:down: aquarj:

:down: Coco Loco & Tofu Joe chat with Dangergirl:

:down: paranoid123 & aquarj chat with tikicleen and her mom:

:down: Mai Tai sits and enjoys a Mai Tai:

:down: Boo Loo:

:down: The Jab:

Martini Monkey

:down: Bartender Jay takes great care of us:

:down: Martini Monkey regular Gigantalope created these items -- they're a donation for Saturday's prize drawing, courtesy of both Martini Monkey and Gigantalope! Everyone was drooling over them, they're fab -- mahalo nui loa!

:down: My Thai Kaffir Lime cocktail, Peppered version, with a pineapple juice chaser -- so delicious!

:down: Tofu Joe, Boo Loo & The Jab make the scene:

:down: A Jab's eye view of Martini Monkey:

:down: Mai Tai & Coco Loco with a new friend -- one neat thing about Martini Monkey is that all the patrons are in travel mode -- headed home, headed on vacation, headed out for work, everyone's got a story and is in a friendly mood:

Smoke Tiki

Smoke Tiki had the unenviable task of following Martini Monkey, and it couldn't hold a candle -- but no surprise there. We still had a great time, because the company was fantastic.

:down: Tiki Cleen:

:down: The patio area has a few of these stone Moai, and there are some nice carved tikis inside at the main bar:

More pictures to come after tonight!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2012-04-12 16:33 ]

great pics.... I wish I was there.

Have fun

Humuhumu, you are the great chronicler!

I always look forward to your reports!

Great pics!

The first leg of the Bay Area crawl was some fun. Unfortunatley, I was unable to make it down to Stanford for the garden tour, but was able to meet up with everybody at TVPA. The early evening patio session was sweet and it was very cool to meet some new folks who traveled near and far to be a part of the festivities. Of course it is always good to catch up with the old buddies as well. I am also very glad to have made it over to the Martini Monkey. I was questioning if gettin' your buzz on at the airport was a good idea or not. It was really cool and I am stoked that it was included. I even got a free piece of cake. Amazinglu enough, I was able to navigate San Jose and find Smoke Tiki with no problem and pulled into a parking spot right in front of the place. However, when I turned the corner and took one look at the line and heard the loud crappy music, I let out a sigh, got back in my van and proceeded to get lost in the tangled streets of San Jose. Thanks again to Hanford and Humuhumu for their tireless efforts making sure we all were set up and taken care of. The passports were a tasty addition, add scrapbooking to Humu's list of many talents. I have a few pics from Thursday over on Barefoot Bloggin' for your viewing pleasure.
See you homies tonight on the Eastside,
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: chongolio 2006-07-22 10:35 ]

More pictures from another swell evening!

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/sfcrawl2006/friday/

Friday - San Francisco

Trad'r Sam

:down: First-timers Maui Matt & Mary, visiting from Southern California, get their passports:

:down: Sweetpea, who has been coming to the crawl since the first one in early 2000:

:down: Suzanne, who with Sweetpea is generously donating gift bags to people on the bus:

:down: Bohemian's pal Chris, who also came all the way out from Florida:

:down: Sweetpea & Suzanne get the joint jumping:

:down: Mary & Maui Matt excitedly dig into Tiki Road Trip:

:down: Erik:

:down: Suzanne, with one of the more ridiculous drinks this world has to offer, Trad'r Sam's Volcano:

:down: Hanford's life-long friend and Forbidden Island regular, Jason:

:down: Old habits die hard -- Jason & Hanford met when they took a computer class when they were 9 years old:

:down: Hanford mingles with the crawlers:

Tonga Room

:down: Tikiphile, globtrotter and artist Lemon:

:down: Some views of the lovely Tonga Room:

:down: First-time crawlers Rita & Chris:

:down: Forbidden Island regular Paul:

:down: Erik's lady friend:

:down: Bohemiann's Hurricane is ambitiously strawed:

:down: Tofu Joe fills out a Tiki Central nametag:

:down: Halfway through the Crawl, Hanford is happy to see everyone so happy:

:down: Crawlers Jeff & ???:

:down: Crawlers Chris & Keith:

Bamboo Hut

:down: The calm before the storm... I was able to get some rare (to me) pictures of a serene, empty Bamboo Hut, before the crawlers arrived -- it's more lovely then I thought it was (even though I've been there plenty of times before):

:down: Mig is finally able to come play with us!

:down: Mig's better half (and old-timey TCer), AppleVenus:

:down: Mig gets a bowl drink:

:down: Booths of happy crawlers:

:down: We all missed Martiki very much -- in years past, he's been the primary force behind the crawl, this year he was busy holding down the fort at Forbidden Island.

:down: Tiki girls -- Suzanne, Sweetpea (twice), me, and Boo Loo:

Trader Vic's San Francisco

:down: Midnite Tiki, who can't be trusted with passports:

:down: cynfulcynner:

:down: JenTiki:

:down: Mrs. Midnite:

:down: Bill, a.k.a. Mr. Tiki Vixen, a.k.a. the Silver Tiki Fox:

:down: Tiki Vixen:

:down: Brad, a Tiki-Ti lover up from Southern California:

:down: Dave:

:down: Trader Vic's San Francisco's primo bartender, Lars (who's staying another year!):

:down: Midnite represents the collective missingness of Martiki for the group:

:down: Straws galore:

:down: Mai Tai, I'm not quite sure what he's doing, but it's klassic:

:down: More revelry:

Whew! Okay, now I've gotta jet all quick-like to the East Bay!

M

Passport!? I ain't got no passport. I don't need no passport! I don't have to show you any stinking passport!

Fight the power, the man's been keeping us down too long.

Going underground,
cpt. "gold hat" midnite

ps Who needs a miracle? Passports get your passports, ask me how.

M

sniff

oh, you guys. i feel all warm and fuzzy.

Hey All!

I miss you guys so much! I was hoping to see you all again at the crawl this year since I had to miss Oasis, but I moved to Colorado in May and missed this too! Boo Hoo! :(

HumuHumu, you look sexy as ever! :wink: (You look sexy too, Hanford!) And it was nice to see pics of some other familiar faces having fun -- MaiTai, Sweetpea, Chongolio, and the rest...

I've been out of commission for a while, and haven't been following the posts, but now that I found out there's actually a small group of Tikiphiles here in Denver, I'll hopefully find my way back into the community. And I'm flying out to SF for next year's crawl for sure, no matter where the hell I'm living!

If you guys are ever in the Denver area, please look me up!

:tiki: Tonga-in-Chiki

Tofu Joe and Vixen

WineBear, Woo, and friend

Unga Bunga, JenTiki, & Chongolio (suck on straw, not blow)

Jungle Trader and BambooBen with Benzart tiki. I'm holding an invisible cup.

Crazy Al and I

Tiki at Entry to Forbidden Island. Imagine the F.I. logo in the dark area at top of image. I love this one. Mysterious.

Here's a classic image for all of you

Inky casting her spell on Smiley man (it's working, he's still smiling)

SweetPea's Aloha spirit.
I was there with Stuckie and I swear he wasn't high
[/img]

Bill, Coco Loco, U.B. and Denise

Suzanne and her Tiki friend

Spirit of Aloha, D & Boo Loo

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-07-23 16:43 ]

Wow! are you sure I wasnt high?
Man thats the oddest/worst photo of myself I've ever seen. Thats a hard one to even try and mimic.

Im still in recovery.

-stuckie

[ Edited by: stuckieshaft 2006-07-23 17:57 ]

I stuccoed, sanded, and polished my liver and stuck it in the fridge, ready for next year.
Had an excellent time!

S

These are so great! Um, except for that one of me at the end of the night at Kona on Saturday.... must have been a long weekend because I sure don't remember that photo being taken!

Hhahahahahaha :D:D

I had a BLAST! I can't wait for next year!

Suzanne

Okay. Next year we do ALL the days! What a fantastic time! This was our first crawl and now have caught the bug. Hanford did a wonderful job at picking out some cool places, and scored big on the "room with a view and bar" at Trader Vic's Emeryville. Humuhumu was right there with her big, heartwarming smile making sure everyone was enjoying themselves. The Passport was a great idea, though I only got 2 Tiki Bob stamps in mine. The weather was a bit hot (I heard 103 in Oakland and Santa Rosa), but the drinks were cold and delicious (add the Monkeypod to my list). We had lunch at TV Emeryville with Tiki Woo and her friend Lee, before we joined the group, but those puupuus sure looked inviting. Forbidden Island is the BEST! I got my second FI mug (it is my drinking vessel of choice at work) and along with the Passport, feel I have my Tiki Crawl SF 2006 souvenirs. Martin... 2 thumbs up!!!

It was great seeing all the familiar TC ohana, and meeting new TC folks and some lurkers too! And, Mai Tai, Loco and I matched in our "outfits"...

Next stop.... Hooptylau??

Hug thanks to Hanford & Humuhumu and EVERYONE who knows how to do it up right!

• Myke

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2006-07-24 11:26 ]

H

Alright, brace yourselves -- here are my pictures from Saturday!

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/sfcrawl2006/saturday/

Saturday was a doozy -- a HUGE mahalo to all of the crawlers for making the day so fun! I was kept pretty busy with passports, so I don't have a ton of candid pics (except at Forbidden Island -- as ever, it was my oasis), but thanks to the passports I have a lot of photos of the folks who joined us on Saturday. What a fantastic surprise to see Crazy Al & Bamboo Ben! Another massive mahalo to the wonderful people who donated items to the drawing on Saturday night -- I'll thank you individually on the other crawl thread. Now -- to the photos!

Trader Vic's Emeryville

For the first time in crawl history, the back patio was not freezing cold, but actually rather lovely. I didn't get to go out on it, but here's some pics of our room inside:

:down: JenTiki's friend Sam:

:down: Suzanne & Sweetpea's friend Jennifer:

:down: AquaZombie (Will the Thrill):

:down: Monica the Tiki Goddess:

:down: Forbidden Island regular Phil:

:down: Forbidden Island regular Buster:

:down: Forbidden Island regular ??? (I spent a ton of time talking with him, why can't I remember his name???):

:down: Forbidden Island regular Martin (the other Martin!):

:down: Adam (RikiTikiTavi?):

:down: alohacurrent:

:down: ??? (apologies for not remembering your name!):

:down: Brian:

:down: tikiwinebear:

:down: Tiki Woo:

:down: Bohemiann's friend:

:down: Coconut Cups:

:down: the drunken hat:

:down: A couple whose names escape me (I'm so sorry!):

:down: Mingling at Vic's:

The Tiki Crawl Bus

Our bus driver was FANTASTIC! He plowed right through some rather nasty traffic and got us to each stop on time, and executed some very impressive U-turns that generated some riotous applause from the bus -- it must have been quite a sight when seen from the street. Here are a few bus pics:

:down: Dr. MojoTiki:

:down: Ava (sp?):

:down: WeirdUncleTiki:

:down: stuckie (looking much more suave than high):

:down: Unga Bunga:

:down: Mr. Smiley, Russell S. Monkey, Hubert and Inky Louise:

:down: The bus, full of crawlers:

:down: Thanks to Suzanne of The Diva Pinup and Sweetpea, everyone on the bus got hair flowers, which all the guys were happy to wear, too:

Forbidden Island

This was the stop everyone was most excited for, and we stayed here the longest -- 3 wonderful hours. The East Bay heatwave made it a little roasty at moments, but it also encouraged folks to bounce between the dark indoors and the lovely shaded patio. Mucho mahalos to all of the Forbidden Island staff for doing such an amazing job of getting drinks into thirsty crawlers hands! Most bars tend to tremble at the sight of a busload of people all wanting complicated tropical drinks as quickly as possible, but Forbidden Island met the challenge with apparent ease.

:down: Otto von Stroheim:

:down: Three people I don't know (sorry!):

:down: Hanford & Mai Tai:

:down: Socializing on the patio:

:down: Tiki Vixen enjoys a Saturn, and looks elegant doing so:

:down: Mr. Smiley wore his flower in his hair:

:down: Inky & me:

:down: Mr. Smiley smells his fingers, and reports the results to Tiki Woo:

:down: Mr. Smiley & Inky:

:down: The sweetest of sweetpeas:

:down: Martiki and Unga Bunga:

:down: Stuckie brought an 'Ohana Hut prototype:

:down: Crazy Al:

:down: Bamboo Ben:

:down: Doug, owner of Kona Club & Club Mallard (sorry so blurry!):

:down: Hanford, having a good time along with everyone else:

:down: Jungle Trader & Bamboo Ben:

:down: Martiki loves being the host:

:down: Martiki & Mr. Smiley:

:down: Ms. Coco Nuts & friend:

:down: Blowfish:

:down: Kahaka:

Conga Lounge

Conga Lounge is a bit on the small size for such a large crowd, but it worked out great -- they had punch ready to go for us, WeirdUncleTiki led us all in Tiny Bubbles in Spanish, and of course the limbo contest....

Kona Club

We wrapped up our day at Kona Club, where we had our prize drawing for the crawlers -- I didn't get many pictures, I'm afraid -- I was busy with getting stickers into passports and then helping Hanford run the drawing, plus after 3 days of crawling and very little sleep, I was plum tuckered! But here are the few pictures I was able to get:

Again, I can't say it enough -- thank you to all the crawlers for making this past week so much fun!

S

Here are my photos :) You do NOT have to log in - just click on the photo to look. Some of the 175 photos haven't been turned right side up yet... that's because I have to do them one by one and booo, my fingers are tired. If you really want to see them right side up, you can A) turn your monitor sideways, or B) save them and then turn them right side up in your photo editor. Or, you can go and look at them again tomorrow once I have rotated them all :D

ENJOY!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=62zjr3e.anyll2y6&x=0&y=-n0i71g

Suzanne

J

OMG! Suzanne, that picture of me eating the Slim Jim is so-o-o-o embarrassing! :o I think you were just trying to shoot the "Tiki Bar" sign, and I got in the way. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Hey, maybe I can use that photo in my online dating profile and finally get some dates.:wink:

Hey all...I just added the rest of my photos from the weekend to the slide player on Barefoot Bloggin'. Check 'um at your leisure! (to see all the pics, let the player cycle through a few times as they all load.)
The crawl sure was a ton of fun!!! Thanks to everybody for postin' your pics and for helpin' to make an unforgetable weekend of laughter, fun and drinks.

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

one of my favorite images from this year's crawl.

:up: *stolen from chongo's pictures. if i remember correctly, the disembodied finger covered in bbq sauce belongs to mai tai.

i have pictures too...but was using a throw-away camera. i was able to capture some real gems too! too bad i lack a scanner. thanks smiley for the cheapy cameras for everyone to use!

it was such a treat this year to visit so many high-quality tiki places. hanford and humu get major props for taking the reins on such a huge event. they were fabulous hosts and made sure everyone had a great time (and was on the bus...good system!)

thank you to suzanne, gigantalope and alohacurrent for the groovy door prizes that we were lucky enough to win. they all will find a place of importance within the dark marq. mahalo to sweetpea and suzanne for the great gift bags as well! and thanks for the tasty drinks tikivixen! :)

J

Here's a link to my photos from Saturday's Crawl. You'll have to sign up if you're not already a snapfish user, but it's quick and doesn't cost anything.

• "see the corrected link two posts down"*

Mahalos to:

• Humuhumu, the ever-gracious hostess with the mostest stickers.
  • SweetPea and Suzanne for the lovely gift bags!
  • The wonderful bar owners, bartenders, servers, etc. who put up with us with such grace.
  • The best bus driver a tiki crowd could ask for! I don't think my LeBaron could've made some of those turns!
  • All the fabulous crawlers, most of whom I was meeting for the first time. You're a fun bunch of folks!
  • and last, but definitely MOST, Hanford, the ever-present voice of organization and fun-dom. Now get some sleep young man!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-07-24 17:52 ]

S

JenTiki - may we see the rest of the photos? That link took me to only one photo that I was allowed to save...

Suzanne

J
S

yay, that works!

H

Here are my pictures from Sunday, at the traditional Play-Doh throwdown, this year hosted on the Forbidden Island patio:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/sfcrawl2006/sunday/

Sunday was soooo nice... the pressure was off for Hanford & I, the weather was a smidge cooler than it had been the day before, and it was so fun, silly and relaxing.

:down: Thayer (Haoleakamai) was a godsend -- she took care of getting the Play-Doh for us. Thank you, Thayer!

:down: Aloha wear, by Boo Loo:

:down: Volcano bowl, by Coco Loco:

:down: Chicken dinner, by Inky Louise (which won the blue ribbon, by the Other Martin [we've gotta get him a name]):

:down: Green Eggs & Ham, by the Other Martin:

:down: Time for a volcano bowl break:

:down: The gang on the patio:

:down: Drunken Hat's leetle fez:

:down: I made a smurf:

:down: Undersea garden, by the Other Martin, Buster & Phil:

:down: Crab Rangoon, spring rolls & fries, by Coco Loco:

:down: I made a twinkie:

:down: Korn-Tiki lives! By Inky Louise & Hanford:

:down: Here's the original Korn-Tiki, created by Hanford at Bahooka a while back:

:down: Banana slug, by Thayer:

:down: Impression of the Forbidden Island mug, by Hanford:

:down: Sushi, by Inky Louise (I made the pickled ginger :) ):

:down: Miso soup, by Inky Louise:

:down: Sushi, by Tiki Vixen; Vixen, Inky & I all worked on the tobiko:

:down: Kabobs & tortilla chip, by Hanford Lemoore:

:down: Inky tries Hanford's kabobs:

:down: Thayer's Fugu mug:

TW

That was fun! It was great to see everyone! Next time I'm on the bus and staying the entire four days, you guys won't be getting rid of me. :D Thank you Humuhumu and Hanford for putting this together. I can't wait till next year! Until then, did someone say Hooptylau?

Cheers!

B

Like many of the rest of you I'd like to thank Hanford and Humu for putting together a GREAT event. This was my first crawl but not my last. I'd also like to thanks all the TC-ers for making a newbie like myself feel welcome, now if I could only find some sock monkeys :).

On a related subject, I thought we decided we would call the other martin Mr Wong. It seemed to work while playing with the Play Doh. All in favor .

[ Edited by: Buster 2006-07-25 18:16 ]

H

It was so great to spend time with you during the crawl, Buster! I contemplated calling him Mr. Wong here, but I was wondering if maybe he might like something that let him keep a lower profile from his students. :wink: Tell him to sign up here and get a name!

CA

That Forbidden Island Rocks!!
best memory

aloha nui loa to all crawlers. What a premier event. So many thank youz in order.

• Scott(tofu joe)it was a pleasure talking story with you
  • table mates Mr Smiley/Inky/Monkees you guys are great. Mahalo for the disposable camera and nillas-hope to share some pics soon
  • Cecily/Bruce thanks for the good vibes
  • tikiwinebear great talking with you. Maybe see you at Aloha Festival San Francisco
  • Chongolio mahalo for that seriously cool tiki decal-already on the heap
  • Bill, Chris, Tiki Barber all the way from Florida-glad you made it-best wishes in Sarasota, malama pono
  • Suzanne, Sweetpea Mahalo for the presents wish we could have had a drink together
  • Jungle Trader my tiki bar es su tiki bar-you are always welcome amigo!
  • tikicleen feel free to steal chongolio's pictures anytime :) see you soon
  • Stuckie beware the dried squid
  • Hanford and HumuHumu if this could have been better coordinated I can't imagine how. The time you invested in this really showed. It was a pleasure meeting you both. Glad we could be part of it. Aloha pumehana
  • the bus driver, the guy whose name I forget and the other guy too, Mike @ Conga Lounge and the bartenders at Forbidden Island who probably never worked so hard in their life!

whew, that's a wrap

K

Hi Hanford and Humuhumu,

Thank you for hosting Tiki Crawl 2006. What a wonderful event! This was the first time my husband and I attended. We met so many wonderful people: Tiki Wine Bear and Jay, Sweetpea, Suzanne and Jennifer, Jen Tiki and Samantha, Brad and Melanie, Jungle Trader, Tofu Joe, Chongolio, and Esperanza. The venues were great and the drinks were delicious.

A big thanks to Suzanne, Sweat Pea and Jennifer for the fun party favors. And, our thanks to the wonderful vendors and proprietors for the raffle prizes.

Thank you for your warm welcome. You are both such gracious hosts!

I look forward to seeing you next year,
Cecily (The Hawaiian translation is Kekili)

The following is a link to the few photos that we took of the event.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/slideshow?.dir=/dcedscd&.src=ph

D

On 2006-07-25 21:11, crazy al wrote:
That Forbidden Island Rocks!!
best memory

Looks more like your "BUST" memory... HAHAHAHARDEEEHAR! Sorry, but someone had to say it...snicker...DawnTiki going back to quiet time...

That was the bestest tiki weekend ever!

Mucho Mahalo to everybody and especially Hanford for all his hard work.

CORN TIKI ROCKS!

GOOD TIMES!!!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Fixed broken image link - 2006-08-02 18:28 ]

CL

BB, great pictures. Which beach is that zippy slide at? Looks like FUN!

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-07-28 07:51 ]

J

Hey Gang,
Bohemian was taking tons of pictures. Has anyone seen those yet?
Mahalo,
JenTiki

Sorry I have not been posting guys! I have been traveling since the Tiki Crawl and I have just gotten back in town and am sorting through 12 gigs of images. I am going to post them as soon as I can and offer to print and send them to you "Gratis". There is a lab where I work so this is not a big deal for me. I enjoyed meeting everyone and hope I see some of you at the Hukilau.

S

Sooooooo.... what's up your sleeve for an SF Crawl this year, Hanford? We need news! I've just returned from Ft. Lauderdale and I need more tiki :D

--Suzanne

Pages: 1 35 replies