Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

kelbos totem

Pages: 1 5 replies

does anybody have a GOOD picture of the kelbos totem?. the one in "the book" may have wet my appetite , but it is too dark for detail. i would love to repo one, thats why i ask........sven, a little help?

On 2002-12-18 18:30, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
does anybody have a GOOD picture of the kelbos totem?. the one in "the book" may have wet my appetite , but it is too dark for detail. i would love to repo one, thats why i ask........sven, a little help?

Sorry, I am lucky I got that one. All my Kelbo's stuff was on a roll that got stuck in the lab's developing soup and came out way underexposed. The exterior mural was on that too, can't use it...
But someone I know that was close to the Kelbo's owner I think HAS that Tiki, it's either Joey Seehee, or Senor Amor...or do they have the OTHER one?....hmmm...

I am drawing a Tiki blank, I am afraid. and I can't pursue this any longer, sorry.

well sven,when you have time, i would love to get some info from these folks about how to get a picture of this tiki or anything related to kelbos. i had my 21st birthday party there and was a customer for many years,unfortunatly when it closed , i was unaware and missed a chance to document the place and buy some artifacts.this is not a "collector thing", this is a love for a place and a group of people that were an important part of my leap into adulthood!. any help would be appriciated.every time i drive by "fantasy island" my skin just crawls!.

Hey Two Wheeler,
My Grandfather Eli Hedley "decorated" both Kelbos. My mom was just telling me a story of them "taste testing" the ribs that Eli would bring back to their "Cove"( the house they lived in that was built out of driftwood that was down at Whites Point/Royal Palms in Palos Verdes, which is now a county park. There are plaques there wthat read about Eli and the rock fireplaces are still in tact that were built into the hillside,and the dance floors too, where all the stars would hang out in the 40/50's to get away and where he started his Beachcombing biz, the story goes on and on. (find and read "how Daddy became a Beachcomber or hit up Poly Pop, he has a zerox copy ) ) before the opening of the first Kelbos. I'm going to see my Aunts in Feb. and I'm going to ask many questions (on tape) for a possible book on "the un-known tiki god". I'm sure it'll fill in all the blanks. They also are giving me more photos every day. As of now, I have apprx. 300 pics thatI'm hiding. I have about 10 8x10s that I re-print and sell out of the store. Like the one in the "book" of Eli and the Aku Aku out of featherstone (that was actually 1 out of 20+ that were carved at a lot behind Disneyland in part of a deal Eli & Walt had for Eli doing part of the "Decorating" for the original adventureland. My mom has stories of the opening day where they had to soak their feet in ice water cause it was hot compared to the beach! He had a shop there for 7 years. Anyway, I'm sure I'll come up with all sorts of info on Kelbos this Feb., and everything else he was involved with. He was partners with Don Beach for a while too! Please excuse my babble.

babble on brother!, i can never get "too much info"!.so do you have any good photos of the kelbos tiki????.i will either carve one myself or comission one when i get photos.thanks for the info.

BEN,have you found even 1 photo of the kelbos tiki yet?????. i am getting really desperate to start carving a totem and need a photo.

Pages: 1 5 replies