Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Luau Night at the Egyptian Movie Palace July 23rd, 2006!!!

Pages: 1 18 replies

YES! It's that time of year again, it's Luau Night at the Egyptian Movie Palace in Hollywood. Bringing together film and music, with carvers and vendors, dancing and food for everyone. Two great films and special rarities you can't see anywhere else.

You can also get information at :
http://www.americancinematheque.com/mastercalendar.htm

Hope to see you there!

Looks like fun and I loved the one last year. Unfortunately it looks like I will not be able to make this one this year.

Not that I can replace PiPhiRho, butI think I will be able to make this one.

Enchanted Tiki Luau Night & Elvis: Sunday, July 23rd

Luau & entertainment from King Kukelele and The Friki Tiki's between a Double Tiki Feature. Tiki Vendors in the courtyard from 1:00pm on.

4:00pm Movie: Enchanted Island starring Dana Andrews & Jane Powell, with preshow selection of shorts by Kevin Kidney

7:00pm Movie: Blue Hawaii starring Elvis

What's on the menu and where can I get a poster?

On 2006-07-18 12:57, spy-tiki wrote:
What's on the menu and where can I get a poster?

Last year it was catered by Gelson's

Damn damn damn!! I was looking fwd to this again.
But a surf band fromthe Mid west is playing at the Surf Museum in HB
till 3:30 or 4. I could jam up there after, but it would take awhile, and I'd rather see the first movie, not the Elvis one.
It seems this is starting earlier this year?

what to do what to do?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P

Yeah, that's the problem. It's way too early. I could get there by 7, but most of it will be over by then. No point.

Just to clarify for you guys who will be coming from other parties, we won't be playing live and eating and dancing until probably 5:30 or 6pm after the Enchanted Island plays. Also, the Enchanted Island may not start until about 4:30pm after the introductions and the pre-show. You may not miss too much if you show up a little later.

ooops

[ Edited by: KAMAKOONGA 2006-07-22 09:12 ]

Pre-Party Saturday July 22nd at the Tonga Hut....FREE Admission...

Great DJ, Trader Rick! Surf, Exotica, Lounge, and a splash of Rockabilly music...

I make a mean Mai Tai and a sinful SATAN!

Come tear it up at the after party! The TONGA HUT (1958) is North Hollywood's oldest TIKI Bar!

More INFO:

The TONGA HUT
12808 Victory Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

MAP:
http://maps.citysearch.com/location/325813?

http://myspace.com/tongahut

See ya there!
Kamakoonga

[ Edited by: KAMAKOONGA 2006-07-21 10:34 ]

[ Edited by: KAMAKOONGA 2006-07-21 10:36 ]

FYI....

Separate ticket prices for the films. Or enjoy just the luau and the music, or buy a ticket which includes all the films and the luau. For movies, General: $12.00, Sr/Students: $10.00, AC Member: $9.00 *Luau Dinner Only: $15.00 or Movies & Luau: General: $25.00, Sr/Student: $23.00 and Member: $22.00. *A limited number of dinners will be sold at the door. To guarantee a dinner ticket please purchase in advance.

The VooDoo Room is approximately 3 1/2 miles away from The Egyptian Theatre. If you're looking for a place to have Brunch before the show this is the place to go.
Brunch is served from 12-5. Make sure you order a Blackberry Mojito. SoccerTiki, Tigerlily, Roxanne, and I are planning on meeting there around 2.

VooDoo Room
8948 Santa Monica Blvd
Phone# 310-657-4832

I want to goooooooo! I have to work arggghhh!

B

The Egyptian Theater Luau! Who would have thunk it! My sailing mentor, Dwight long, who sauiled around th eowlrd, called and asked if I wanted to go to
premier of Cinerama, at the Egyptian Theater in 1955! I was working late at Disneyland and was rushed gettign dressed. My cousin, Billie Lou, had lent me this wonderful lacy red top, whcih I would wear with a black skirt and 3" heels and her mink cape! I dashed into a lingere store on the way home and grabbed a black strapless bra to go with the see thru top... without trying it on! and off we went.. he was always just a little bit tight.. and so he parked 2 blocks away, instaed of valet parking, and during that walk.. my bra kept slipping more and more, until it was around my waist.. just as we hit the kleig lites and moveie stars!!, I clutched the mink cape around me, and when D. asked me if something were wrong, and why was I acting so strang, I told him, and he said, "For heaven's sake! Go into the womens' and pull it up!" So I did, and when I got out, ran right into Clark Gable who had a beautiful blonde on his arm! Oh! Joy!.. but by that time my undergarment had slipped again, so I was happy to get to my seat! Dwight knew a lot of the stars..but I couldn't move from my seat to be introduced to them!! Oh! Well! Just one of lifes little disapointments!
I would have loved going to that luau.. maybe next year! Auntie Bungy

You can buy your tix for today's event on Fandango. http://www.fandango.com :)

any reviews or Photos please???

I was at the HB surf Museum till 4:30, then the Madeira( surf band from the midwest)came to my place for BBQ and drinks, before drive to Santa Barbara.
No way I could make it to the event.

thanks in advance,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-07-24 19:47 ]

Here's a Giant WOOOHOOOOO! (Round of applause) to King Kukulele, Falling Cocos (Mean Gene & Lisa), Tiki Tony, & Adrift for putting up with the heat at The Egyptian Theatre yesterday. Both of the movies were full of Tiki's and lots of Hawaiian Tunes. Being inside the theatre was the perfect way to stay cool on such a hot afternoon. :) Mucho Mahalo to everyone who put this fun event together.

Pages: 1 18 replies