Tiki At Now! volume 3
Curated by Otto von Stroheim of Tiki News magazine

Opening reception: Friday, September 15, 2006, 6 pm - 9 pm
Live set by Lushy from 7 - 7:45
Exhibit shows September 15 - October 9, 2006

2312 Second Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121 • [email protected] • 206-374-8977
http://www.roqlarue.com • Gallery hours: Wed/Thu 1 - 6; Fri 1-7; Sat 1 - 6

Gallery exhibit
On Friday, September 15, 2006 Roq la Rue Gallery & Tiki News unveil the third annual exhibit of new work from the top artists in the Tiki art scene and artists who have been uniquely inspired to create Tiki related works. Otto’s Tiki art shows have become known as the top group shows of Tiki art and the site of this show, Roq la Rue, is one of the most respected galleries presenting art from the Lowbrow scene.
Exhibit features artists from across the US, Canada, Germany and Japan, including: Shag, Lisa Petrucci, Bosko, Tim Biskup, Mr. G, Brian Barneclo. Wayne Coombs, Davey (Dave Wong), Crazy Al Evans, Dawn Frasier, Thorsten Hasenkamm, Munktiki Paul & Stuckie, Tiki Tony, Heather Watts, Derek Yaniger, and Burke Tyree. Highlights of the show include new ceramics by Munktiki, carvings by Old School originator the Florida Style of Tiki carving Wayne Coombs of Mai Tiki, and vintage velvet paintings by the original master Burke Tyree.

Exhibition catalog
All pieces from the exhibit are captured in a full color catalog available opening night. (PDF version or color proof version available upon request)
Published by Slave labor Graphics, the catalog features an introduction by pop culture historian and velvet painting enthusiast Larry Reid, and foreword by Tikimiester Otto von Stroheim, publisher of Tiki News.

You can view Heather Watts paintings in the Crafts forum here

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20459&forum=18&start=last&9

If you haven't seen it yet, the "virtual unveiling" of my paintings for the show is in the thread Otto mentioned http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20459&forum=18. But the physical unveiling will be so much better! I'll be there of course, and my parents are planning to come down again too, (and this time maybe even Mike, my "fyon-SAY" if he can get the time off work!)

I'm going to have artist statements about the pieces posted soon as well at my website, HeatherWatts.com.

Also go to the bottom of http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20459&forum=18 and see my long post for details on a contest related to an interactive art-piece I'm doing to promote the show. You have to guess what it is before I post it tomorrow night and if you're the first, you win a print of "False Idols", one of my pieces from last year's Tiki Art Now show.

Cheers!
Heather

CA

How the heck i'm i going to get my pieces to Seattle in one piece???? eeeeek! pic to come... look out!

I'll be coming into town for this event.
I can't wait to see my favorite Seattle Ohana again, plus everyone that will be there for the show!

S

WHY WHY WHY do I have to go to a wedding that night???
In Marys-frickin-ville no less.
ARRRRGH
maybe I'll be feeling ill and can't go to the wedding...
Pea

H

You'll feel ill by the time you hit Everett's paper mills, anyhow... might as well stick to town!

It's far from a done deal, but I really, really want to make it up for this. It looks like a great show, and besides, I've gotta see the Bellevue Trader Vic's.

D

If you’re coming to Seattle for Tiki Art 3 ~ please send your email to [email protected]. There are plans afoot ~ nothing as organized as a crawl ~ more like a Jet City Junket.

A Seattle Tiki & Fun Stuff Guide, Schedules and Evites will be emailed out as plans come together!

PLT

We'll be there!!

CA

here be sneak peek at the pieces for Tiki Art III

http://www.tikimania.com/docs/ALshow.html

mid to lower pg

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-08-06 22:36 ]

That's Crazy!

Al!

T

Anyone want to pick up a Munktiki Event mug for me. I want a black. Please PM me if you think you can. I have yet to get a person to get me an event mug. Anyone

O
Otto posted on Tue, Sep 12, 2006 11:25 PM

Just wanted to add that the following artists will be at the show opening night:
Shag (Orange County)
Davey Wong (San Francisco)
Dawn Frasier (Seattle)
Lisa Petrucci (Seattle)
Heather Watts (Vancouver)

The Shag pieces must be seen in person (I am told by gallery owner Kirsten)
They are five feet tall!

In case any of you have gone to http://www.roqlarue.com to check out the art, but not gone to http://www.shag.com/ShagAfterDark/TikiArt3.html

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to fix link - 2006-09-12 23:42 ]

T

Anyone. anyone?

S

teaKEY,
I'd git ya one, but I dont' think I'll make it to the gallery
before the show is over.
fooooooey.
sorry!
Pea

T

Thanks anyway Pea

Big writeup in the Seattle post this morning for the show!

S

I'm coming too!

What did the special mug look like???

W

The art show is great...And I do mean the show not just the opening, so if yer boo-hoo-hooin' 'bout not bein there last night dry yer eyes and see about seein' the show...Hangin' til October 9. (And I'd guess the gallery, which was still packed at 8:30 when we got there, won't smell like a men's locker room the resta the show.)

Mosta the stuff has to be seen in person to really blow yer mind. The online images and catalog are good, but seein' them in real life makes a huge difference. There were several pieces I was indifferent about when I saw 'em on line but I was really impressed when I got eye-to-eye with 'em.

PS: I can't recall what the special mug looked like exactly. I got there late and it looked like they were all gone and I just glimpsed one a fella was buyin'. I was a little distracted by a swell Moai lamp on the counter near him.

T

Is there going to be a Tiki Art Now 3 book coming out? Hmm...Otto...anyone?

T

Yes, you could see the cover of what it looks like a month ago.

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUNKTIKI-Tiki-Art-Show-Mug-Tan_W0QQitemZ160031753481QQihZ006QQcategoryZ29460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I'll probably never get one. This picture of the brwon sure dosen't look like the picture of it a while back. 100 bucks, its more moeny than the Hut.

E

I would like to thank Otto for bringing together a really incredible Tiki Art show...it was most definitely a huge success on a perfect night and I'm really glad I got to finally attend one. It was great finally meeting Otto in person as well. Lushy was fun to hear as always, and Selector Lopaka did a fantastic job with the music at Roq La Rue. I personally had a very fun time and hope to get to go to another one in the future...

D

Seattle Times has an article about the show and tiki in seattle.

There is an article in the Seattle Times, with Tiki Central prominently mentioned here.

A belated massive mahalo to Otto and the sisters of Roq La Rue for hosting such a great event all around, and in my hometown to boot. I feel blessed and honored to have been able to participate. Next to the Garfield High School Class of 1985 20th reunion, it was my most satisfying DJ gig. The art looks beautiful and even more beautiful with red dots. Congrats to all the artists!

The Tiki Art Now show Otto curated at Roq la Rue Gallery was super fab, the opening was incredible and the press it got was amazing. We hope everyone had as good of time as we did!

Jo and I posted a few photos of the opening online, along with some pix of some of the home tiki bars we all visited.

We'll see you next year at Tiki Oasis!

"Click HERE to see photos of Seattle's Tiki Art Now! show curated by Otto Von Stroheim"

Miss Marlow
Seattle, WA

[ Edited by: Miss Marlow 2006-09-25 00:27 ]

Otto, are there any books left? It's so cool!
[ Edited by: Miss Marlow 2006-09-25 00:58 ]

[ Edited by: Miss Marlow 2006-09-25 00:59 ]

P

Many thanks to Otto and Roq La Rue for bringing TIki Art Now 3 to Seattle... It was a blast ! Looking forward to next year, thanks so much again !

Pages: 1 28 replies