Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ernie Menehune (img heavy)

Pages: 1 43 replies

Most people outside of Tucson probably don't know about a little gem we have here called Ernie Menehune. He is a WWII veteran and bills himself as "Hawaii's Suntanned Irishman."

Ernie is the consumate perfomer and has been performing with his Polynesian Review here in Tucson at Ye Ole Lantern for years (Ye Ole Lantern was one of Dean Shorts' restaurants, his other restaurants included the Kon Tiki, Pago Pago and Ports o' Call.) Unfortunately the Lantern closed down about six months ago, fortunately we now have the opportunity to see Ernie again at the Kon Tiki here in Tucson. See this thread
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20471&forum=4&3.

Ernie's records can be found in the thrift stores around town pretty easily. It is however rather difficult to find a record that he has not been previously signed so we usually just have him resign them for us. He loves it when people bring in his old LP's, just a hint for anyone who might be coming to the show.

Here are a couple of newspaper articles that give a bit more info on him.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/Issues/1996-06-27/news/columns.html
http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tw/11-07-96/mus.htm

Ernie lives on the outskirts of Tucson in Menehune Village, a compound that he built and planted with his own two hands decades ago. Here are some pictures of the Tucson Polynesian Society's luau at Menehune Village last spring.

Ernie carves his own tikis.

Elvis doesn't perform with the Polynesian Review he just shows up for the luaus.

Anyway, that's a little history on Ernie. He really is the sweetest man you could ever meet. Hopefully sometime we can have a reunion show at the Kon Tiki with Ernie and his longtime friend and polynesian crooner Freddie Baker. Freddie still performs nightly in Albuquerque. I highly recommend catching his show if you are in the area.

cheeky half

http://www.velvetglass.com

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2006-08-14 14:20 ]

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2006-08-20 09:10 ]

very cool thread. thanks for creating content.

Ernie Menehune is STILL AROUND? holy CRAP...I have run into 2 of his LPs in the past year...that he is still around is amazing...he should round up as many of the old school guys that are still here in this world and do an EXOTICA SUPER TOUR.
Yeah--his stuff actually holdds up--is his steel guitar player still around? He did all the arrangements and he was SMOKIN'

Thanks MM. It's nice to have some content to post. Hopefully we can get a good group of tc'ers to help keep the show up and running.

BB, grab those LP's and bring them down here to Tucson for the show. He usually just performs now with a keyboard player, but I don't know if that will change for the Kon Tiki show.

If anyone out there is interested in seeing Ernie it's probably best to do it sooner rather than later. He is 80-something years old and keeps trying to retire, we just keep pulling him back in.

This is awesome news!!! Quick someone call the Hukilau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

H

Thanks for the heads-up, cheeky half! That Phoenix New Times article in particular is great. I hope they're able to make this a monthly happening. Does his wife Beverly come out for the show, too?

Hi Humuhumu, I believe the goal is to make this a monthly show. Maybe we can entice you to come back to the desert for another visit.

Unfortunately, his wife Beverly passed away a few years ago. I did not have the opportunity to see her perform but I have heard that she was a brilliant hula dancer.

H

I'm sorry to hear that she's passed. She came across as a great personality in that article, I bet she was a hoot. I'm definitely itching to get back to the Kon Tiki, and Hanford really wants to see it, too! Our August is already chock-full, but we'll cross our fingers that a future show will be workable for us.

Menehune Village!!? Wow, what a find! I wanna go! I always loved his name, and have an LP that credits some of his venues in the back. He always struck me as the classic example of a mainland Tiki lounge performer. Guys, could you post some pics of his LPs in this thread?
There was a nice article about Freddie Baker years ago in Tiki News, good to hear that he's still around too.

KC

Cool! I'm hoping to make it on the 13th. I have to work that night, but I still should be able to go. Hope to see you there Cheeky :)

Chris

Cheeky Half:

What part of the old Pueblo is Menehune Village in? Is that on the far East Side?
Let Kimo and I know when the next event there is and we'll come join you.

RND

Hey Sven, we've posted some of his albums on our website, the images are a little large and there are quite a few of them.

http://www.velvetglass.com/tikipages/erniemenehune.html

Hope you can make it Chris and invite all of your friends. We want to keep Ernie coming back.

cheeky half

Good morning RND,

Menehune Village is on the far Southwest side.

Ernie made a suprise announcement at the springtime gathering that it would be the last luau he would host or MC. I don't know if that meant no more luaus or if he just didn't want to have to organize them. If something does come up we'll definitely let you know.

Are you coming to the show at the KT? I don't see you on the list for Scottsdale. Hopefully we can get together soon.

cheeky half

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2006-08-01 10:34 ]

On 2006-08-01 10:11, cheeky half wrote:
Hey Sven, we've posted some of his albums on our website, the images are a little large and there are quite a few of them.

http://www.velvetglass.com/tikipages/erniemenehune.html

Thanks! I have have the "Aloha Land" one, but those others really are classics of Polynesian Pop, very cool! Motels on the cover, restaurants on the back, that's as good as Paul Page.

I will have both Tiki Kais in my new book, the Albuquerque one because it had Witco in it, and the Denver one because of its infamous lingerie waitressing period. As I pointed out before somewhere here, the giant (Trader Vic's logo style) New Guinea statue and the Moai in the back came from Barney West's Tiki Junction, you can see him carving that PNG statue in the BOT in the last chapter.

Also, did you ever catch my post that pointed out that one specific Tiki at the Tucson Kon Tiki that I discovered in the Milan Guanko line up in the B&W photo of the Tiki nursery in my book?

Ernie Menehune Rocks! I love that guy. I found Waikiki Jackpot about ten years ago (in Southern California) and I was totally caught off guard when I read it was produced in Phoenix AZ! That's where my family is from, and hearing that he is still playing is great news. Ernie was one of the first influences on me and a great inspiration. Long Live Ernie Menehune!!

Hey Sven, I do remember that. Many of the tikis at KT are reminiscent of tikis in that picture. I wonder if Milan Guanko was the original supplier.

Bob at OA said that Dean Shorts, the owner, was.... let's say "thrifty." Apparently he would buy things from OA and then find other people that could reproduce it at a lesser cost, hence the lack of detail and sharpness in the original Kon Tiki Tucson mug. Dean got the original sun god mug from OA, then he had local manufacturers Fire Hut and Carmax copy it. So, if Milan was selling his carvings for less it sounds like Dean would have switched over to doing business with him.

But I don't want to hijack my own thread so back to Ernie. I hope people will seriously consider taking a road trip to Tucson for the opportunity to see him.

cheeky half

On 2006-08-03 09:11, cheeky half wrote:
Hey Sven, I do remember that. Many of the tikis at KT are reminiscent of tikis in that picture. I wonder if Milan Guanko was the original supplier....

...But I don't want to hijack my own thread so back to Ernie.

Yes, and I'm sorry for harping on it, it's just that I saw that one TODAY on page 15 of the new Tiki Magazine! It's the one with the most horribly clownish paint job ever(!), Milan would drop dead again would he see it. I'm glad the Tiki Farm mug based on it does not reflect that color scheme...

OK, I'll shut up about it now, back to Ernie!

I am sure you asked, but does he have any photos of his gigs that show interesting interiors/exteriors of Tiki bars?

Didn't he perform on Hawaiian Eye once?..or for the cast, at a party..? I seem to remember something like that...damn' I don't have my archive here...gotta ask Kevin.
When you talk to Ernie next, ask him!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-08-03 12:14 ]

I'd go down there if that place had a GARAGE SALE...I'll be the has some KILLER mementos. Guys like that don't know how GREAT they had it...I'm sure he played some RIDICULOUS dives in the day...

Ernie is hosting his annual luau at Menehune Village on September 30th. You can purchase tickets through his keyboard player, Larry Armstrong. His cell phone number is (520) 490-3279. Ernie said that Elvis will definitely be in attendance.

I have posted pics from Ernies show at the Kon Tiki in the events forum http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20471&forum=4&9

FYI, the cost of the tickets include food, but it is byomt.

Hope to see you there!

cheeky half

Cheeky Half ~ Mucho Mahalo for taking the time to post your pics. Please keep us posted on all upcoming events. Soccer Tiki and I can't wait to visit Tucson again.

On 2006-08-02 21:36, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Ernie Menehune Rocks! I love that guy. I found Waikiki Jackpot about ten years ago (in Southern California) and I was totally caught off guard when I read it was produced in Phoenix AZ! That's where my family is from, and hearing that he is still playing is great news. Ernie was one of the first influences on me and a great inspiration. Long Live Ernie Menehune!!

I am just "Blown Away" by this thread!
Ernie Menehune was always known to me as "Uncle Ernie". My Dad played lead guitar with him for years.
My Dad was also a member of the Polynesian Society and played at and attended every Luau at the Latitude 20.. with my Mom. As a kid growing up I never could figure out why there was always strange food items in our fridge- Lomi Lomi Salmon, Poi.. Kalua Pig.. Jeepers.. Rattan furniture, grass mats, tiki gods everywhere.. and those haunting memories of my Dad singing to me as he played his guitar.. Princess Pupule, and the Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai.
I haven't seen Ernie in years.. and remember the "Twins" very well.. I am uploading some photos for you all, if I can figure it out.. and I plan on getting in touch with "Uncle Ernie" and hopefully coming into town for the big Luau!
My Dad also played with Sam Kaapuni and the Polynesians. as well as Joe Keawe.. I have photos .. plenty of photos to share.
Please feel free to get in touch with me if I can answer any questions or offer anything of value.
The photos you see Ernie no stage singing with my Dad in the background ( on the left) playing guitar and Ernie with Joe Keawe and my Dad holding up the MORE sign. Ernie getting an award of some kind.. I forget for what...? Also Ernie and Joe singing together. More to come.

Mahalo!

ok here are some more photos for you-

Ernie and the "girls"

Ernie and his band- all photos taken at the Latitude 20

The girls

Here is another shot of the "Twins"

and as a added bonus feature-

Here is a shot of my Dad, then in the Air Force at some fabulous tiki bar bar with a few people.. one to his left non other than Al McIntire.

Aloha Girlwerks, welcome aboard. Those are great pictures! Up until now we've only had his record covers to document his early career. How did your dad and Ernie meet?

I'm so glad that you will have a chance to see Ernie again and share this with him as well.

cheeky half

WOW!!!! This thread just keeps better and better!! Welcome to Tiki Central Girlwerks and thanks mucho for posting those wonderful pictures!! Hopefully I can attend Ernie's Luau as well. I think it would be a blast!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Thank you all for the fabulous Welcome! I am glad to be here and to be able to contribute some of my history ...

My Dad met Ernie through the Polynesian Society and Joe Keawe.. I just all of a sudden remember him coming into our lives.. Just also dug out an old LP of his where he signed it to my Mom.. will scan it in for you all to see.
Also as I go, am finding some other pretty great treasures ...
I grew up in the '60s.. so you can imagine. My Dad was an ex Cowboy actor turned Cop.. and played guitar with a Hawaiian band.
What did I know..
:)

Hey Girlwerks, do you know if your dad played guitar on any of Ernie's records?

Thanks for letting us use your photographs girlwerks! We've built a small Ernie shrine here http://www.velvetglass.com/erniemenehune/erniemain.html You can hear a couple of his old songs too.

cheeky half

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2006-08-28 17:57 ]

I am honored and thrilled to bits that you used my photos!!

LOVE what you did!!

Did I say LOVE? I am absolutely blown away !!!

What an honor.. My Dad would of been so proud.

A million Mahalo's

T

I took my parents to the Latitude 20 in Torrance to celebrate their wedding anniversary. Ernie had a colleague who was quite heavy-set who performed a pantomime of what could have been Humpty Dumpty. He wore no shirt and a huge hat that sat on his shoulders. Painted eyes on his chest and lips about his belly button. By flexing his stomach, he made it look like he was whistling to the theme from the Bridge over River Kwai. My father laughed so hard that he ended up on the floor!

Ernie still has his pal perform at shows. This was last years Tiki Oasis. Calls him 'The Thing' and he still gets a bit of a giggle...

Oh, and welcome to TC

CH

V

I was just in Tucson a couple of weeks ago, and I met Ernie. What an amazing dude!! He showed me around his desert oasis as he was preparing for his annual Luau. I picked up an awesome drum he made out of a palm stump. It has an amazing sound to it. He also gave me a tiki that he carved. He is truly an awesome guy!! I'm so glad I got to meet him while I was there.
He has a real zest for life, and loves to have fun. He's in his 80's and going strong!!
I look forward to seeing him again in Long Beach for The Tiki Beach Festival.

[ Edited by: VonTiki 2009-03-22 20:20 ]

G

Does anyone know when Ernie's 2010 luau is happening?

Everyone should check out Digitiki's podcast with the Jeff Chenault interview with Ernie Menehune. It inspired me to perform "Back In Aloha Land" at OHANA this year. What an incredible singer/performer!

On 2010-07-08 13:45, Gilligan wrote:
Does anyone know when Ernie's 2010 luau is happening?

He usually has it earlier in the year. I have'nt heard anything though. Cheeky Half would know.

Ernie's the best!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Ernie Menehune passed away on Thursday, March 26th 2015 in Tucson, Arizona.

Here is a link to my facebook page with some unpublished photos.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/jeff.chenault.56/posts/815984495117936?pnref=story

Also look for a tribute to him in the next issue of Tiki Magazine (Spring 2015).

Cheers and mahalo Ernie! You were the best!!!

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2015-03-30 10:09 ]

Its nice that Ernie lived long enough to see a new wave of fans for his music.

such amazing pics on page 2! traveling jones introduced me to ernie at tiki oasis '08. he had met and interviewed ernie in arizona a few years earlier. ernie had some great tales about wwII and hanging with sinatra in vegas. aloha nui loa and mahalo braddah ernie!

Sad news. We saw Ernie at Kon Tiki around new years 2013. I've lived in Tucson for 62 years and can't remember not hearing about Ernie from my parents and then personally.
What a great life, and such a nice guy.

M

What a great life, and such a nice guy.

Hard to ask for a better epitath.
Aloha, Ernie!

I thought I would ad a scrap book to this thread in remembrance of Ernie Menehune.

I never had the pleasure of seeing one of his shows.

DC

Thanks dustycajun!!!!! :)

These are wonderful!!!

Pages: 1 43 replies