Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moai Knife - New Knife Project - Update 09/08

Pages: 1 8 replies

F

Hi All
This post was inspired by Horseman1's post.
For a while I have thought about combining my hobby (knife making) with my love of all things South Pacific.
So here goes,
I started carving a Moai knife handle, which was constantly re-worked to try and get the right profile, inspired by many posts on the forum.
When I saw Horseman1's post about a knife I decided to try and finish the project.

Handle - English Bog Oak (very, very old 1000yrs+) Inset Paua shell, finished with Teak Oil.
Guard - Black Buffalo Bone
Blade - Lammi Balde, part of an original batch made between 1928-1930.

I am making a sheath from Stingray skin and a blade stand from the same Bog Oak.
Hope you like
Regards
Flynny

[ Edited by: flynny 2006-08-06 23:21 ]

[ Edited by: flynny 2006-08-07 10:18 ]

[ Edited by: flynny 2006-08-07 23:31 ]

[ Edited by: flynny 2006-08-08 22:35 ]

Awesome use of material.
Great job.

B

FLinny, Nice knife handle and the blade looks awesome too. Stick around and do a few more projects, only show us how you did each one next.
Lookin Good!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Aug 1, 2006 11:17 PM

Nice work - the paua inlay looks great, kinda like a full moon on his forehead. Do you hand forge your blades?

F

Hi Paipo
Thanks for the comments guys, the blade used in this knife is 3 layer forged carbon steel made in Finland, The Lammi Company no longer exists and this is old stock from 1928-30.
Mostly I use Finnish stick tang blades or full tang bushcraft type blades but I know a blacksmith who lives about 30 miles away who forges blades from W2 steel and I have used his blades also.
Paipo did you get my email sent via your web site regarding the fish hook book?
Best Regards
Flynny

F

I'm stsrting a new knife project:-
I am going to have a go at creating a Tike knife, this time with a full tang blade, which won't allow me to carve anything in the round only on the two flat sides:-
Blade - 01 Tool Steel
Pins - Nickel Silver
Handle - Alternative Ivory

Here are the componants, Blade is drilled to lighten and to provide a better surface for epoxy to grip.
Handle slabs are roughly cut to shape, and you can see my traced design, a basket weave on the reverse and a tiki design on the front.
Will post pics as I progress.
Regards
Flynny

F

Latest pics:-
Pins filed to length
Slabs epoxied to knife blade using a slow dry epoxy 24hrs cure.
The whole thing clamped between 2 pieces of softwood.

next pics tommorrow, hopefully everything will have set OK.
Regards
Flynny
P.S I'm already having second thoughts on carving the design on a full tang knife.

F

Knife out of the clamps and sanded to final finish:-

240 to 8000 grit, prior to applying the tracing over carbon paper.

will post more pics as it progresses
Regards
Flynny

F

Hi Guys
Knife handle polished and the basket weave traced on using carbon paper then carved it's about 70% finished this side. This the first time I have used Diamond burrs with my Maxicraft pendant drill. I intend to finish of this side then cover with masking tape prior to carving the Tiki on the other side. I am going to practice on a few scrap pieces first before I ruin a perfectly good knife so th finished article may take a while.
Maybe I should just send it to Paipo for some of that real intricate stuff.
regards
Flynny

Pages: 1 8 replies