Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Kirby!!! This Is War!! c-AL First Tiki Necklace

Pages: 1 15 replies

CA

here is an item I'm working on for release at My Ten Year Show in Long Beach Aug 18th....

'06 marks Ten years since the first tiki necklace I carved for mass-production with my 'Realistic Wood Look'...

ya right, but I did cast allot of these guys personally in my first few years in the tiki biz.... this was the first of five tiki necklaces that I had in my '96 catalog in natural, green, black and red colors,... also available as keychains.
Back then, other then Tiki King, Coco-Joe's in Hawaii was the only Co. making the neck charms and keychains. They where hard to get a-hold of and soon went out of business. the king is still around...
Tiki neck charms where one of the first things Tiki fans asked for. Just under 2 1/2 inches, this guy was considered to big for the majority of the buying public. At $8 a pop they didn't sell all that well ten years ago. At $4 a pop wholesale they proved to labor intensive to cast, stain, drill and string myself... so I stopped making them.

A little drifty toucan told me Tiki Tony found one of these necklaces for sale on the Huntington Beach pier and sent him a carving... he can't sell his hand carved one of a kind drift wood neck charms fast enough for $10....yikes! labor intensive???
Thank the Tikis! that I fund a bag or two of rejects that i stashed way.. i started drilling and staining and stringing... I couldn't sell them fast enough for $10.... till that Tony got so dang popular with real wood tikis...... However all my found rejects sold....

any way as part of my 'ten year' shows, I'm re-releasing this first design with a small addition to the original sculpt....

Available in numbered short runs of custom colored resin, in an array of colors....

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-08-12 09:57 ]

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 21, 2006 3:41 AM

How do you make the casting from the original piece?

CA

Tiki magic!
nothing a good book on mold making couldn't tell ya...

You da man...

MD

Ten freakin' years! Awesome.
I have two of your chess pieces sitting on our entertainment center and they are great. Lookin all happy and cool watching the family roll by.
What other colors comprise the array?

B

Man, How Cool is that!?? WAY Cool! I want one..

C' Al! Congrats on ten years of setting the standard for design and execution and just overall wow factor! If I could have 1/10th the freakin' skills you got, I'd be feeling good about my carvings! I think that's why I'm painting more! haha! anyhow! thanks for inspiring!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 21, 2006 3:29 PM

Doesn't matter, found another thread that explains what I wanted to know.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-07-23 23:46 ]

CA

Certain Annihilation!!
OK Kirby.... I'm a lover not a fighter so your resin army is safe...... does your tiki need oiling?? (B.Ben told me to say that)

any way a bit-o stringing to prepare the 100 Black!!!

a bit o paint for the 'Spacial Forces'

The logistics of such the troops sucks, but they look good all together.

i dig the black and bright green ones, c'al. i hope you have a couple left after long beach.

Hey Crazy Al-

Have you been reading the Un-Tiki Thread on the main page?

I'm not sure about those colors.

Some might not like them.

Sharpen your axe for Catalina. Just in case.

I like them and still think YOU ARE TIKI.

Hey Al - you were way ahead of your time... Really!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 13, 2006 2:26 PM

On 2006-08-12 20:54, Sam Gambino wrote:
Hey Al - you were way ahead of your time... Really!

The key word is WERE. Now you're just a washedup has-been trying to relive your previous glory. Long-live KIRBY!!!!

(P.S. Love ya Al! Arrrrrrr!!!!!!!!)

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 13, 2006 2:39 PM

On 2006-08-12 19:42, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey Crazy Al-

Have you been reading the Un-Tiki Thread on the main page?

I'm not sure about those colors.

Some might not like them.

Sharpen your axe for Catalina. Just in case.

I like them and still think YOU ARE TIKI.

B-Ben,
What credentials do you have for deciding what's Tiki? Now if you were the grandson of somebody like Don the Beachcomber, Thor Heyerdahl,Leroy Schmaltz, or such, I could see how you would be qualified to offer your opinion.

(P.S. Love ya Ben! Arrrrrrr!!!!!!)

Counting down the days to your Long Beach Ten Year Retrospective, C-Al! Looikng forward to it.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Aug 13, 2006 6:20 PM

Oh shit it looks like im gonna need sum reinforcements... Thats an impressive group of soldiers you got there dude...It lookes like your setting up for tiki world domination...hile crazy al....

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 5:39 AM

hmmm a C'Al VS Kirby chess board? :)

Pages: 1 15 replies