Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island: Sunday Super Sale Sept. 24th! DETAILS PG 3!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

M

Aloha!

We’re proud to announce the first ever Forbidden Island Sunday Marketplace Extravaganza!

Um, maybe “Parking Lot Sale-A-Thon”!

Or “Forbidden Island Exotic Sunday Sale-a-bration!”

Or, hell, I don’t know.

But here’s what I do know: You don’t want to miss Forbidden Island on Sunday (Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!) September 24th from 3-7pm, as we close our parking lot off to bring you an exotic marketplace like no other!

We’ll feature vendors selling Tiki, Hawaiiana, Vintage Clothes, Vinyl, and much, much more. Featuring:

The Forbidden Island Lost Treasures Collection: Peer deep into the buried treasure of Forbidden Island, and take home something special for your hut! Including rare art and carvings from the islands and the TC Ohana: All the stuff we can’t use can be yours! Plus loads of bamboo to decorate your own little FI.

The Unloved Martiki Collection: Take home my crap! Please! Mugs, paper goods, lamps, carvings, and more! Hidden gems at low, low prices!

Drink Specials!

Surprises!

Rodeo Clowns!

Holy shit!

Just be there!

Forbidden Island
1304 Lincoln Ave (at Sherman)
Alameda, CA

Directions and more: http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

Interested in vending? Send me a PM or an email to [email protected] Send it ASAP! Space is limited.

[ Edited by: martiki 2006-08-06 19:43 ]

[ Edited by: martiki 2006-09-18 18:13 ]

M

you're not taking down your home bar are ya?

M

On 2006-08-05 20:33, Monkeyman wrote:
you're not taking down your home bar are ya?

hell no!

It's now "The Lab".

J

Oooh! I can't miss this! I'll most definitely make the 5-minute drive to FI for the sale. . . and the drink specials!

Wow sounds great Martin. If the vibe is anything close to Sunday at Forbidden Island on Day Four of the Tiki Crawl then this is going to be a don't-miss event. I can't wait!

PS: Martin, whatever you do, DO NOT let Mr. Smiley "help set up" stuff the day before.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-08-06 01:07 ]

i don't have anything to vend, but i'll be there with a wad of cash! :)

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-08-06 12:08 ]

Well I am hoping to get to a Wednesday get-together at Forbidden Island sometime soon, but a Sunday will be a little easier for me....Besides I could use some more ''stuff''
It will be nice to meet some of ''regulars'' also.

M

On 2006-08-06 11:09, kingstiedye wrote:
i don't have anything to vend, but i'll be there with a wad of cash! :)

That's the spirit!

A

Are you gonna bring out the big love and let us buy your Munktiki Fugu bowls??.......( They come in a wide variety of pretty colors damnit!)

S

argh, why didnt this happen during the crawl!!!
DRAT!
Have fun everyone!

On 2006-08-07 09:43, aquaorama wrote:
Are you gonna bring out the big love and let us buy your Munktiki Fugu bowls??.......( They come in a wide variety of pretty colors damnit!)

yeah, aquaorama was telling me about these. i hope i can pick one up.

S

Sounds fantabulous!!!!! I'll be there, with a booth for The Diva Pinup Exquisite Hair Flower Accessories!

I'm sure there is no chance you are selling the fugu mugs, Martiki, but if you happen to be (Birthday Girls can dream!!) I'd buy one in a quick second!

Suzanne

The Diva Pinup Exquisite Hair Flower Accessories - http://www.thedivapinup.com

[ Edited by: suzanne 2006-08-08 11:18 ]

T

Rodeo clowns?!?

J

Speaking of birthday girls and fugu mugs ... it's not too late to sacrifice the purple one to last week's birthday girl!

Come on Martiki, give it up!

Have you thought about a "Outpost Trader Booth"? Attendants can bring in their mugs / masks / tikis they might want to trade with others.

• Myke
M

Myke- I prefer to keep vending and trading seperate, to be fair to the vendors. Maybe we can have a future trading event- that would be cool.

And the deposit on our Fugus just went up to $100, you lunatics.

You know, http://www.munktiki.com would love to sell you a fugu. They have purple, too.

M

You're selling the Fugu bowls? Cool, I would like the "surf" green one. Put it on my tab.

El midnite

ps I am guessing it would be poor form to, at the Super Sale, sell my "collection" of Forbidden Island menus, napkins, swizzles, hurricane glasses, 2 barstools, and the secret Forbidden Island cocktail recipe? Just checking.

pps just keeding, I'm keeping one of the barstools.

C

This sounds like fun and a great way to get rid of all the art, carvings, mugs, furniture and other stuff I have. I will be there and will be hard culling my collection of stuff too cut some of my clutter, help pay off some bills, lighten my load and basically get rid of some things that have little meaning to me.

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

edited for possiblly misconstrued sarcasm.

[ Edited by: Chongolio 2006-08-08 15:25 ]

S

On 2006-08-08 11:30, martiki wrote:
...the deposit on our Fugus just went up to $100, you lunatics.

You know, http://www.munktiki.com would love to sell you a fugu. They have purple, too.

hahahahahahaha. Watch out! Don't get too sauced and forget to get your credit card back or you might be buying a $100 purple fugu!

Glad to know they are still available on Munktiki's website. I was under the impression they weren't for some reason. I'll have to get one soon!

Suzanne

The Diva Pinup Exquisite Hair Flower Accessories - http://www.thedivapinup.com

[ Edited by: suzanne 2006-08-08 16:59 ]

Ruh-roh. Unloved Martiki AND Chongolio?!? I might be in trouble.

I finally broke into the Storage Unit Of Doom and emerged relatively unscathed with a nice little assortment of alohawear. So I'll be dragging it down there for the day. Probably no hyper-expensive sarongs but lots of nifty shirts and dresses 50's-70's, with a couple of nice modern items in the mix too most likely--some guy's stuff too o' course. Prices MORE than reasonable! :D

M

some guy's stuff too o' course

Swell! Now, I am bit "hippy", so put anything thusly oriented aside for me to peruse. No, not Haight and "I need a miracle" hippy, hippie hippy. Child-bearing like. Makes it tough to find flattering slacks, but I have excellent balance.

Also, I appreciate the reasonable prices as I will only have so much disposable cash to burn, i.e. fugu bowl price went up. Still, no price is too steep for my Surf Green Fugu. Mine mine mine, I'm rich I'm rich! I'm independently well off.

Woo hoo!
midnite

J

Sorry, Midnite. I tried to hit Martiki up for the purple Fugu last night, and he's not even entertaining offers. You would think that the host of the event, would be willing to put 'em up in the spirit of the market, but nooooo. I was pretty much told to head out to Munktiki and get my own damn Fugu. :cry:

:wink:

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-08-10 10:17 ]

On 2006-08-08 13:52, midnite_tiki wrote:

ps I am guessing it would be poor form to, at the Super Sale, sell my "collection" of Forbidden Island menus, napkins, swizzles, hurricane glasses, 2 barstools, and the secret Forbidden Island cocktail recipe? Just checking.

No wonder I end up restocking my garnish station three times more often when you're in. I've got my eye on you now.....

p.s. are you also going to keep the custom embroidered Bartender Shirts, too?

U

Thanks Martiki, what a great idea. You should do this every Sunday. How about this weekend?

CL

On 2006-08-09 22:23, tikivixen wrote:

Ruh-roh. Unloved Martiki AND Chongolio?!? I might be in trouble.

I finally broke into the Storage Unit Of Doom and emerged relatively unscathed with a nice little assortment of alohawear. So I'll be dragging it down there for the day. Probably no hyper-expensive sarongs but lots of nifty shirts and dresses 50's-70's, with a couple of nice modern items in the mix too most likely--some guy's stuff too o' course. Prices MORE than reasonable! :D

TV, I'm looking for early 60's halter dresses. It would be swell to find them in your menage. Whoo hoo!

Coco

CL

On 2006-08-08 11:30, martiki wrote:
Myke- I prefer to keep vending and trading seperate, to be fair to the vendors. Maybe we can have a future trading event- that would be cool.

And the deposit on our Fugus just went up to $100, you lunatics.

I think we all know who has been the most persistant...from day one in his quest for the elusive FI Fugu mug...starting with stopping by to check on the progress of the bar pre-opening...offering assistance in construction pre-opening, working the bar opening weekend and manning the door whenever requested...back rubs from the wahine...helping our loving friend Martiki in his time of need...yes, the mighty MAI TAI.

P.S. Same applies to HL and Humu. Yes, MAI TAI, Hanford, and Humu have first dibs. Oh and Tofu Joe too...oh and hell, Jab too I suppose... :D

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-11 07:39 ]

M

No wonder I end up restocking my garnish station three times more often when you're in. I've got my eye on you now.....

p.s. are you also going to keep the custom embroidered Bartender Shirts, too?

Well, it is far to Alameda. Considering the distance involved I like to stock up on some provisions for the return trek. You'd be surprised what a nice salad I can whip together from the assorted mint leaves, orange slices, etc... Makes for a refreshing treat on BART, or the "O"!

The embroidered Bartender shirts went to some deep pockets in Japan. However, I do have some nice Tropical Barkcloth twist dresses that I think would probably fit you. Yeah, almost certainly.

five fingers midnite

ps I am working on obtaining an authentic "Forbidden Island" wooden sign, slight damage.

Crap, we'll be at a friend's wedding and won't be able to make it :(

Shoot I thought it was this weekend and showed up a month early! Although, any Sunday at FI is not a wasted trip...

i will be out of town unfortunately for the actual event.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2006-08-28 14:17 ]

N

Tiki Magazine will be making a rare NorCal vending appearance. I'm going to San Jose with my wife and two children to visit her sister and her friends (my wife is a Santa Clara alum). The trade off is I get to mix in a little Tiki. All good marriages are about give and take aren't they? We'll be selling Tiki Magazines, T-shirts, and the recently sold out Tiki Magazine mugs. Looking forward to seeing everyone at FI.

Nicktiki

J

Yay!! I can finally get my hands on a Tiki Magazine mug without paying through my nostrils on evilBay!

FINALLY!!! A local show that we don't have to drive 1000's of miles to get to!
So, it's finally offical.... Dr.TikiMojo's TIKI HUNTER will be a vendor at the event!
Oh, we do LOVE Forbidden Island!
In our ever expanding collection of fun things for your home, Tiki Bar, garden, whatever, we will have a variety of Tiki - Small Bar Top Guardians to 3 footer's and maybe even a very cool new carver with some 6 FOOT WAY COOL TIKI from SoCal, (I jus gots to drive the Tiki Cruiser another 1400 miles round trip first to pick da suckers up!).
We carry Hawaiian style shirts and some REAL HAWAIIAN Vintage shirts, fish floats, masks, Tiki necklaces in a variety of styles, some one of a kind metal sculpture Tiki wall sconce and representing several artists including
Jimmy Gonzalez of Fins and Flames
and
GECKO of South Sea Arts of Hawaii.:)
To name just a few for now....hopefully, we will provide you with many happy surprises....we do have some big ticket items and will be set up to take credit cards with our wireless POS system!
So shop like a bunch of Rum Crazy Apes!!

If there will be a representative of Munktiki at this event, they should bring some Fugu mugs (regular style) for sell. I bought a couple of the green ones about a year ago, and get comments all the time at my parties. Since there seems to be a "watchful eye" on the wonderfully colored ones at FI, I bet there would be a killing at the sale! I'd even like to see the other colors available, too!

Sounds like a really cool event in the making, Martiki! Can't wait!

• Myke

On 2006-08-27 08:56, tikiwinebear wrote:
a representative of Munktiki at this event, they should bring some Fugu mugs (regular style) for sell.

• Myke

Well, Myke you asked and Dr.TikiMojo listens. I contacted the good folks at Munktiki to see what I could do to keep the drunken villagers from walking off with all the Forbidden Island Fugu's and unfortunately they are out and will be for a couple of months!:-(
The inside word is that there will be a change to the Fugu's sold on the site to make them look just like the ones used at Forbidden Island!:-)

Any other requests?
We leave for SoCal next week to load up on Tiki's and art.

Very good news if it comes to fruition, Thanks Dr. TikiMojo!!

:D

On 2006-08-30 14:23, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:

On 2006-08-27 08:56, tikiwinebear wrote:
a representative of Munktiki at this event, they should bring some Fugu mugs (regular style) for sell.

• Myke

Well, Myke you asked and Dr.TikiMojo listens. I contacted the good folks at Munktiki to see what I could do to keep the drunken villagers from walking off with all the Forbidden Island Fugu's and unfortunately they are out and will be for a couple of months!:-(
The inside word is that there will be a change to the Fugu's sold on the site to make them look just like the ones used at Forbidden Island!:-)

Any other requests?
We leave for SoCal next week to load up on Tiki's and art.

el bumpo

M

Just to clear up any confusion, there will be NO FUGU MUGS FOR SALE at this event.

However, the list of vendors is spectacular- I will post an update soon, so stay tuned. Plus, the rodeo clowns.

It's gonna be a hell of a day!

I was so excited about this event that I showed up a whole MONTH early!!

but alas, I will be out of town in Hawaii that weekend...

MT

On 2006-09-13 23:27, martiki wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion, there will be NO FUGU MUGS FOR SALE at this event.

My heart is broken! Broken I say!!!

IN.
OH BOY Rodeo clowns!

M

Here you go!!!

Aloha!

Heads up! Just a reminder that the Spectacular Sunday Super Sale is THIS SUNDAY, September 24th from 3 to 7pm. We will host vendors from around California showcasing a fantastic array of collectible & vintage tiki, Hawaiiana, rockabilly, and mid-century modern goods. The sale will feature original art, collectable mugs and décor, vintage aloha & rockabilly clothes, vinyl, furniture, and much more. We’ll also be offering drink specials and a few surprises. Take a look at our incredible line-up of vendors:

Retro Diva (www.retrodiva.com) & Icon Vintage Clothing– Four BIG racks of beautiful vintage clothing for men and women from Melissa and Beckie!

The Art of Chongolio (www.lost-isle.com) – Santa Cruz’s own Chongolio will bring a huge selection of his famous art, carvings, and much more for your purchasing pleasure.

Ebay dealer supreme Tiki Vixen aka Lisa with a great collection of vintage tiki wear!

The Forbidden Island Lost Treasures Collection: Peer deep into the buried treasure of Forbidden Island, and take home something special for your hut! Including rare art and carvings from the islands and beyond: All the stuff we can’t use can be yours! Plus loads of bamboo to decorate your own little FI.

The Martiki Collection: Take home my crap! Please! Mugs, paper goods, lamps, carvings, and more! Hidden gems at low, low prices! I’m bringing FORTY VINTAGE MUGS to sell.

The Mighty Vic, AKA The Jungle Trader (www.tikijungle.com) with his original carvings, mugs and other treasures from the heart of California.

Otto Von Stroheim of Tiki News (www.tikinews.com) will be on hand to sell and sign copies of the new Tiki Art III catalog!

Suzanne, The Diva Pinup with her gorgeous hair flower accessories! (www.thedivapinup.com)

Dr. TikiMojo’s TIKI HUNTER – tiki accessories for your home, garden and more, including carvings, floats, masks, necklaces, clothes, GECKO, and some big ticket surprises!

Nick from Tiki Magazine will be on hand to sell issues, subscriptions, t-shirts, and the rare SOLD-OUT Tiki Magazine Mug from Tiki Farm! (www.tikimag.net)

The amazing Ian and Laura from Fuzzy Dude (www.fuzzydude.com) with all their groovy merchandise including jewelry, patches, trinkets, and so much more. Just you wait!

Devil Deluxe Clothing Co., with hot rod t-shirts, mugs, SHAG, purses, vintage goodies and more!

Holy Moley! Bring lots of $$$ for this one, folks- Most vendors will be cash only.
Fortunately, we have an ATM on site!

Combine all that with our famous Sunday Drink & Food specials, and you’ve got a great day on the Isle of Alameda.

See you there!

Mahalo,

Martin

Forbidden Island
1304 Lincoln Ave
Alameda, CA 94501
Direction and more: http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

M

Oh, and as for our BIG surprise...

Well, here's a REALLY BIG HINT:

holy crap!!!

A

Did you already mention - can minors go, being the parking lot and all? We're talking very very minor, I mean like a MAJOR minor.

-Randy

M

Alas, still no dice. The lot is private property and considered part of the biz. Sorry, big man.

CL

Martiki, that looks like our back yard?! You shouldn't have! What a generous birthday gift for Mai Tai. :wink: JUST Kidding. Wow that looks awesome!! Seriously though, it does look like our backyard.

I've seen that before, at a Rockabilly show I think, and it was built by someone in Fremont? Vague hazy alcohol impaired recollection. Very NICE.

On 2006-09-18 18:17, martiki wrote:
Oh, and as for our BIG surprise...

Well, here's a REALLY BIG HINT:

holy crap!!!

S

I can't wait for this! I'll be there with hair flowers for all, and I'll be verrrrry thirsty too!

Suzanne

S

That big ol Tiki was at Viva Las Vegas at the Car show on top
of the garage at the Gold Coast!!!
Coooool

We can't wait!

Besides Forbidden Island being the coolest Tiki Bar around this sale sounds AMAZING! :)
I hope that I don't spend more than I earn!
Mrs. Mojo will feed me to the cannibals! :(

And what's up with that freakin' MONSTER TIKI?!!! HOLY CRAP!!

Must remember the camera for this event!

Dr.TikiMojo

Pages: 1 2 81 replies