Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Need suggestions for good and affordable silver rum

Pages: 1 10 replies

We loved the Pyrat silver but can't seem to find it anymore. Tried a few others but can't find any that are as smooth and as affordable as the Pyrat. Thanks for your advice!

M
mbanu posted on Mon, Jul 31, 2006 5:53 AM

If you can't find a silver rum to your liking, use a young gold rum. The "premium" silver rums are just gold rums that have been filtered to remove their color.

[ Edited by: mbanu 2006-07-31 05:55 ]

I emailed the marketing department at Patron and they tell me they have stopped making Pyrat Blanco "because it no longer fits our strategy".

:(

IZ

Hi,

I've had a lot of good luck with Appleton White. Unless you need something very dry, it works well in lots of drinks that call for a light rum.

IZ

T

Try the excellent and recommend Cruzan Estate Light Rum (1.75 LTR) Regular Price: $16.99 ClubBev: $14.99 or the aforementioned Appleton White Rum.

K
Kono posted on Tue, Aug 1, 2006 4:01 PM

Matusalem Platino is a good one. It should be around the same price range as the Appleton or Pyrat.

KC

On 2006-07-31 21:13, I, Zombie wrote:
Hi,

I've had a lot of good luck with Appleton White. Unless you need something very dry, it works well in lots of drinks that call for a light rum.

IZ

Only problem is the "affordable" caveat of the OP. The only price I've seen for it is around $25 a bottle. At least here in Tucson...

Chris

IZ

On 2006-08-02 03:32, Kona Chris wrote:

On 2006-07-31 21:13, I, Zombie wrote:
Hi,

IZ

Only problem is the "affordable" caveat of the OP. The only price I've seen for it is around $25 a bottle. At least here in Tucson...

Chris

25 bucks! Wow that is alot. Here in the midwest, I've found it in the low teens before. Maybe I better stock up today!

I,Z

I've, lately, been happy with the Angostura Silver I've been getting for around $18 a fifth. Myers' Platinum too, though a bit pricey, has been hangin' out at my bar for the last few weeks.

I can agree Cruzan Estate Light is a terrific deal I bought a 750 ml bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar 302 W Mission Ave. Escondido, CA for $10.75 and plan on going back and pick up several more don't know if it a pricing error or sale. This sure beats the Bacardi swill for $14.99

Both the Cruzan Light and Dark 2 year rums are on sale right now for $9.99 a bottle locally. I was going to pick some up before they went off sale. I had been kind of scared off by the Black Strap rum, but I do need another cheap light rum. I have two more of the TJ's $7.99 bottles of Pyrat, but I can't get more of that very easily. I don't even know if the CA Trader Joe's stores still have any. No AZ TJ's carry hard alcohol.

Chris

Pages: 1 10 replies