Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Links 2006-Event Recap and Thank You on Page 1!!

Pages: 1 18 replies

For those wishing a “just the facts” breakdown of the event and who won what, please scroll to the middle of this post.

On Saturday, September 16th, 30 fearless adventurers gathered upon the beaches of an Island known to some as Hyland Hills Adventure Golf, jointly dedicated in cause and competition to discover the survivors of an ill fated flight and the priceless treasure of the tikis , rumored to be aboard. After taking on provisions, acquiring guides and honing their putting talents, the stalwart explorers (grouped in teams of two) checked their compasses and stepped into the unknown.

Soon after beginning their trek, the adventurers came upon a deserted village, near the ruins of a once great civilization.

After a short survey of their surroundings and a quick spot of tea, the adventurers posed for photographs before stepping back into the brush and resuming their quest.

Soon, after spying the last of the ancient ruins, the jungle growth thickened immensely, slowing the parties progress to a near crawl.

After what seemed to be days of persistent putting, the adventurers finally broke through to a river, where they discovered the final resting place of the ill-fated aircraft.

Finding neither survivor or treasure, the adventurers pushed on and after putting through seemingly endless expanses of jungle brush, avoiding the local wildlife and enduring a freezing wind, which felt as if the elements themselves were attempting to block their path, the party finally stood before a strange enchanted idol.

Spitting at and taunting the daring explorers, the idol offered promises of great treasure, should they complete a final challenge. Their quest nearly ended, each team eagerly stepped forward and confronted the idol, putters at the ready, and after completing the required task, disappeared from sight until none were left.

After a moment of darkness, each team awoke to find themselves seated within a great and exotic hut, attended by smiling island villagers and illuminated by a shining red lantern. Soft tropical tones tickled their ears, while the aromas of delicious pu-pus and tempting tropical drinks delighted their senses. Weary from their long journey, the adventurers soon found their spirits renewed as they consumed the fine repast and drenched their thirsts with a delicious beverage said to be created from the mighty volcano itself.

As good spirits infected the group, conversation rumbled and laughter roared throughout the room, until one of the villagers approached the crowd and told the mighty band that their arduous deeds had been witnessed and that some had earned the right to posses a piece of their tiki treasure, reclaimed from the downed aircraft.

Both by announcement and by contest, teams and single members of the group were called forth and recognized for achieving various accomplishments throughout the journey and were given dazzling objects, created by only the greatest of the oceanic artists.

Village Elders-Voodoo Vixens (Taboo Table from Beachbum Berry)

Best Tiki Attire competitors:

MatterHorn

Monty

Helz-Tiki Winner!!(Vintage Papua New Guinea Ancestor Figure from Tiki Toys)
![](http://www.shutterfly.com/jsp/proceserv.jsp?uid=0BaMmrlszYsT&rostate=67b0de21a601afc51518&co=-1&js=1158911718125&rx=304&ry=304[/img}

[img]http://www.shutterfly.com/jsp/proceserv.jsp?uid=0BaMmrlszYsT&rostate=67b0de21a601af1a94f7&co=-1&js=1159250091687&ps=1&rs=6)

Most Holes In One-Brian of Papakole Kanaka (Bronco Coco Mug from Rum Demon)

3rd Place-Wave Riders (Tiki Pendants from Tacky Tiki)
Apologies to the Wave Riders: David and Jody, but your picture was badly blurred.

2nd Place-Blue Hawaiians: Monty and Kris(Blue Hawaiian art print from Tiki Cargo)

1st Place-Papakole Kananka (Trobriand Island Ceremonial Paddle from Oceanic Arts)

After many were recognized and numerous treasurers awarded, the adventurers lingered in the magical hut for a while longer, but soon yearned for the comforts of their homes. So, with sweet sorrow, the group of adventurers, once strangers, but now bonded into Ohana, made their goodbyes and posed for final photos before leaving the hut and eventually journeyed back to their homes, promising themselves that they would return once more.

Tiki Links 2007, coming next August!

Denver Ohana sign was created by: Tiki-el

Tiki Links Sponsored by the Denver Ohana
Event Creator-Eleio the Fleet

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-09-26 00:24 ]

H
Helz posted on Sat, Jul 22, 2006 5:43 AM

Heck, the Red Lantern is walking distance from our new place, count us in!

-Original response to HelzTiki is listed below the following-
Well the competition is only days away, so if you're looking for the event announcement, just scroll down a bit and you'll find what your looking for.

Aloha Ohana!

The time is arriving, dear adventures. As we speak, island natives are sharpening their spears while dark clouds of smoke are billowing from a fearsomely anxious volcano and dreadful creatures are moving amongst the jungle shadows, in search of their next meal. Deep inside the jungle growth sits the smoldering and twisted wreck of a plane, the fate of the passengers and the exotic treasure in their possession, is unknown. Soon you will be camped at the beach and while preparing for your impending journey into darkness, you’ll begin to feel the dark rhythm of drums and hear the terrible cries of creatures both exotic and unspeakable. Steel yourself adventures, for only your putting prowess and your wits will protect you upon this perilous journey.

Heed the warning sounds of the drums, dear friends, for the Tiki Links are nearly here!

(ahem-I hate to break character, but I have much to say)

Everything is looking good for Saturday! Mother Nature appears to be cooperating and it looks like we’ll have temps in the mid 60's, with a smattering of clouds. All the prizes are now in hand and final preparations are underway!

Here’s a peek at the tiki treasures that could be yours:

Prize Descriptions

Hand Carved Trobriand Island Ceremonial Paddle-World travelers, Oceanic Artists and all-around tiki legends, Bob and LeRoy's amazing talents have graced the greatest and most prolific of tiki establishments. To support our budding Ohana, they have provided an exquisite hand carved ceremonial paddle that is certain to be the jewel of someone's private exotic temple.

The Tiki Links 06’, Bronco Inspired “Coco” Tiki Mug-As you know, it’s all about the mug. The more creative, unique and difficult it is to obtain, the better. Therefore, Rum Demon (creators of some of the most artistic and unique tiki mugs available today) have provided you the opportunity to sip your tropical tiki libations from a coconut like no other. Our demented friend Coco has been created specifically for our gathering and sports Bronco Colored eyes in tribute to our mile high warriors. This unnumbered piece of Rum Demon mastery is signed, dated and ready for sipping.

Signed copy of Taboo Table-There are several names written within the tomes of tikidom and Beachbum Berry is one that is prominent among most. “The Bum”, as he is known, has exhausted years of research and explored the very darkest corners of lost (but not forgotten) tiki temples, to bring you this rare collection of tiki food and drink recipes, of which there is no equal. From Curry Dip, to Chicken of the Gods, to Bongo Bongo Soup, The Bum has spared little in his pursuit of exotic epicurean excellence and now offers you this opportunity to enjoy his Taboo Table.

Blue Hawaiian Framed Art Print-Worried that your Denver digs aren't quite up to snuff cause you don't have any quality tiki art on the walls? Well be troubled no longer. Tiki Cargo is offering one lucky Denver Ohana team the chance to swank their pad with one of a four part series of prints lionizing one of the aloha lifestyles most potent potions.

Copies of Tiki News-The original mag, that's sporting some Shag! Delve into the pages of Tiki News and discover the secrets, the mysteries, the mugs and the tikis' as only the eminent scribe, Otto Von Stroheim, can.

Vintage Papua New Guinea Ancestor Figure-Created and collected during tikis' heyday, this authentic, hand carved treasure is a sure prize for any tiki-philes personal collection. Tiki Toys has generously provided one land-locked member of the Ohana to posses this marvelous piece of Oceanic excellence.

Tiki Pendants-The belief is that the more tikis around you, the better fortune you'll have. The Tacky Tiki presents two hand crafted tiki pendants (the third was given as a promotional prize at Tiki Party II) to help two lucky Denver Ohana in keeping tiki truly close to their hearts, while soaking up some good vibrations.

Descriptions of additional items to follow.

--EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT--

The Denver Ohana presents…

Tiki Links 2006
Mini-Golf Tournament and Celebration

Saturday, September 16th
Hyland Hills Adventure Golf 4pm-7pm
Red Lantern Chinese 7:30pm-10pm

On Saturday, September 16th the Denver Ohana wish to welcome all of our aloha spirited family to a day and evening of tiki inspired mayhem as we host our first annual Tiki Links mini-golf tournament and celebration! Wits will be tested and skills tried as competitors vie for unique and exotic tiki treasures, created by some of the most prolific names in all of tikidom! Those brave enough to face snapping crocs, ancient ruins and a fire belching volcano, will gather in teams of two and prove their putting prowess by attempting to master the most exotic 18 holes of mini-golf to be found throughout our island! After our spirited contest is over, we’ll retire to a nearby hut for good food, fellowship and the Tiki Links prizes!

-Event Schedule and locations-
4pm-7pm Hyland Hills Adventure Golf- 9650 N. Sheridan Blvd Westminster, CO 7:30pm-10pm Red Lantern Chinese- 8770 Wadsworth Blvd # 3 Arvada, CO
8:30-9pm Tiki Links Prize Ceremony

-How to get there-
Hyland Hills Adventure Golf (303)-650-7587-From the I-25/US 36 Intersection, take Hwy 36 West approx 1.4 miles to the Pecos St. exit. Take the CO-95 exit to Sheridan. Follow Sheridan North .8 miles to Hyland Hills Adventure Golf (East side of the street). Red Lantern Chinese (Site confirmed) (303) 422-8353 Leaving Hyland Hills (U-Turn may be required), take Sheridan South 1.2 miles to 88th Ave. Turn right (west) and follow 88th for 1.4 miles to Wadsworth Blvd. ½ block before Wadsworth, turn left.

-Tournament Fee-
Adults $5.00 Children (under 13) $4.95 To make this tournament financially accessible for everyone, NO fees will be charged in addition to the cost of playing the putt-putt course! All the prizes have been donated by some VERY generous and supportive people and businesses, so there are no costs to recoup.

Only 20 teams will compete, so get your registration in ASAP!

Have questions?

Want more details?

Check out Denver Tiki-Happenings and Info (pages 10 & 11) or post it on this thread.

Also, I have a "down and dirty" one sheet in case you'd like to help spread the word. PM me w/email address and I'll send you one.

Mahalo!

See you there!

Eleio the fleet

Thanks HelzTiki.

You're on the roster. Just let me know what you want to call your team and the name of your teamate. Also, PM me your email address. I'd like to have everyone's in case I need to batch mail something.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you at the tourney!

-Eleio

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-09-20 00:15 ]

A big MAHALO for organizing this event!

I just moved from San Francisco to the Denver area (specifically, the decidedly non-Tiki Longmont!) and I was very sad to have missed this year's Tiki Bar Crawl, and all the local Tiki crowd there. :(

But now I've found that I'm not so alone here in Colorado, and I'm really excited about meeting a new group of Tikiphiles! :D

So count me in! I'm sure I'll be able to find someone to join me, so you can add a partner as well, TBA.

Also, if there are any folks out there who'd like to come all the way to Longmont (thar be dragons!) I'd love to host a small get-together of Tiki-conscious folks for some drinks and maybe an appropriately wacky movie (I've got a projector setup that works well for movie nights). Plus, I'd love to break in my Tiki bar I just put together on the tiny deck of my apartment! Please let me know if anyone out there is interested!

Aloha...

:tiki: Tonga-in-Chiki

P.S. Oh, Yeah... I forgot about the name... Let's make it Team Tonga.

[ Edited by: Tonga-in-Chiki 2006-07-22 17:35 ]

[ Edited by: Tonga-in-Chiki 2006-07-22 17:36 ]

Aloha Tonga!

Team Tonga it is. Welcome to the Rockies and I think you'll find the group (at least those I've met so far) very easy to get along with.

Nice to know that in the vast tikiless dessert that is pretty much all of Colorado, you've found an oasis of sorts.

My wife and I are interested in the get together at your home, just let us know when and where.

Thanks for signing up. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

-Eleio

Wow folks,

Registration has only been open for a day and we've hit the halfway mark.

Please make sure to get your spot.

-Eleio

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-23 03:12 ]

Aloha everyone!

Just wanted you to be aware that since we have over 20 people signed up for the tourney, that the Adult price will be dropped to $5.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

Since I've linked images to this thread through a medium other than Shutterfly, I've had mixed results with the pics being visible to everyone who views this site. Therefore, I'm including Shutterfly versions of the three event sheets. Those viewing this thread should be able to copy, paste and enlarge these images so that everything is fairly legible.

-Redundant images removed-

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-09-09 00:39 ]

Two new teams added folks!

-Eleio

Only 5 openings left!

bump

bump

Only 3 openings left!

Only 2 spots left!

Down to the last opening.

Don't wait to sign up!

bump

bump-check out the picture and descriptions of the prizes

A very special Mahalo to Tiki-el for creating the Denver Ohana sign! This, oh-so-sweet piece of artistic excellence will be unvieled at the Tiki Links event tomorrow.

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-09-16 01:31 ]

Bump

Pages: 1 18 replies