Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Frame-TikiDrummers updated with artwork p2. 07/23/06

Pages: 1 33 replies

This one is for Tiki Bird and Utopian Dream. It will eventually frame out the orange and purple themed "One Enchanted Evening" print from Shag. Originally released at Disneyland in 2003.

This is one HEAVY frame. Thats 6 inch wide poplar on the sides and 3 or 4 inch wide poplar on the top and bottom.
Its 38 inches wide and 32 inches tall. The arms are moveable and poseable. There is a wing nut in the back that allows you to tighten the arm into any position. Its most likely that they will hang down over the knee to not block the artwork. The knees and arms assume the use of a wide matte to minimize blocking. Sorry for the cropped pic (stupid shutterfly)

The heads use a 3 piece glue up before they are carved. One piece sticks up off the top of the frame and another layers on the front to give the head depth. I used a plunge router with several different bits to get the shape of each head cut. (I dont own a scroll saw)

The orchid is a two piece carving assembled after it is carved. Its removable from the frame to keep it safe during shipping. Very delicate carving. Probably time for me to look into learning the hook knife.

The text was sketched using an art projector and then a combination of hand tools and dremmel bits were required to get into the tiny crevices. The letters are hand textured with a gouge.

Next is TikiWahine !!!!!

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-07-23 08:04 ]

Another masterpiece! this turned out beautifully!!!! The detail is awesome (the cracked wood, texture, the coloring) - it all came out looking great!

I had the pleasure of spying it at Onas wee little shindig and I can attest to how large the frame is and how heavy! Tbird and utopiandream are lucky indeed!

you gots mad skillzzz!

that is awsome!

umm good and stuff - U NO it!!!

Keep on Rockin'

H

Great work man :)

Damn!!! That thing really turned out sweet! Seeing it in raw form at 'Onatiki's was impressive, but now I'm stunned. Great work.

B

Monkeyman, this is absolutely the King of frames. The Orchid id awesome as is the whole frame. I Love the idea of the movable arms. How do you come up with these ideas. Just another gem added to the Monkeymanlist of Awesome Frames. Thanks for sharing and giving us the step by steps.

S

MM-

insane! You somehow manage to top yourself with each frame.

Wow, another great frame from Monkeyman!!

This turned out far more beautiful than I expected, having seen the unfinished piece at Onatiki's.

I'm so glad you decided to go with the orchid. I think they are one of the most striking features in the ETR.

Well done.

Lovin' the orchid, you continue to amaze with your fine talents.

CA

very nice!

I would love to watch you work, especially putting on the finish. It must be breathtaking. Awesome frame!

I also, like to watch.

I wish I had some local carvers to quietly observe on occasion.

Thanks everyone.

I feel very fortunate that the customers who are waiting have such diverse artwork for me to frame. It never gets old because each piece is so different than the last.

I am also thankful to folks like TikiBird and Utopian Dream who just let my mind wander and are willing to let me do whatever I choose. It kinda sucks when someone says "I want a tiki this style with a zippered jacket and space boots with a geodesic dome behind him etc etc". It challenges me to figure out the fun stuff.

Anyone who wants to stop by and watch me carve or paint or whatever is ALWAYS welcome to. I would love the company during those long stretches of silence and wood chips flying. Vista, CA (PM or Email me)

I am always stocked up on Monkeypods so you will get refreshments if you visit. Plus you can get previews of the Tiki Documentary if you like

MM , you passion for detail and craftsmanship is second to none.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring works.

J

The Drummers are some of my favorites! Excellent job.

JP

A few more pics with the artwork and matting complete.

Thanks Framefetish.com

T

Again, wheres the frame to go around that artwork that you have posted. The moveable arms, first time I have seen that.

You know what I think is funny is there are probably super rich people with billion dollar homes and million dollar painting that don't have these truly work of art frames that TC members have.

B

MM, that frame looks like a million bucks with a piece of art in it! Very Well done.

H

Super! You've got a certain style that is uniquely yours-never seen anything like those frames. I went to your website and saw more--extremley impresssive work. I'll have to admit the monkey hoots startled me (and my dog) not just once.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jul 23, 2006 2:27 PM

After looking at this piece and checking out your site, all I can say is WOW! Your detailing is astonishing. The Tangaroas on your furniture pieces look great too. I wish you weren't so far away, as I've got a piece from the Cook Islands that would look perfect with one of your frames.

veddy nice, veddy nice!
That's the kind of frame you'd tear the artwork to keep.

TB

The frame turn-out awesome, better than Beth & i could have ever expected. Cant wait to pick it up from you!

Excellent work monkeyman! The creativity and detail blow me away.

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2006-07-31 10:40 ]

Hey, Derek. Stopped by the mexican market today & thought of you. Nina & I will be producing our own monkeypods soon! T-Bird & U-Dream will be extremely happy with that brilliant frame of yours, I'm sure. Looking forward with anticipation to the next "new heights" of monkeyman artistry.

Aaron

Holy crow, Monkeyman! Pix of the frame don't come close to doing your artistry justice.
Here's the boys in their new home--you certainly must come by and visit them sometime!

D

MM! Every frame you do gets better and better...how is that possible?!? Perfectly beautiful!

that is awsome. what talent.

MM,

You should quit your accounting job during the day and make molds of that frame and go big time!

Maybe you could sell them to Disneyland ???

T-Birds? You must do something with that white wall !!!

It's blinding!!!!

There's always a critic :wink:
(yet another project on the backburner...)

On 2006-08-07 00:02, RevBambooBen wrote:
T-Birds? You must do something with that white wall !!!

It's blinding!!!!

That's excellent work...looks like it came straight out of the ETR. Super polychrome job, too.

T

Simply gorgeous, that piece deserves a wall, in a museum.

Bosko

H

MM that is just beautiful, love everything about it. You are a true talent.

Pages: 1 33 replies