Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

What Would Jab Do? DJ at Forbidden Island! Tuesday, July 18th

Pages: 1 20 replies

M

Come hear the silky smooth sounds of Alameda's own The Jab, as he spins the night away at Forbidden Island this Tuesday July 18th starting at 7pm.

Expect a mix of lounge/exotica/rockabilly/garage and anything else that pops into his well-coiffed head.

Forbidden Island
1304 Lincoln Ave (at Sherman)
Alameda, CA

510-749-0332

http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

Mahalo, team!

S

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i wish I could be there!!!
I guess I'll click my heels together next weekend and chant
"there's no place like FI, there's no place like FI" maybe it will work!
Pea

M

Expect a mix of lounge/exotica/rockabilly/garage and anything else that pops into his well-coiffed head

I am so there. Special long-distance dedication to all my old, still living, comprades in Orange County that night, a little Wall of Voodoo. "Call Box"!

Hey Mr. DJ,
midnite...just wanna have.

T

On 2006-07-14 22:51, midnite_tiki wrote:
Expect a mix of lounge/exotica/rockabilly/garage and anything else that pops into his well-coiffed head

I am so there. Special long-distance dedication to all my old, still living, comprades in Orange County that night, a little Wall of Voodoo. "Call Box"!

Hey Mr. DJ,
midnite...just wanna have.

You got it. I just pulled their mini-LP with "Ring of Fire" off the shelf to bring.

Hey Dean,
Sounds killer, wish I could be there.
Don't forget to play a surf song or 2 :)
If you have any.

By the way, My friend Kristena and I will be on KCR in San Diego
or http://www.kcrlive.com on Thurs. 7-20 from 4 to 6 pm pacific time. For the "Day at the Beach show"
If anybody is interested in listeing.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-07-17 00:13 ]

S

Jab, have I gotten you a Mercury Four surf cd?
Lemme know.
Pea

I'll try to make it!

T

On 2006-07-17 08:27, sweetpea wrote:
Jab, have I gotten you a Mercury Four surf cd?
Lemme know.
Pea

No, are they good? Never heard of 'em.

J

I'm looking forward to hearing The Jab spin.

I'm also looking forward to watching the room spin as I continue working my way through the FI drink menu. 23 down, 16 to go.

S

It's my roommate's surf band from up here.
I'll try to bring down a cd with me this weekend.
http://www.myspace.com/themercuryfour
Check em out!
Pea

I have one cd by them very good band.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What would Humu and Hanford do? Whatever Jab says to ...

We're there!

M

What Would Jab Do?

Well, one thing he did, he put behinds in the seats, Forbidden Island was hopping. For a Tuesday night: super hopping. The talented DJ got spinning vinyl around eight or so, and it was cool tunes, so many fine selections, from then on. At least until 9:15 when yours truly had to depart, as I am old and need my sleep. Unfortunately, due to my "early bird special" departure I did not get to enjoy any Wall of Voodoo (but Dean came through and had the EP on hand), next time! Loads of fine music nonetheless.

The man himself. It was "Nautical" Jab this evening. Ahoy!

Earlier in the evening I was commiserating with Tofu Joe, perusing the FI menu and analyzing the finer points of finer cocktails. We were soon joined by two of Scott's/Thayer's friends: Chris and Maria. A fine pair, indeed. After some small talk, an initiation was at hand. Hey, I been around a little, someone breaks out the flaming eyeball and the matching shirts/fez...I go with it! There was a cult, and it was cool, but I forsook the Kool-Aid...I had a fog cutter!

The flaming eyeball rocked! Even if "flaming" and any random body part does remind me of a trip to TJ in '88. I remember an oath back then too....maybe there's a connection? Nah, no chance, even though I left early I know there wasn't a donkey around. Martin is a stickler for that health code.

One more montage of the evening's DJ Jab fun: Tofu Joe sucking down some flaming eyeball (don't ask, it ain't on the menu); Fog Cutter, a fine well-done tropical libation; Scorpion Bowl, Maria's favorite, as bowl drinks go; Classic Daiquiri, a good one, I really like the daiquiris.

You know what this means, only two to go! Wait, three? No, two. A zombie, the mystery bowl, and the summit is mine. As long as my Sherpa sticks by my side and the weather stays agreeable, my lap through the Forbidden Island menu is finished some time Saturday night during the Crawl. Show up, join in the fun...help me knock out the mystery bowl. You may just see a ritual or two. Three, no...two!

Non-Alameda Resident, No Car, Long-distance, Champion!

My parents would have been so proud,
midnite

J

Hey, wait a minute! Bartender Jim told me no one was as close as me to finishing the menu, well, except for the five people who already have. Apparently, he hasn't been paying attention. Gee, now I feel like I drank that Fugu all by myself tonight for naught.

Here's a thought ... does anyone know if a wahine has finished the menu yet? Maybe I could set that record!

Let's see, if I go to FI every night this week and drink 4 drinks each night, then I could help Midnite with that Mystery Bowl on Saturday and we could finish it together. Hmmmmmm. Always fun to finish together :wink:

S

JenTiki -

If you are set on trying to do this, I'll accompany you :) . I am nowhere near finishing the menu BUT it's something I can aspire to! And even if I am the first runner up wahine to do it, it will be all right by me....

Suzanne

H

Great time, great tunes last night! Got to meet some fun new folks, which is always swell, and of course with Jab being the draw last night, the place was dressed to the nines.

JenTiki, Elise has beat you to the punch... she finished the menu a few weeks ago. By a stroke of luck, everyone who had finished the menu by that point was in the bar when she did it, here's a pic of the gang:

Strangely, they all need glasses....

I got a few pictures last night, if any of 'em are good, I'll post them later.

J

Wow, I'm bummed now! Oh well, I guess since I waited this long to be disciplined about anything in my life (and what an odd thing to choose to be disciplined about), I guess I'll continue my quest to complete the menu with no duplications until I've accomplished my goal. Even if it won't set any records or prompt a parade, at least I'll know I've done it. And by the time I'm done, I may need glasses too if last night is any indication. Oddly, my new contact lense prescription didn't seem quite strong enough after the Fugu and Royal Hawaiian.

The good news is I've heard they're coming out with a new menu next month, so maybe I can be one of the first to get through that one! A wahine can dream.

Jab, thanks for the great tunes! Sorry I couldn't stay long, the fugu hit me pretty hard.

I hope to see some of you tonight. #26 and 27 will go down this evening.

T

Strangely, they all need glasses....

Yep... 33 glasses, 2 Bamboo mugs, 1 Fugu mug, and 2 tiki bowls. :wink:

It was a great night listening to the Jab spin. Once we realized the DJ was fueled by a steady stream of Mai Tais, the evening ran swank as could be.

Flaming drinks, flaming eyeballs, a little cult ritual and meeting some new folks. Midnight..thanks for the photo montage (love the montage)...and great meeting paraniod123 who will be joining us in our somewhat inebriated slide through the next few days.

Great way to kick off the crawl weekend!

T

Mahalo for all those who came out to hear me spin! We still need to work out the technical details (equipment and sound) so the next one will be even better. We'll keep everyone posted.

Please don't hesitate to give me feedback next time (or send me a message): What you want to hear more of (I tried to please everyone with plenty of exotica, instrumentals, and surf, but let me know if you want more rockabilly or R&B or soul music), whether it was loud enough or too loud (I couldn't hear much where I was but when I went down the bar I could hear it fine), the sound quality.

midnite, sorry I didn't get the Wall of Voodoo in early on. It would have been too big a change from the exotica / instrumentals. I was saving it for later on but never got around to it. Thanks for posting the pictures! (In case anyone is wondering, I haven't ditched my signature glasses - I just can't read the record labels as well with them on)

Yes Jen, Alamedan Elisa was the first femme fatale to finish the menu, only 2 months after me :wink:, but that shouldn't discourage you from such a worthy endeavour.

I need to get me a flaming eyeball!

M

Smooth tunes and a good time indeed! Nice to meet some new folks, the Koalaman needs new friends. It was a fine start to Crawl Week '06. Although, I think today is a "Spare The Liver Day".

midnite, sorry I didn't get the Wall of Voodoo in early on. It would have been too big a change from the exotica / instrumentals. I was saving it for later on but never got around to it.

No worries, Jab. I enjoyed what I did get to hear. Plus, no one wants to see me get jiggy with "Can't Make Love". Although, my popping and botting moves wowed back in '83.

Alamedan Elisa was the first femme fatale to finish the menu, only 2 months after me , but that shouldn't discourage you from such a worthy endeavour.

True, it's an exhibition, not a competition. Anyhow, I cheated. My mother was Rosie Ruiz and my Dad a Nixon administration undersecretary of defense turned used car salesman. I got on the FI menu at Neptune's Garden, had a few sips, hopped on BART...got back to drinking at Krakatoa. No one's the wiser..heh heh hehhhh.

Indubitally! They taste like chicken...no wait, that's alligator. The globo ocular llameante tastes remarkably like a Forbiddden Island, with a little Visine. The burning sensation eventually goes away, and is replaced by a temporary blindness.

I'm a nice guy,
midnite

On 2006-07-19 10:42, thejab wrote:

That's a B.Y.O.M. drink... :wink:

Pages: 1 20 replies