Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

NoCal Backyard remake (heavy load on images)

Pages: 1 10 replies

Living in Northern California, we don't get to use our outdoor spaces as much as the SoCal folks or Floridians, so we created an outside summer getaway. Most of the plants will die back in the wintertime, but we made sure we planted hardy ferns and others which will stick around in the rain and frost (we don't get snow in these parts). Our project started in October 2005, and was "completed" (is it ever done?) in early July 2006. The tiki hut was assembled by the company we bought it from (see http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18941&forum=12&vpost=223355 ), the tiki bar was purchased from Target, and the shed was purchased at Costco. All landscaping was done by my partner and me.

The back corner of the yard before any work started (the shed will be placed here)...

The front part of the yard and Monterey Pine (the sitting area and pond will be built here)...

The Monterey Pine is being removed (grew too big and had to be removed for safety reasons)...

Pine removed except stump and limb (under Jap Maple) which will be carved into a tiki by Jungle Trader (see pictures below)...

A look across to the patio viewed from the stump. The lawn and shrubs were fried from the sun since they never saw real sun before...

Newly seeded yard and patio area (tiki hut will be built on patio area...

Our dog, Hogan, viewing the pots of plants around where the stump remains...

Newly constructed tiki hut...

Newly built garden shed constructed over the leveled pine stump...

Blocks "glued" to the shed for future tiki enhancements...

Phase one of the tiki-fying of the shed. Bamboo trim added later...

Weed cloth laid before soil, gravel, rocks, and pond assembled...

7 yards of fill dirt added (looks like a lava flow!). Since the Pine tree roots and stump cannot be completely removed, we decided to build the yard up for planting...

Patting down the fill dirt and adding 2.5 tons of Sonoma fieldstones as planter boarders...

Bottom ring of above ground pond...

Pond and planters take shape...

Spotting plants in planters. Most cannas and other plants had been started in pots scattered around the yard so they were acclimated to our backyard conditions...

Completed sitting area, pond, and tiki-fied shed. Add umbrellas and table...

View to patio from behind pond...

Decked out for our July 2006 Tiki party & luau...

Tiki Bar and flower arrangements ready for party. Of course we moved the arrangements off the bar to serve Mai Tais and Coronado Luau Specials!...

The new sitting area ready for tiki party guests...

Sitting area from different angle, complete with plastic heron to guard the fish pond. (After the "local" heron ate 5 of fish, we resorted to purchasing a plastic heron to scare the real one away. So far it has been working.)...

During the construction process, I learned many tips and got many ideas from other TC postings. Thanks so much for these ideas! We are hoping to host an International Tiki Party on Saturday, Aug 12.

• Myke

Totally fabulous!!
Can't wait to see it~

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 13, 2006 9:28 AM

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That look AWESOME!

GROG like.

Hey that's a great looking backyard you have there!
After adding ponds and flowerbeds myself I can attest to all the hard work you two have put into it, and the wonderful feeling when you walk out into a backyard you can be proud of. It's an entirely new living & relaxing area to enjoy, thank you so much for sharing the process with us! We'll be adding a large shed and were wondering ho to go about tiki-fying it, thanks for the great inspiration.

Good idea with the plastic heron. I've had both heron & raccoon problems so I'll have to give that a try.

M

Teh sweetness!!! Very nice shed ideas. I have two problem sheds! Keep going! Thanks for sharing.

Mahalo

Mc

Thanks so much for your comments. Hauling all the dirt, boulders, pavers, and pea gravel sure gave us sore backs for a few weeks. But looking back, it is well worth the effort!!

My concept of the vinyl shed was not to puncture it with staple or nail holes, so I went out looking for some adhesive that would bond wood to vinyl. After a few attempts, we thought we found a good one, but after a few nights of warm and cool temperatures, the blocks didn't stick. I found that hot glue seemed to work the best... better than any of the polyurethane products the home improvement stores carried. With the blocks attached, I simply stapled the thatch on the roof, lauhana on the upper sides around the windows, and reed fencing to anchor the sides and front. I am not sure how this will all hold out over the winter months, but it really didn't take too much time at all.

Here are 2 additional pictures with the bamboo trim attached to cover the seams. I drilled holes in the bamboo, and attached them to the blocks using paneling nails.

• Myke

The bamboo really finishes it off.

Bamboo is like cowbell.

More Bamboo!

R

Everything looks incredible. Nice job.

K

Lookin' mighty fine! Did you ever give those lamp ideas a whorl?

Thanks again everyone!

KAHAKA,
My very next project is to try making one of those hanging lamps that you helped me gather materials for. I favor the volcano shaped lamp that Forbidden Island has. I am not sure I would be able to get the bottom made from pieces of bamboo, but I have some easier ideas for my first lamp project. So far, I have the tapa material, bamboo, woven seagrass trim, lamp fixture and 30 feet of electrical cord. I still need to drawn up the plans, purchase the plywood for the frame, and cut it out. I have been thinking about getting another fixture that I can use a pull chain to turn on/off the lamp, instead of the knob my present fixture comes with. Thanks again for the advise! Crafting time is getting close now!

• Myke

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2006-07-13 15:37 ]

Oh all that hard work completely pays off doesn't it??! You really have put a lot of effort and thought into this whole project. It looks just great! I could drink there.. mmhmm..yup.

I might have to work on my ol Rubbermaid sheds now!!

Wonderful job!!

Pages: 1 10 replies