Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cuba Libre recipe question

Pages: 1 2 replies

In the 2004 book "Rum: The Epic Story of the Drink That Conquered the World" by Charles A. Coulombe (see discussion here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12665&forum=10&1), I was stunned to see that the Cuba Libre recipe called for GIN as well as rum! In fact, more gin than rum. I've never seen this before, and in a search of all my bartending books, plus the Bacardi and Havana Club websites, I didn't find any Cuba Libre recipes calling for gin.

Have any of you TC ohana had a Cuba Libre w/ gin? Now that I'm home for the weekend and it's h-o-t here, I'll give it a try, and will report back!

Here's the recipe from the book:
3 oz. Coca-Cola
2 oz. gin
1 oz. rum
2 dashes bitters
Lime wedge

Rub the rim of a highball glass with the lime. Fill with ice. Add rum and fill with Coca-Cola. Drop in the lime squeeze.

(That's the verbatim instructions, which you'll notice DOES NOT include the gin and bitters. But the text of the chapter preceding this recipe DOES talk about the inclusion of gin and bitters, so I don't think the gin & bitters in the ingredients list are typos.)

RB

OK, finally got around to the taste test. (I used Cruzan light rum and Burnett's London dry gin.) Survey says, "Stick with the rum!" Admittedly, I'm not a big gin fan. The gin + rum Cuba Libre tasted too gin-ish to me...clashed with the lime. Whereas the "normal" Cuba Libre with just rum allowed all the flavors to mingle more pleasantly.

The original cuba libra used plain soda not cola. The cola is an improvement, gin in there sounds nasty, as anyone who's tried gin in coke will tell you, now maybe gin in the soda water wouldn't be as bad, dunno..

Pages: 1 2 replies