Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Blank slate, known as backyard. Need ideas!

Pages: 1 4 replies

J
J-Rod posted on Mon, Jul 10, 2006 7:24 PM

Howdy TCers! I recently stumbled upon this forum while searching for ideas on a small tiki bar to build on my deck. I figured some of you maybe able and willing to throw me ideas of how to add a bit of tiki flare to my somewhat plain back yard. I'm looking for ideas for plants and portable tiki items that I can move into the house or garage during the winter months. It's hard to see, but I've got 1 totem pole sitting by the doorwall.

Keep in mind I'm a 27 y/o single male with 2 male room mates (so it can't be too girlie LOL). I'm not extremely crafty but I can hang with any DYI builder. My deck is roughly 20x10 and my origional intent was to build something at the end of the deck (a bench with some planters, etc.) however, I'd like to build up a small tiki bar/hut that I can brake down and store.

Here's a shot from the corner of my yard. If you could toss me some suggestion and links to site's I'd appreciate it (I can search if you don't supply links).

Thanks! J-Rod

M

Welcome to TC

Use the search feature and you will have more reading and viewing pleasures to entertain your query for hours. After that, we will pile on.

Mahalo

S

First stop http://www.hardytropicals.com for plants that are hardy in your area.

I'd build an A-frame shaped arbour jutting out diagonally from the inside corner. I'd put a hot tub on the patio and two huge torches on either side, as you go out into the backyard. Timber bamboo railing and side supports, large float or lamp hanging from the A-frame peak, a meandering slate pathway leading over to the fireplace, where you have carved benches and stumps for enjoying the cozy fire by night.

I'd build an L-shaped tropical bed in the corner where the dog is sitting. Bamboo, bananas, palms, ferns, taro, etc. along that side of the deck, the corner, and along by the garage, with a short retaining wall of lava, bamboo, or wooden pier-like pilings.(maybe a little hidden pathway leading to what looks like the driveway) I might build a slate patio from there up to the firepit where the BBQ could reside.

M

I would tear down the house and start from scratch...
If that's not an option, I would cover the deck with a thatched roof & add nautical/tiki decore, add a lava rock pool with black bottom & water fall, 2 circular fire pits on opposite sides of the pool with a pathway that links everything together. The bar would be an A-Framed structure. Fill in the holes with tropical vegetation & more tikis.

Pages: 1 4 replies