Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

instructional albums from the 50's and 60's

Pages: 1 6 replies

L
lelo posted on Wed, Jul 26, 2006 6:00 PM

Does anyone know the name of any of the cocktail instructional albums put out. They used to play excerpts from one on the very missed XM station cocktail lounge. And the Beastie Boys used a sample on their Check Your Head cd?

Wow, never heard of that. It sounds fun! I do know of one called "How To Speak Hip" which sounds like its in the same vein.

L
lelo posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 8:51 PM

Oh Yeah, I remember hearing some of that on the incredibly strange music vol. 2. Thanks for reminding me. Do you know were there may be a recording online?

V
L
lelo posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 2:27 PM

Thank you Vegas Vic! By the way I listen to your show all the time. I'm a huge fan.
Kiss Kiss,
Taryn

On 2006-07-26 18:00, lelo wrote:
Does anyone know the name of any of the cocktail instructional albums put out. They used to play excerpts from one on the very missed XM station cocktail lounge. And the Beastie Boys used a sample on their Check Your Head cd?

I have an album called "On Wine: How to Select and Serve," Columbia Special Products CSP 151, probably late 60s/early 70s judging from the photo and layout. Side 1 is instructional, with a couple who sound like they've just arrived on earth asking a "wine expert" everything short of how to tie their shoes. Side 2 is run of the mill light classics. Curiously, the cover mentions "Vol. 1" in tiny print; no idea if subsequent volumes actually followed or not.

That Beasties sample may have come from this LP, but I can't confirm it unless I do a side by side comparison.

L
lelo posted on Mon, Jul 31, 2006 8:16 PM

Wow! that sounds great! I have the feeling very hard to find. I'll start my search on line right now.
Thank you

Pages: 1 6 replies