown there is a adorably kitch style chapel that is called "wee kirk o' the heather" nothing theme or tropical but very vintage. Also, across from Mandalay is a chapel called the "little church of the west" that is very cute and i think one of the oldest.

Vegas has very little tiki venues, but we have a lot of TIKI Ohana Spirit!!! as your date approaches we would love to make some plans to get some tiki action on with you all!

also, i highly recommend driving thru Death Valley and spending the night there on your way up to San Fran. Death Valley is beautiful and really is the best American desert landscape. there is a great inn there that would be a perfect honeymoon evening place!

E

I sent you a message... :)

S

I've been to a few weddings here, pretty nice, and ifya like Elvis, you can have a Blue Hawaii wedding, complete with Hula dancers! Also, they put it on the web so people that can't join you can still watch!
http://www.vivalasvegasweddings.com/

This chapel I haven't been, but looks nice.
The Tropicana is gettin older and probably will be going
soon I'm afraid. The hotel isn't the greatest, but they have a good pool (including an adult area, so if ya don't want screaming kids...) and their rates are pretty cheap. I have stayed there and had a nice time.
http://www.tropicanalv.com/weddings.asp

Hope that helps!
Sweetpea

[ Edited by: sweetpea 2006-07-27 08:55 ]

M

here is your party info;
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20934&forum=4&start=last&0

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-09-06 15:16 ]

Be sure to get your marriage license before midnight. The bureau isn't open 24 hours anymore.

E
ehrie posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 2:40 PM

hi folks,

tonite we visit forbidden island. we looking forward to meet some tikicentral people. I'm the guy with the black Johnny Cash t-shirt. see you in the evening from 8 pm.

nelli & ehrie

J

I hate to tell you this, but Forbidden Island is closed on Mondays, so in case you've made some special arrangements that we regulars don't know about, it'll be a pretty quick visit.

CL

FI opens tomorrow night around 5ish though!! If you're going to be in San Francisco, might I suggest the Tonga Room, Bamboo Hut, or Trader Sams tonight...and a visit to FI tomorrow night?

If you can hold out until Weds, the TC crew will be there. It's Weds night TC night. :)

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-09-11 15:40 ]

E
ehrie posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 4:53 PM

next try tonight... on monday we had a alcoholic accident at tonga room... it was great.

see you at fi this evening.

nelli & ehrie

E

wow! we had a fantastic time at fi.

thanks to mai tai, boo loo, tofu joe, the jab, humuhumu, hanford, haole aka mai, coco loco, eveline and brent and the fi staff for the honeymoon special.
when we are back in germany we post some pictures here.

tomorrow we try to visit munktiki.

nelli & ehrie

On 2006-09-14 11:28, ehrie wrote:
wow! we had a fantastic time at fi.

thanks to mai tai, boo loo, tofu joe, the jab, humuhumu, hanford, haole aka mai, coco loco, eveline and brent and the fi staff for the honeymoon special.
when we are back in germany we post some pictures here.

tomorrow we try to visit munktiki.

nelli & ehrie

It was a great to meet you both in person. Hope Monterey was wonderful! Look forward to seeing you on your next trip. :)

J

Nelli and Ehrie,

I enjoyed meeting both of you at FI on Wednesday, but I guess you don't remember me since I left a bit early. I hope you're still having a great time!

JenTiki

Pages: 1 22 replies