Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Our Tiki (er tropical) Garden < New Pics page 3>

Pages: 1 43 replies

Hello everyone, we thought it was time we shared some pics of our Tiki Garden. We enjoy Tiki Central very very much. Spreading the Tiki love in far western Kentucky......enjoy! We have been at this for 3 years now and enjoy it.

From under the roof...

and other angles...

[ Edited by: drslingshot 2006-08-09 03:14 ]

[ Edited by: drslingshot 2011-02-20 16:50 ]

[ Edited by: drslingshot 2011-02-21 13:19 ]

we appreciate all comments......so lets here from some of you

Looks like a great place for a party!!!!!
How do the neighbors like it?...Mine are still uncertain!

S

Your plants are fantastic!!!
Can't git too many tropicals to grow that big here!
Looks nice and relaxing there!
Wish I could come over!
PEa

yes moondog had a few good parties here this year. The neighbors think its supposed to be a jumgle theme..lol We are educating them about Tiki.....

we do good with the tropicals sweetpea. Have to dig them up every year but its well worth the work. Sweetpea the gate is always open so come on in and enjoy the relaxation!

P
pablus posted on Thu, Aug 3, 2006 1:04 PM

The place looks awesome.
Your banana trees are better than mine.

Jerk.

Welcome to TC...mumble grumble... :wink:

Hey, you need to make up a tiki drink that uses moonshine.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 6:31 AM

I am guessing that palm tree is fake? YEah, the bananas are great and your Elephant Ears are huge! Are those Musa Basjoo? Do you bring those in in winter? I'm here in East TN and the first year for my garden. I look forward to everything filling in and getting tall like that.

thanks Pablus, I will work on a monnshine cocktail.....lol

swanky,

the palm is real too, it's in a pot. Yes we dig everything up in the winter. The elephant ears were that big last year too(3rd year with these plants) not sure about the variety you mentioned. The bananas and elephant ears were given too us. We started with 3 little banana trees and 4 elephant ears! Now we are gonna have to expand again this winter...

On 2006-08-02 18:07, drslingshot wrote:

Hey, is that Pele (from the Enchanted Tiki Room)?

BTW, how do you keep your palms and taro plants alive in Kentucky during the winter?

tikipedia,

we dig up all the plants each year. Store the plants and bulbs in a basement. Yes that a pele knock off statue, one of the Big Lot statues. I know some people here think they are chessy but it works well for us....at 29.99 and a little paint it worked out well....

G

Very nice place you have there. Thanks for posting the pics! I'm amazed at how fast bananas can grow in a single season. About 4 months ago I planted a red banana in our screened in porch and it's now about 15 feet high and about to reach the top of the screen. Don't know what I'm going to do when it hits the top. I didn't think it would get that high so fast.

Great place !!! And those elephant ears are so cool!!! Great job!!

Amy

thank you Queen we spend alot of timee out there. I am quickly learning what we need to get rid of and re think our setting style.

I don't think that because people on a website dont agree with your taste you should change anything.
At the time you posted it you were proud of your work and I would think you enjoyed spending time there. If it makes you happy keep it the way it is!! I don't like to wear Hawaiian shirts, and just because lots of people here do doesn't mean I will. I respect that they like those shirts , just not my thing.

I thank you for taking the time to share your home space and I am sorry that you may not have gotten the warmest of responses.

Your bananas and taro are incredible! I really like your little bridge from the lawn to the deck, it's sort of like walking a plank.

If I were you I'd turn that dry waterfall into an active one, with pele shooting water out her hat(I know, she's a fire deity and all)

Garden tikis are hard to find, I've only got three so far!(not including the 6 solar PMP guys)

Enjoy your yard, I know I spend far too much time with the up-keep, and not enough time just sitting around relaxing in it.

thanks rodeotiki, I was just thinking the same thing myself. We truly enjoy our little niche hidden in our back yard.

tikiwahine, many thanks for the compliments. You noticed the plank good eyes. We do spend alot of time on upkeep but we make up for it in relaxing and drinking..lol

the waterfall has already been planned for the winter work. I have access to alot more of the rock ( it's hematite a local variety in west ky ) Will have a small pool in front of Pele then lead into a waterfall .

We put alot of love and sweat into those Banana trees lol

glad you enjoyed the pics wahine

tikiwahine,

have water will travel....lol well could not wait til next year on the waterfall. Added a small basin and pump today. Will make it mucg larger over the winter. Have to get all my plants out for the year. Then we will be ready to create the finished product.

B
Bete posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 4:11 PM

That's a cool garden area.

ahh excellent! I really enjoy my waterfall, the sounds are great atmosphere.

Like the waterfall. Cant wait to see it next year!

Are your bananas in pots? Do they stay alive through your winter?

Bete, thanks for the compliments, we sure enjoy it

Tikiwahine, thought you would like the waterfall, you did inspire us afterall

Chip and Andy, thanks to you also about liking the waterfall. its going to be "bigger" next year.. The plants are in the ground. We dig them up every winter and store the trees in a basement.

Oh we now have Bananas on the biggest tree! Will take a few pics later today to post here.

On 2006-08-10 10:39, drslingshot wrote:
...Oh we now have Bananas on the biggest tree!

That is why I was asking, do they fruit after digging them up? And, is this the first time they have set flower and fruit? There is nothing quite like a banana shake made from your own home-grown fuit!

Chip and Andy,

This is our first bloom, this plant is 4 years old now. Not sure if digging them up makes the bloom slow ? Banana shakes...mmmmmm....sounds good . My wife is ecstatic with the bloom this year.

On 2006-08-10 12:56, drslingshot wrote:
Chip and Andy,

This is our first bloom, this plant is 4 years old now. Not sure if digging them up makes the bloom slow ? Banana shakes...mmmmmm....sounds good . My wife is ecstatic with the bloom this year.

The flower is so fascinating to watch open. The big flower peels back to reveal teeny-tiny little flowers on teeny-tiny little bananas. Depending on the type of plant it can take up to three months for the fruit to mature enough to eat. It seems like forever, but it is worth the wait!

As the flower opens to reveal the hands of bananas you will eventually get to a point there the little fingerlings just fall off. You can speed the growth of the other bananas by cutting the stalk just below that point. I will dig through my pictures tonight and see if I can find some to share.

--EDIT--

Here are some of the picture from our banana, this is what you have to look forward to with yours:

Here it is again about two weeks later..

See at the bottom of the flower, where the new ity-bity bananas are yellow, they fall off very easily ... from that point down you are not going to get any viable fruit. If you want to eat some bananas, cut the stalk just below the point where those flowers/fuit start to fall off. That will speed the growth of the bananas above the cut.

Who wants a Mai Tai?

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2006-08-11 11:15 ]

Chip and Andy,

Thanks for the very informative pics. Will do your trick ( hoping our Ky weather holds it's normal hot and humid til october pattern)to our plant. We certainly appreciate your advice and pics.

Chip and Andy, and everyone reading this thread. Heres some pics of the Bananas....these were taken 2 days ago.

F

That is really great. Come and see my garden, lots of picture http://www.planttropical.com

:)

Drslingshot, I'm not familiar with palms and banana plants/trees. When you say you bring them inside for the winter do they have to be kept in sunlight or inside just for warmth, is there a dormant season for them?

I'm in SE PA and have seen some sort of tropicals in the area and noticed their abscence in the winter, just curious as to how much maintenance is required during winter. Also do you have to use pesticides on them before bringing them in?

I also see that you have a thatch umbrella. Is that real thatch or the new type made with a poly material. If its the poly material, how do you like it? How is it holding up?

Thanks in advance, Uncrichie...

[ Edited by: uncrichie 2006-09-22 15:27 ]

DR , do the elephant palms do well in the palm springs weather, they are so cool! would love to plant some...thanks for any info

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2006-09-22 23:56 ]

Nice idea of painting the target tiki!

Are those elephant ear, or taro?

H

QK, I have elephant palms in my backyard, I live in the San Fernando Valley and the weather gets pretty hot and dry in the summertime (well over 110 at times). I have them planted in a shady area and I water them on a regular basis and they are doing just fine. I have mine in big pots cause I don't have room for huge plants but you can plant yours in shade in rich soil and they will grow bigger.

On 2006-09-24 22:42, hiltiki wrote:
QK, I have elephant palms in my backyard, I live in the San Fernando Valley and the weather gets pretty hot and dry in the summertime (well over 110 at times). I have them planted in a shady area and I water them on a regular basis and they are doing just fine. I have mine in big pots cause I don't have room for huge plants but you can plant yours in shade in rich soil and they will grow bigger.

Cool, thanks!!! I will get some and give it a try, they are cool looking

Amy

I really like your garden it looks fantastic.
I will post a few pics of our garden, but it isn't as nice as yours

Well this is our garden at the front of the house. I made this a few weeks ago, and next year I will be doing the garden at the back of the house that one is bigger

there is also a picture of my first carved tiki

The mailbox will be painted with a tiki on it and hibiscus flowers.
And next summer i will fill the garden with Hibiscus flowers and hopefully a palm tree.
only problem is that the climate is not so good here for such plants and trees

Your backyard is exactly what I eventually want to have, only I'd like to have a saltwater pool, and a bigger waterfall. In a decade or so maybe... :wink:

Congrats on a lovely space!

KK

DrSlingshot- your place looks great, and I too wondered about the bananas and everything making it through the winter.
Your cellar (YES, californians, we have CELLARS!...and ATTICS!) must be like ours in the winter; full of dormant plants.

[ Edited by: Kava King 2006-09-26 08:33 ]

thanks everyone for the compliments. I am sure dreaming of spring and the planting season...

Made some changes to the backyard , these pictures are from 09. Already getting things ready to get the plants back in the ground in a few more weeks! Have a few expansion ideas for this year.

looking good. We are still at low 30's here and one of the bannana's is starting up already. I'll take that as a good sign :) just need to make sure it won't freeze! Having to dig up so many plants must make your yard look like a mine field! I make do with the real picky plants in pots ( wal-mart has good prices on them ) and put them in the greenhouse during the winter. A rope light keeps them warm. I'm adding tarro this year so I hope they get to your size!

add on question, do you have some of the bannanas in pots or all inground? been trying to decide wether to plant mine and dig them up every year or just pot them.

[ Edited by: ka'lenatiki 2011-03-06 09:37 ]

Pages: 1 43 replies