Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Myers Legend

Pages: 1 7 replies

S

I found a bottle of this today and passed. I picked up a bottle of Sea Wynde instead.

Any thoughts on the Myers Legend?

Well, I've seen it around for about $47, but I've not yet been too tempted to buy it. I would like to try it though.

And I've heard enough bad things about Sea Wynde that I'm in no hurry to spend the cash on a bottle of it till I try it somewhere else first.

Chris

RB

Kona Chris, I found a mini-bottle of Sea Wynde last year to give it the taste test. Didn't like it that much, and certainly not for price of a full-size bottle.

T

I have tasted Myers's Legend in a bar (Cafe Rouge in Berkeley, CA), and I thought it was an amazing rum. It's been a long time so I can't give you any details, and I rarely see it in a store so I have no bottle at home. I would put it in my top 20 of favorite rums. Definitely different then Sea Wynde, and better IMO.

T

The glory that is the Hi Times Wine Cellar and Liquor Store carries Myers Legend. I bought a bottle the last time I was there for $40. I agree with the Jab on this-- it's amazing. Well, I mean, you're not going to piss yourself when you taste it for the first time, but if you drink enough of it you might.
It's good stuff. You wouldn't be disappointed if you went back and picked up a bottle.
It's a strong dark rum, goes down good, bold and flavorful, but not too sweet.
I've tried it for sipping. I've also used it as a float on a Mai Tai-- both experiences have been very good.
It's very similar in taste to Myers normal offerings, but you can tell the quality is higher. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think regular ol' Myers is swill, it's good stuff. But this is better.
If you've ever compared Captain Morgan Regular vs. Private Stock rums, it's sort of the same thing. I just think that on the quality ladder you're starting at a higher rung.

T

Jeff Berry talks about both here:

http://www.beachbumberry.com/bumonrum/

T

On 2006-07-19 14:43, TikiSan wrote:
Jeff Berry talks about both here:

http://www.beachbumberry.com/bumonrum/

I like his selections, but he doesn't like the sweet rums at all. Myself I like the good sweeter rums like Zacapa Centenario (one of my favorites), as well as the less sweet premium rums.

Captain Morgan Private Stock is wonderful.

Pages: 1 7 replies