Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Doug Horne (aka Swamp Fire Lounge) & Metalwork Arts

Pages: 1 6 replies

Last March, I happened to be in Tempe, AZ, when their annual Art Festival was taking place. I knew that Doug Horne (Swamp Fire Lounge) would be vending there, so I watched for him and made a special point of introducing myself. Since I already have 6 of his prints, I didn't buy anything from him at that time (sorry Doug).

Along the Festival route, I chanced on a vendor showing her metal art wall hangings. Several of her pieces caught my eye immediately, but I focused in on one in particular. The piece captured a lone "tiki hut" perched on top a hill with a single palm tree curved over the top of the hut. The artist, Mary Beier ( http://www.metalworksart.com ), etches her design into a flat sheet of metal, then uses metal paints to complete the piece. When light hits the surface from different angles, the etching sparkles in the cuts. And she uses very vivid colors in her work. I mentioned to Mary, who was tending the booth, that I thought her work would compliment Doug Horne's, and she smiled and told me that she also had several pieces of Doug's work on her walls at home.

When I received Mary's metal piece at home, and placed it next to Doug's, I just knew I had to have another of Mary's pieces to frame off the wall (and Doug's work) perfectly. So, I contacted Mary and had her create another wall hanging to compliment the one I had purchased. This time, I asked her to include only a palm tree and no "hut". Mary asked me to send her pictures of her work alongside Doug's, so I decided I should post them on TC as well. Here they are:

These are hanging in my tiki guest room. Mary mounts 1.5" posts to the back of her work acting like "feet" to lift the metal surface from the wall. This gives her work a 3-D effect, though you can't really see this in my pictures.

Check out her website if you like what you see ( http://www.metalworksart.com)! I really like her work along with Doug's ( http://www.swampfirelounge.com ).

Mahalo!

• Myke

Are those Boskos on the sides? Your whole wall looks killer!

WOW, that looks awesome Winebear. Now, although you may not like them, you could use some Tits on the wall, Tits on the wall, Tits on the wall.

Well jeez, I been out in the sun all day and it's hot.

Yep... those are REAL BOSKOs on the wall. I loved them the first time I saw them, and had to save up so I could get the pair... Tiki Kane on the left and Tiki Wahine on right.

And yes, JT... he has a penis while she has breasts!!! Stay out of that sun!

• Myke

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2006-07-27 20:55 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 8:28 PM

Nice art, and youve done a great job of arranging them.

Looks very nice!!! Good job on the decorating front!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That looks great. The artwork really pops against the blue wall. Good choice in art too.

Pages: 1 6 replies