Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Available Palm Logs Thread: 9 logs in San Diego+2 in HB-free to carvers

Pages: 1 5 replies

Some guy just called me offering up 9 Mexican Fan Palm logs. They are in his front yard and free for the taking. He said they are 4' to 8' long and are very heavy. He wanted to carve some himself, but the wife said they had to go.

UPDATE: at first I was going to pass on these, but after seeing them, I decided to take them for myself. Before I get them though, any of you are welcome to go get any of them you desire. One or all. No one has contacted me about these yet, so I'll be glad to take them if no one else wants them. Just don't ask for any logs from me after I get them back to my house...EVER! This is your last chance...
Check the pictures of them in the next post...
PM me if interested...
Buzzy

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-27 15:33 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-29 14:16 ]

I went and checked out the logs today. Much nicer than I expected. I will end up taking all of these since they are so good. So, most of these will now be available to anyone else who wants them for free, until I actually go and get them myself. Then you are SOL. People ask me where I get all my logs all of the time and say that they cannot get good logs. I'm surprised that not one person showed any interest at all in these. Oh well! I'll just keep taking all the logs, and all the jobs that come with them...

These were from the top of the tree and are around 4-6' each. About 10-13" diameter. sometimes the upper most logs are prone to extensive cracking. This is the new growth section and is not as dense as the lower portions. You can see the rings around couple of logs(looks like tires)This shows the two types of composition of these logs. The dark stuff on the outside is the firm old growth. The white center is softer, newer and wetter. This section usually has so much water in it, that it cracks upon drying throughout. Look for logs that keep the edge pattern all the way through the center, like in the last picture on this post. If you get an old log from the bottom of the tree like this, it is about as perfect of a piece of wood to work with as I could possibly imagine. They never crack and are soft and easy to work with, relatively speaking.

These two are 8-9' and about 17-19" diameter. Huge!

That is one of the most beautiful things on earth...8' long-15" diameter

When using Mexican Fan Palms, you want logs that look like this on the end. This tree was cut down months ago and has no cracks in the base logs whatsoever. These will hold fine detail and be firm and perfrect to the center. These type rarely crack. This particular one was a very old, well established, and slow growing tree. It was grown in a hot inland environment and was not overwatered. Trees like this are an absolute premium.

Act now! Snooze you lose. I'm starting to haul these to my house next week. Tick, tick, tick...
Log Baron Buzzy Out!

Jeez Buzz, why don't you call Bosko in Escondido. I'm sure he would love to have a few of those. Those are nice and tight.
Or call Crazy Al too. He needs some for his charity hatchet jobs.

Get in touch with your inner native!!
Create Paradise!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-07-27 15:37 ]

Buzz....

Those are nice logs! I'd come get 'em myself, but I have more logs than space for logs right now. Thanks for offering them up!

I have 2 big fat logs that need to be gone from my workshop.

1 mex bout 3'x2.5'dia.

1 Queen bout 4' x 2.5 dia'

Anyone interested give a shout!

Bring a good back!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-07-29 07:10 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 29, 2006 12:03 PM

Ben,how come Crazy Al hasn't swiped them from you, yet?

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-07-29 12:04 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies