Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Books with Carving Patterns??

Pages: 1 5 replies

does anyone know of a book for patterns to carve tikis??
thanks,
tropicalfreakfla

T

Pattern books are unnecessary. Find a photo of a Tiki you would like to carve, and depending on the size or scale you want your Tiki to be, sketch it onto your piece of wood using a grid pattern. Use soft pencil or charcoal. Look at the original and then look at your sketch and keep refining it. Leave out details until later.
tikiboy

L

I don't know of a pattern book and I'm no expert carver but thought I'd try to help you get started.

For my first tiki carving I looked at a little 4" tall tiki that I brought back from Hawaii. I used the small one to visualize the portions that needed removed and drew those out on the large one with pencil.

Some of the carvers here use meticulous drawings, others just pull ideas out of their heads and some like me just sketch it out on the log and start hacking. One drawback to the "sketch it out" method is the "plan" usually needs minor changes before getting a finished tiki.

When I sketch mine out, I first find the vertical centerline of the log then figure out how much vertical space is needed for each feature and mark those with a horizontal line. After I have my spacing figured I sketch in the features.

I've been looking around this site and keeping a file of photos with tikis I like to use for ideas later. If you find them showing several different views (front, sides, back) it helps gain a better perspective.

My advice would be try to copy one you see here on TC or use several "parts & pieces" then combine ideas into something you like.

The more you carve the easier it gets.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 20, 2006 4:18 PM

Mugs and the BOT are both pretty good sources. If there's a specific regional style you're interested in let me know, I've got a pretty comprehensive library of Pacific and Polynesian art.

Are there are any good resources on the various kinds of tikis, then? Is there a definitive Tiki bible that helps to explain all of the various styles of tiki from Marquesan to Maori to Tongan, etc. I know a lot is trial and error, but does anybody have any good book recommendations.

T

Pages: 1 5 replies