Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

So who else got the unsolicited "Polynesian Paintings by Louis Behan" email?

Pages: 1 42 replies

So I was just checking my email, and found this rather large message (5MB) from a David Behan, who is attempting to sell paintings by his father. Now I'll admit that some of the paintings would look great hanging in a home tiki bar (naked wahine with Tikis), but I do find it a little inappropriate to recieve this unsolicited, especially if you were to recieve it at a work email address, considering it is DEFINITELY NSFW. A post here I think would have garnered some real interest, but I have the feeling that there are going to be a number of us whom will be a tad put out by it. Especially those of us still on dial-up.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if this would be better to post here, or in the "tiki marketplace" forum given the content.

Chris

Yeah I just got one too , right after reading this.

I got it too. I felt honored that he would consider me in the group. I get high volumes of unsolicted e-mails, it's part of my biz so I'm used to it. But in an office environment I can see how some of the paintings could be considered inappropriate.

In this case I think he was just trying to find some people who understood the sentiment behind the paintings, rather than to auction them off to some random people. I appreciated the fact he wanted people who collected polynesian arts to have the first choice. But harvesting people's e-mails to spam or sell crap usually gets to me. For some reason, I didn't mind this one.

I didn't get one, maybe my spam filter ate it.

Either that or he does not have my address.

On 2006-07-25 20:16, stuff-o-rama wrote:
In this case I think he was just trying to find some people who understood the sentiment behind the paintings, rather than to auction them off to some random people. I appreciated the fact he wanted people who collected polynesian arts to have the first choice. But harvesting people's e-mails to spam or sell crap usually gets to me. For some reason, I didn't mind this one.

I pretty much felt the same way, to be honest. It didn't bother me to get the email (I get SO much spam, that to have one that I actually enjoyed is refreshing) but I still think he should have made a post about it here instead.

Chris

[ Edited by: Kona Chris 2006-07-25 20:48 ]

B

I got it too and wasn't happy he took me from TC and did it that way. A Post in TC would have been much better. It's just that if he got our e-dresses for this, what else is he doing with them??

But you got pictures of naked wahines in your e-mail, right?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 5:44 AM

I replied saying they were cool paintings - but what he was doing was SPAM and I beleive it to be illegal. Yes its tiki - but its mass mailed SPAM nonetheless. Post it in marketplace. If I want to buy it, I will look at the post.

Trying to get it to people who "appreciate" it, or a calculated effort to get the highest profit by strategically targetting potential purchasers?

I cut some slack because it could have been an honest mistake, although I dont beleive it was... I was on the verge of giving them a tyrade of abuse (did a 15 hr day yesterday, 12 hr day today - not in the mood for s*** like this)

A one off is okay, but imagine if every tiki related firm did the same and filled your inbox with Target tiki based spam specials?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 8:37 AM

Are the paintings done well, or are they crap?

Photos?

M

*GROG wrote:
Are the paintings done well, or are they crap?

Photos?

A few months ago, can't quite target when, several of Behan's paintings were listed on eBay. I also cannot remember whether one of his children was behind the auctions, it may have been in conjunction with a gallery. There were 3-4 if I recall, and the one I wanted went for some good money. I did some research on the artist and found out what little I could. There is a thread on it right here at TC. Some of his work is in USAF base museums, portraits of admirals and such. I know, admirals are in the Marines.

I received the email, and was only upset at the size of the files. That as WAY too much data to be sending. Otherwise, I was cool with it. Hey, you put your email addy out in public, you asking for it, brah (the chicks dig it when I talk pidgin). There are some nice pieces for sale, I really enjoy Behan's work. The problem: the price. Some of the works could fetch the offer, but most will not. It's talented stuff, I like it, wouldn't mind owning a couple. Now, with the weight of my personal recommendation, the works will fly of the wall. A wee taste:

He should list the paintings on eBay, the velvets with wahines and tikis would get top dollar. The paintings of injuns and lions, not so much. Oh, I know, it's not "injuns", sorry for my poor form. It's the Navy that has admirals.

In the Navy!
cpt.midnite

Hey BK, Is that Foxy brown?

D

hey guys, thanks for hosing us who wanted to just buy the damned paintings outright.

M

*On 2006-07-27 16:17, dogbytes wrote:
hey guys, thanks for hosing us who wanted to just buy the damned paintings outright.

Well, hot damn. You're welcome.

Although, I believe you're confusing us with Canadians.

Paintings be damned, be damned!

Hoover, Three Gorges, random beavers,
midnite

I didn't get that email but I did get one from Scott Scheidly with the title "New Tiki Art and Prints". Actually I thought it was kind of interesting and had no problem with it.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 8:31 PM

On 2006-07-27 10:25, midnite_tiki wrote:
Hey, you put your email addy out in public, you asking for it, brah

Folks mass emailing SPAM be asking for a mouthful. We got a whole section of TC dedicated to selling stuff - use it like everyone else!

M

On 2006-07-27 20:31, hewey wrote:
Folks mass emailing SPAM be asking for a mouthful.

Is that a threat of physical violence? If so, bring it, you're dealing with the Koalaman. I'll put more than a shrimp on your proverbial barbie, mate.

• We got a whole section of TC dedicated to selling stuff - use it like everyone else!*

A whole section? That is about right.

Reading is fun,
midnite

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 12:16 AM

Thanks for the sample pic, midnite.

GROG

S

The general, and maybe specific if you talk to a few hosting companies, rule on spam is that you get one shot at unsolicited email and you should put instructions on there to opt out. If you don't opt out, you are not being spammed. If they don't offer a way to not get any more emails, and they email again, they are a spammer.

This does not hold for email sent by bots and virus spammers, etc. But that stuff will usually get caught by diligent anti-spam filters and you should know the difference.

These are examples of unsolicited emails, but that does not equal spam, yet.

M
  • GROG wrote:
    Thanks for the sample pic, midnite.

You're welcome Grog. Because I like you, here's a couple more. These two are my favorites from the selection appearing in the email solicitation. The second one is a bit out of focus, but one sees the expertise in the medium this artist had, really good stuff.

Some of the other subject matter, American Indians and animals, are done just as well, but are not as interesting to me. The two above are very similar to the one that sold on eBay a while ago. I think it went for more than a grand. The wahine pieces with tikis will be popular, but I balked at the seller's pricing structure.

Great work, the talent is obvious. Plus, there's bewbies.

Some folks are making a whole list,
midnite

I apologize I am guilty of this infraction as well. I honestly never thought of it as "Spamming".

I have been a member of TC since 2003 have met many of of the TC Ohana and have sold hundreds of pieces to them. I don't have the time to post much anymore and thought I would reach some of the newer members.

As Swanky said I did put an unsubscribe opt on the email. A lot of the members of TC are already on my mailing list anyhow. I had three people unsubscribe and at the same time I made many new contacts.

No one had a real problem with this email but one person. His nice email goes against all that the TC family and the Aloha Spirit is about in my opinion.

Thanks Tikigap for this nice message:
"I don't appreciate your bullshit spam - stealing addresses from the tiki centrral website - you are lower than flounder shit."

As my email said "reply with unsubscribe" would have been sufficient.

Sorry if I bothered anyone.
Sincerely
Scott (Flounder) Scheidly

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 6:34 PM

Midnight - I put my email address on TC so my mates like Rodeo can email pics of his mates mini truck he just painted, that he doesnt want to share with everyone on TC, or other similar personal emails.

I dont know why you're attacking me personally, I never abused or threatened you. I just disagreed with what you said.

I can handle getting a similar email from Flounder because:
1 - Unsubscribe option
2 - I already am familiar with him and his work. I know hes not just profit focused - hes a tiki nut just like us, with an established TC record etc.
2 - I have commented favourably a number of times on Flounders art. I can understand him thinking "hewey likes my art, but has commented on how he wishes he could afford one. I will email him to let him know I have some more budget prints"

This other guy did none of this. Thats the difference. And even then, I didnt send him an abusive email calling him lower than shit.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 9:45 PM

Those ARE nice paintings. Thanks again midnite.

Cheers------GROG

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 9:54 PM

GROG would like to apologize for the unsolicited
pic of GROG raising a mug to fellow TC members.:)

GROG's favorite toast: Heres' to you, and here's to
me, and if ever we disagree, then f**k you and here's
to me!

Now off to Taix to see King Kukulele andCrazy Al.
First round on GROG.

On 2006-07-28 21:54, GROG wrote:
GROG would like to apologize for the unsolicited
pic of GROG raising a mug to fellow TC members.:)

GROG's favorite toast: Heres' to you, and here's to
me, and if ever we disagree, then f**k you and here's
to me!

Now off to Taix to see King Kukulele andCrazy Al.
First round on GROG.

Did GROG catch a BUZZ at POKER NIGHT??

Or, Did GROG LOSE @ Poker Night?

Love Y'arrrr!! Burn't toast!!!!

M

*Those ARE nice paintings. Thanks again midnite.

Cheers------GROG

Cheers to you, Grog. I have been dismayed at the wanton personal insults hurled at me on this thread and through other means. It has been quite disappointing to say the least. I must admit my first reaction was to take this up with a higher authority. Perhaps, even, to show these negative nabobs exactly with whom they are dealing, i.e The Koalaman. Then, in a moment of mature reflection, I revisited the works by this fine artist and found inspiration to ignore their not so veiled threats and derogatory comments.

This fine representation of a Native Indian made me realize I will be the better man, I will not respond to their harmful comments and personal affronts. I will, like this peaceful Indian, turn the other cheek and offer the pipe of peace. Then I thought, "No!" You can take my dignity, but you're not going to bogart my best stuff, then insult my heritage and good manners. I will fight, and try to get back Manhattan, those fakockta beads they gave my people ain't worth crap.

Yet, once again, like the music that soothes the savage bewbie, this glorious art again showed me the way. As in, think of that higher power, consider what his wisdom would bring to this situation. How would "He" respond? Yes, I asked myself what would "He" do, and all I could answer was: forgive their transgressions, for they know not what they do. His guiding light shall be my steward through these tough times, he will be a beacon of righteousness and fine cocktails:

Oh Shit! That's supposed to be a picture of The Jab, not Jesus. Hardly recognized him without his signature glasses. The Jab, not the Saviour. You know, I was wondering why Dean was glowing and all. Plus, The Jab has much better clothes.

Let this be a lesson,
midnite

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jul 29, 2006 1:41 AM

That Jesus looks ike he should be wearing a muscle shirt and driving a pick-up truck!

Nice reflection time midnite.

Somehow I feel better about life.

Praise Jab.

D

well, its a done deal ~ 9 of these velvets are in the hands of 3 seattle collectors of hawaiiana, oh and me. i got this one

Oooo.

Great to hear they ended up in the right hands, I was wondering (and worrying) what happened to them. Congrats to one of the Tiki ones. Did Mimi and Rob get one? And who got the big "Virgin Sacrifice", I was really coveting that one! It would be THE back bar painting to gaze at in a state of Rum induced reverie...

...I want more unsolicited e-mails like that!

I

Thought you might be interested in seeing the LP that influenced one of these paintings - and let you appreciate the differences in lei placement.

Vern

vern ~ thanks for that reference picture!
BigBro ~ i think that oil painting is still available. Behan's son

But which ones on that link are still for sale, and which not? Yours obviously not...

I don't even wanna know really, If I remember correctly he wanted over 3 grand for the "sacrifice", and I was not prepared for THAT sacrifice then, and even less so now ....I'm just dead broke right now. All that time I have been spending doing pretty picture posts here was possible because of me not working making moolah.

I will starting doing e-bay selling today.

My thoughts exactly!

I love the work but I sure don't have 3k to drop on art these days no matter how much I love it! :(

That's why it nice to know you can still get a pretty darn nice Black Velvet Original for only $400 CLAMS!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23880&forum=12&2

I bought one last year from GECKO - it's HUGE, beautiful details and REALLY AFFORDABLE!

You heard it here!

On 2007-04-05 13:07, ikitnrev wrote:
Thought you might be interested in seeing the LP that influenced one of these paintings - and let you appreciate the differences in lei placement.

Vern

I have that album... wish I had the painting....

TG

http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

On 2007-04-27 11:49, dogbytes wrote:
vern ~ thanks for that reference picture!
BigBro ~ i think that oil painting is still available. Behan's son

FYI I went to the link that dogbytes posted, got to see a lot of other beautiful work but I also tried to send an email to the only contact listed on the page and got the MAILER-DAEMON....failure notice!

So we may never know what is and is not available! :(

M

I was this "____" close to scoring one fine Behan work. If by close you mean my usual measuring standard of close =

Hello all. I am David Behan, son of Louis Behan. You can see the paintings that I still have on my website http://www.davegrave.com/art.htm - The email wasn't working but it is now fixed. If you hover over the painting it will show you the size and cost and if it is still available. Most full size paintings are affordable at about $500. Some of the rare ones like the Virgin Sacrifice on Canvas is being sold for $1000 and is currently being held on deposit. There are still a few full size Polynesians paintings left and a bunch of smaller ones. There are also many non-Polynesian available as well. I'll be glad to answer any of your questions. I'm also looking to get addition ones from other family members. If I do, I will post them on my website. Regards, David...

[ Edited by: davegrave1963 2007-05-28 17:54 ]

I like the painting a lot, but why does the girl have the word "SAMPLE" printed on her stomach? I would consider getting one if'n it didn't have that on there.

On 2007-05-29 17:15, procinema29 wrote:
I like the painting a lot, but why does the girl have the word "SAMPLE" printed on her stomach? I would consider getting one if'n it didn't have that on there.

It's called a watermark and is there to prevent unauthorized duplication. The originals and prints do not contain the watermark.

T

This midnite guy with 32 inch waist and his wise ass cracks ... He's just bad news Mate !!!!

On 2006-07-27 21:11, midnite_tiki wrote:
On 2006-07-27 20:31, hewey wrote:
Folks mass emailing SPAM be asking for a mouthful.

Is that a threat of physical violence? If so, bring it, you're dealing with the Koalaman. I'll put more than a shrimp on your proverbial barbie, mate.

• We got a whole section of TC dedicated to selling stuff - use it like everyone else!*

A whole section? That is about right.

Reading is fun,
midnite

On 2007-05-29 17:15, procinema29 wrote:

This was a little joke of mine, of course. Gotcha!

Pages: 1 42 replies