Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Central Tiki Crawl VI Souvenir Passport

Pages: 1 5 replies

H

I created this Souvenir Passport for this year's Tiki Central Tiki Crawl. This pocket-size guide to the weekend has a short blurb on each of the 12 stops on the tour, along with spots to keep track of your own Critiki ratings (for easy entering into Critiki at the end of your trip). The cover was designed by Hanford, and I did the overall design and interior pages & got them printed, collated, stapled, and punched the rounded corners. After putting 100 of these buggers together, my hands were feeling pretty bruised! The vintage artwork inside the passport all comes from the Book of Tiki (mea culpa, Sven -- I'll save a passport for you!), and all of them are from old Bay Area restaurants - Trader Vic's, Tiki Bob's and Zombie Village (the serving girl is the exception -- I don't know what that one came from, but it was too neat to not use!). I tried to make it look like something that would have been produced in the '50s or '60s.

At each stop of the crawl, I stamped everyone's passport with blue stickers. Each sticker had the name of the location and a serial number on it that matched with a slip of paper entered into the drawing for prizes on Saturday night. The passport pictured here is my passport; since Hanford & I weren't eligible for the drawing, I made up special stickers for us that said "2006" instead of having a drawing number.

This was a sort of pilot attempt at a larger project I've been working on -- I learned what to do, what not to do, and best of all, that it's doable.

I still have about 8 or so of these left -- I'm a big believer in souvenirs, so I'm going to give these last few passports (minus the stickers -- gotta keep the actual Crawl ones special!) to Tiki Centralites who visit the Bay Area in the coming months. Yet another reason to come play with us here in the Bay Area!

S

These are really a work of art. I am so impressed! I tucked mine away in a safe location so I can keep it for ever and ever. I hope you will be able to do one again next year - so cool! I'll also use it to make sure I make it to the South Bay locales I missed this time.

Suzanne

Beautiful! I love the font and other design choices and the phrasing of the bar descriptions! If only I was back on the west coast.

you really did a nice job on those... EVERY event should have some thing so swank and practical.

All your hard work on those really was worth it! What a treasure! The bridge and Tiki Bob, together at last!

It would completely confound my boss to say, "I have to leave work tonight to go meet some people at the Forbidden Island to possibly get a passport." Smacks of "Casablanca" and getting your 'papers' to leave the country.

We'll always have Alameda.

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki 2006-07-30 22:02 ]

C

WOW - these are too cool, Humuhumu! How Fun!!
I had such a good time with the TC crowd back in May when visiting San Fran that I may just have to make a return visit - hmmmmm......
Great job!

Pages: 1 5 replies