Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Crazy Road Trip - The Longest Street In THe World

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

As some of you may or may not know, Yonge Street here in Toronto is indeed the longest street in the world. Mr. Fishstick and I decided to take a few days over the holiday and see if we can drive it to the end. We will freeze our cabooses off (it starts in Toronto and heads north) but it will be fun. I plan to do a photo pictorial and commentary too for when I get back. ANyone got any suggestions for road trip shenanigans, or does anyone collect photos of things (large roadside attractions, for example) they would like to see? Anyone want to challenge me to a roadkill count? I await suggestions to make this trip more eventful and to fill in the lonely miles between civilized outposts!

T

Jack's Hawaiian
Village, 29 Government Rd W, Kirkland Lake, ON, P2N 2E3

And I can check this place out too! I wonder what it is?

On 2002-12-18 06:05, tikifish wrote:
I plan to do a photo pictorial and commentary too for when I get back. ANyone got any suggestions for road trip shenanigans, or does anyone collect photos of things (large roadside attractions, for example) they would like to see?

How about roadside mattresses? :)

--cindy

What a great idea! Is this Yonge Street like a strip? I love strips...Here in Seattleville we have Highway 99 which is essentially a strip that runs from Tacoma to Marysville (smallish town north of Everett which is a smalish city north of Seattle). In various sections it's known as Pacific Highway South, Aurora, Rucker, and Evergreen. Along it's route you can find just about everything from baby clothes stores to places to buy tombstones (speaking of which, Kurt Cobain bought his shotgun at a shop on Highway 99).

T

Indeed it is a strip - at least in Toronto, and all the way out to the burbs - but then once you get out a few hundred kilometres its just scenery with a few small towns inbetween. Anyway, I looked into it, and turns out that it is not advised to do in the winter, unless you are suicidal. Too cold, chance of getting stuck in a blizzard are good, etc. Also all the weird attractions clse after labour day. So the trip is postponed til summer. Just hope Jack's Hawaiian Village and Restaurants survives until then!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/series/yonge/

A litte info on someone who made the trip previously...

Pages: 1 6 replies