Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Napa Valley Tiki Party with King Kukulele, Tiki Diablo & Maikai Gents-Aug. 27

Pages: 1 14 replies

Just got word from Iuka Grogg:

Aloha Friends! Please join us for a wonderful island-style evening as part of The White Barn Film Festival (a Napa Valley institution), there will be a special tiki night on Sunday, August 27. King Kukulele will be the Master of Ceremonies while Tiki Diablo gives a live tiki carving demo (he'll also have his wares for sale) and the Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa will be the featured musical entertainment. Once the sun sets, there will be an outdoor screening of the 1953 classic eight-time-Oscar-winning film "From Here To Eternity" which is set in Honolulu. Bring along a picnic (or enjoy the Tropical Snack Bar) a lawn chair and a sweater (for the cool wine country evening). The doors open at 5:00PM with the music starting at 6:00PM. Admisssion is $10 per person and kids under 12 get in for $5. Tickets are available at the door only. The White Barn is located at 2727 Sulphur Springs Avenue is St. Helena, CA 94574. Follow the signs from Highway 29. Hope to see you there!

WOW! Sounds like another great event in the OTHER wine producing valley over them hills!! My calendar is marked! Great that this one is on a Sunday... should be fun! Has anyone perfected the "wine mai tai" yet? Mahalo for the heads up, weirdunc! MGFTMMML and King Kukulele in one event!

• Myke

Well my secret is out! I love films and I have never seen "From Here To Eternity"! This has been the "Summer of Tikis Go Film" with July 23rd at the Egyptian with Enchanted Island and Blue Hawaii and then to the Mission Tiki Drive-In on August 5th with Cobra Woman, Hard Ticket To Hawaii and Bugs, and now to Napa Valley for the White Barn Film Festival!!! I'm in heaven.

It's been too long since the Mai Kai Gents and I shared the stage and when the opportunity presents itself I don't say no. I hope we get some surprise visits from Local TC, the show is going to be great! I can't wait...neither can Princess Pupule. I love being in Napa and mixing a little Romance and Wine with my Tiki, a rare treat. And to top it all off, appearing on stage with Iuka Grogg the Fred Astaire of the Tiki World and Tiki Diablo who is on fire...pardon the pun. Well, I'll see you guys there, its gonna be great.

I am sharpening the 'ole chisels and pitch fork! I am ready for this great weekend.

We are sooooo there!!! Will be great to see King K in this neck of the woods, and finally see Tiki Diablo in action! Probably won't be staying for the film, just the music, the King's jokes, and watch the wood chips fly! :)

Any other locals planning on attending?

• Myke

I'm going to try to make it~

A couple of fun developments:

I've just received word that there will be a very special tropical beverage available at the show. "Iuka's Grogg" will be flowing. It's the original drink that Beachbum Berry created especially for The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa (recipe is in the liner notes of the CD). So come on out and have a blast (or two or three!)!

Also, the nationally syndicated show, "In Wine Country" will be there to document the happenings. Be sure to wear your sharpest aloha attire to look dazzling on TV.

Can't wait to see you there!

-Weird Unc

I'm still trying to get the hang of this "posting" thing with a rum drink in both hands!
Mai Kai Gents? Sunday? Tomorrow? Howsit dat weirduncletiki is Ohana and I never hear bout these tings until it's too late? :(
Well, better late than never! We'll try to be there!
Who ya gonna git to carry yer gear for ya? :)

I finally made it out to a Napa event and had a blast! What a great crowd and great venue

On 2006-08-24 10:45, weirduncletiki wrote:
...there will be a very special tropical beverage available at the show. "Iuka's Grogg" will be flowing.... So come on out and have a blast (or two or three!)!

Or four... teen! Uhhummm.

Oh yash dat Ukka Grogg is yumm shtuff!

Uh, an an den Da King wash dere too! Ooooo. Good Uku play an shinging man! Good man!!

Mai Kai gentsmen and pretty gurl swoop in and shing too, good oh so!~

Oooo butt I shleep'd when flim show'd pretty man an whoa-man kishing in splashy water... nope, mish iht... Uh Uh... Zzzzzz

Here are a couple of pics from the event!
Did I forget to mention that it was a BLAST!
I even got my first Tiki carving lesson from the incredible talents of
Danny G. .....Mr. Tiki Diablo himself!
OK, so I'm a fan! :)

Mahalo to the Dangergirl299, Tikiwinebear, Dr. Tiki Mojo and Sandy Trunks(!?!?) gangs for making a strong TC showing at this gala! The Gents and TMMML along with Tiki Diablo and King Kukulele had a wonderful time! KK almost caused a riot amongst the unitiated Napa Valley folk! It was so refreshing to see him do his act in front of a crowd that had no idea what was hitting 'em. What a hoot! Much aloha, much aloha

-Weird Unc

P
pablus posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 7:07 PM

Nice shots Dr. T.
Looks like a great time as I'm sure it was.

I'm wondering if King Kukulele and Iuka Grogg ended up in a fist fight like the last time they played together.
Bloody mess that was.
Wait, maybe I just had a wine-fueled dream like that.

Don't kid yourself, though.
Tiki is violence.
The ukulele is an instrument of war.

Oh wow, I dig that photo of Tiki Carving in another dimension! Trippy Phtoshopy! Cool! Or as that a camera that actualy photgraphed what the drunken photographer saw? Hmmm.... Impressive!

VIdeo from the show is now up on YouTube. See King Kukulele, Tik Diablo and The Gents doing their things (so to speak). Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qwIaaiO4bc

-Weird Unc

Pages: 1 14 replies