Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Identify this tiki/totem mug?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hello;

New poster here--- my first post, in fact.

I was moved to post, by a recent accident involving this tiki mug:

It hasn't totally shattered, but it's not usable any more.. large crack down the back, and it's threatening to break into at least 2 pieces... you can feel it shifing when you touch it, in fact.

I'm rather heartbroken.

I'm not a tiki "collector" per se, I just like drinkin' from tiki cups. I used this one for coffee and/or milk every morning. I had two others that were similar-- but with more human-looking faces... looks like they were made to stack together & form a totem pole. One of the cups didn;t quite fit the other two, though.. plus, it was a 'lefty' cup. I just picked them up at a garage sale-- no info about them.

I have done a bit of searchin' around ebay, google-- and a little here but haven't seen this exact style anyplace.

Can anybody tell me something about it, maybe identify the brand, model, etc so I could research & possibly replace it?

C
Chub posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 10:42 AM

I would say this in not tiki at all, but is Native American.

M

Alaskan? Totem looking!

yup, looks native american, haida or Kwakiutl design by the looks of it. Maybe our neighbors from canada could shed more light on that particular type of cup.

Any markings on the cup? initials? made in? anything?

H

It looks like it comes from the same set as a mug Tiki Kiliki asked about in this thread, back in 2002:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1516&forum=5

Yes, I think mine and that one from the prior thread, must DEFINTELY be related. Not just the beak, but also the eyes of that one match the eyes of my 'human' looking cup.

Thanks for finding that thread... cool design. Notice the guy says his friend has a green one just like it... probably the same as mine.

Next day or so, I'll snap a pick of my only surviving member of the set (sniff) and post it...

Edited to add: From that prior thread:

Just don't drink coffee out of it - it's paper thin!

I dunno-- it survived the coffee... I was actually washing it by hand, and it slipped, bounced once on a plate in the sink.. I caught it. The plate survived, the cup didn't.

It's still holding together-- In fact, the pic above was taken after I broke it. What are the odds I could repair ir myself?

[ Edited by: HarveyMidnight 2006-07-17 06:12 ]

On 2006-07-16 20:20, Polynesiac wrote:

Any markings on the cup? initials? made in? anything?

Nope, sorry. Nothing. The bottom is completely smooth.

Edited to add--- ome small fact: Previous thread, the guy mentiones he got his in Tennessee & has a friend in Atlanta, GA with a similar/identical green cup. I live in Alabama. Southeastern US, all of us-- maybe it's something local?

[ Edited by: HarveyMidnight 2006-07-17 06:37 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies