Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

There is a tiki party going on in my backyard

Pages: 1 26 replies

Hello tiki Centralites,

I just wanted to show you some of the projects going on in my backyard.
My neighbors have been calling the city planning and the fire dept. on me whenever they get a chance, so I am only working on small ones at home. I try to create the big ones up in my mountain work as well as most of the noisy work. (chainsaw/grinder)

Below is some sloppy chainsaw work.

These tikis, if you can call them that, are in the finishing sanding process. The large, skinny double tiki is now residing at Aloha Grill. I'll show some pictures of the finished product when I get over there.

Some of these tikis are flat on the back. They are actually the first cut that has to be made in the milling process. Normally, these pieces would either be thrown away or chopped into mulch. I always feel good about making these, it is kind of recycling.

Below are images of some more burl Moai. These are the only traditional style tikis that I will carve since no one really knows about this lost culture.

Thanks for checking out my post.

Will

[ Edited by: SCTikiShack 2006-08-02 10:36 ]

Sorry to hear about the neighbors Will. They obviously don't appreciate true art.

Awesome work. I really need to get a carving bar for my chainsaw.

B

If thats Sloppy chainsaw work, I'd like to see the "Fine" work. As for the Other tikis, the realism is Astounding and you must have been up all night getting the color just right! Very well done, Will

You have a great and unique carving style that comes out in all your tikis. Nice work.:drink:

T

i agree with ben.....if that's sloppy chainsaw work, bring on the good stuff. those tikis are amazing!! i really like the moai burls you do, they always look great!

RodeoTiki,

My neighbors have too much time on their hands. Even though I am trying to limit my home tiki carving just to sanding, I guess it is too much for them. However, the city came by and said there is no issue.
I'm telling you, a carving bar will make creating you beautiful tiki mailbox a lot easier.

Benzart,
The fine work is coming your way, just kidding. Sorry to get on my soapbox and be a little sarcastic, I'm just tired of hearing anti chainsaw stuff. Maybe I'm just being sensitive.
As for the color on the Moai, all I did was add a few coats of Danish oil. This oil really brings out the characteristics in the wood.

Savage Daddy,
Thank you, I have been trying to make every tiki a little different. Even though sometimes I will use other tikis as references, they are always Santa Cruz tikified as I like to call it.

Tiki 5-0,
Unfortunately, as for my carvings, this is the good stuff. Once sealed they thend to look a little more polished. I'm lucky to have access to redwood burls, the stuff is super beautiful. It seems like whatever you do with it, it comes out amazing.

Thanks Again,
Will

J

I love your "sloppy" chainsaw art. Sorry about the neighbors, I certainly wouldn't mind- but then again, I run a saw a lot myself. Keep posting.
JP

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Aug 2, 2006 4:46 PM

Whooooooaaaaaa! You sir are sandbaggin! Awweesom, "Projects"

Mahalo

Mc

B

Actually when I posted my comment, there were No tiki Pictures there. But there were pictures of your beautiful family, why did you take them away??

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 2, 2006 6:18 PM

Will,

Those are first-rate pieces. I love your style and the control you must have over your saw is awesome. There is a lot to be said for being able to work with a chainsaw and make beautiful carvings like that. So pure and bold. Those throw away first-cut slabs are fantastic! I love what you do. I wish you would post more often and show us your progress pics. Your tikis are among the finest I have ever seen. Stay true to the saw.

-Gman

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 2, 2006 10:35 PM

Fun stuff. GROG like. A+

JohnnyP,
I wish that I had you as a neighbor. Mine get all upset even if I just do some loud hand sanding. Some people have too much time on their hands.

Mc Tiki,

I'm not trying to sandbag. I just have been so busy that the only time I get to go on tiki central is when I am at my day job. In between trading Mutual Funds I am always trying to log into TC and post topics reply etc. It looks like you had fun with Gary a few weeks back.

Benzart,
I didn't know that I posted pictures of my family. Since we had our little guy, my wife and I have been camera happy. Our computer is full of pictures of him so I wouldn't be surprised if I accidentally posted one. We have relatives in Jupiter and might visit Florida one of these days, it would be nice to look you up.

GMAN,
What can I say? From one power saw carver to another, I have a lot of respect for you. Since seeing some of your injuries, I have been wearing more protective gear. Gone are the days of carving in shorts and flip flops. Please post some pictures of you project when you are finished.

Grog,
Thanks For giving me an A+. I feel like I am in tiki college.

Will

B

Will, when you come to Florida I hope you look me up. Email me before you leave and I'll make sure we get together. I am only about 30 minutes from Jupiter. :)

WOW. i dont see how you said "sloppy" that is nearly a sin to your work haha. good job. i need to figure out about this chainsaw carving. im sure i would be able to make things alot better and cut down some time because all i got right now are little hand chizzles.
good work

TG

Will, sweet. Things are looking good your way. Luckily I have had no complaints out of my neighbors yet. I think they just bite their tongues actually....

Hey man I got your call a while back and just totally spaced on calling you back, sorry about that. We are heading to Costa October 13th-19th. We originally planned for November, but had to back it up a little. I think you said you were heading down in November? We will be in Mal Pais. Where are you heading?

Awesome looking stuff with the backyard party going on! Catch some waves out there for us cause there damn sure isn't any here;)

bump. Where ya at Will ?

Rodeo,

I have been super busy.
Recently, I just finished putting on a slate roof on my house. However, this doesn't mean that I haven't been carving. I am doing some carving and/ or sanding every day. One of these days when I get a moment I'll post some pics.
Thank you for thinking of me,
Will

Damn neighbors. It's good to see the new stuff.

slate roof? that's NOT tiki! Where's that damn "un-tiki" thread...

the south swells are coming!!!!

Raffertiki and Polynesiac,

What's up guys? I hope life is treating you well. Sorry to be kind of a bonehead by being absent from this forum lately. I have kind of developed a love/hate relationship with it. I blame this on being a Gemini thus bipolar.

Raffer, I haven't seen any images of tikis on your post lately. What up? Whenever I see your post, it makes me stoked, then when I go check it out and no pics, makes we want to cry. No worries though, I always get to see your headhunter tiki with is one of my all time favorites.

Polynesiac,
Are you going to be home during Christmas?
I'll be down there and it would be cool to meet up with you and check out your work.
Also, is it cool if I tag along at Royal Palms, paddle around and drop in on everyone and then say I'm a buddy of yours?
Just kidding, I have better manners then most of the people out there these days.
I'll send you a PM.

Here are some freshies

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 29, 2006 4:30 PM

Super sick carves sir! Thanks for posting them. All of your work just screams to me! The dark poles are trick!

Will,

Those poles are the coolest. Beautiful work. At first I just saw the one in the foreground then my eye traveled back to see the others. Just one is amazing. The whole bunch leaves me speechless. They fit the space so perfect. Pretty hefty logs themselves too. I like seeing the huge tikis you make.

Love the other new additions too... nice and clean!

Gman & Lake,

Thanks for your plugs.

The big fatty tikis were a chore to work with, they were around 1/2 a ton each and I had to use a backhoe and lots of leverage to move them. I don't know about you guys, but I have become kind of a bear from moving lots of logs. When it was time to deliver them, I somehow got them into a loaded down U-haul. The 12 hour, all night drive, to Phoenix was pretty interesting, but miraculously we made it.

Normally, I like to carve my large tikis deeper, but these had to be split in half and wrapped around a support pole.

These are the finished product of the ones I had in a separate post last year. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.

Gman, where are the pictures of your project using the burl I sent you? I'm sure that it looks killer. you can post it under "other crafts".

Will

R

Nice work!

J

On 2006-11-29 16:25, SCTikiShack wrote:

Thanks for posting these pictures of the tikis in theri final home. I was wondering where these were placed. Your deep cut line style is mind boogleing how perfect those cuts are.

JP

JP & Reid-O,

Thank you guys. I just love making huge tikis. Redwood seems to prefer deep large cuts as to small detailed carving. Perfect for chainsaw work. These tikis are currently living in a restaurant attached to the ValleyHo Hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona. If you are ever there, you should check this hotel out. It is 5 star hotel completely remodeled 60's style. Supposedly, it is one of the top ten sexiest hotels in America.

Will

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 5, 2006 4:26 PM

BIG FAT SEXY tikis! Only the best from Will! If I ever get to Arizona, I'm going looking for that hotel - just so I can get my picture taken with those guys.

Pages: 1 26 replies