Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Aloha search

Pages: 1 6 replies

S

Hello to all at tiki central,

This is truly a great forum, one of the best i have ever come across for response and information alike. This is truly a mecca

I have come to your forum for a bit of expertise on repro aloha Shirts.
Particularly the Japanese style prints that are about, well.. almost indemic these days.

I know that the "get lost and look on Ebay" responses are at the ready here but if any of your good selves may take the time to post a response if you know of anyone that i should be talking to, whether there is someone on the web who recieves "grand poohbah" status it would be greatly appreciated.
a year and a half on Ebay suggests it may not be terribly common.

There is a fellow here in London who owns one which is in a realtively modern Japanese style which, frankly, for me, was like staring into the sun.
I still cant get the taste out of my mouth ( Tequila sunrise is definitely NOT the solution here)

to describe it.

Its a plain mid green background with a large repetative print of a Samurai warrior fighting a Giant skeleton amongst the clouds.

I believe it is a reference to Kuniyoshi's 1845 work "the skeleton spectre"

http://www.japaneseprints.net/viewitem.cfm?ID=725

Has Anyone EVER, EVER seen anything like this in their travels.
I have contacted some of the stores in Hawaii and it seems that it might be an out of print repro Avanti ( MIGHT be ). but i have never been close to finding this grail of an object. and it seems that this guy who owns it is the only person who has.

I realise however,that this item is not truly in the vein of the items this forum neither likely to be authentically vintage and definitely of questionable taste.

It would be great if any of you know someone or are someone with some knowledge of the best way to find this item or even some suggestions on what it may be or where it may be found i would be most grateful for any time you might afford this thread.

Regards to all and many thanks

JJ

Why don't you ask the other guy where he got it? Or ask him to look at the label?

If you knew the manufacturer or store brand, it might be easier to track down.

D

jj,
i agree with ookoo ~ a snapshot of the shirt itself, AND the tag would be the best way to help you identify the shirt as old or new..

there are several Aloha Shirt books, perhaps you can borrow them from the library and see if your shirt is in there..

if you have more info, i'd recommend giving Seattle-based aloha-shirt enthusiast Dan E. a call or email.. (i'll send you his email privately..) Danny is also your "go to guy" about Tyree velvets and big shoes (dont ask...)

S
scully posted on Mon, Aug 7, 2006 2:14 PM

Thanks heaps for your posts,

I have seen this hombre a couple of times around the camden markets.
its been ages since i was around there but shall be sure to grab him and quiz him on his shirt.
I can understand that fishing for such an item becomes inreasingly difficult with so little to go on. your suggestions are excellent.
keep 'em coming.

JJ

Also check fabric stores, if you can find the fabric you can have a tailor make you a shirt from it (I don't know about London, but here in San Diego there are a number of tailors & seamsresses who specialize in Alohawear).

I do have several Aloha Shirts with Samurai-themed images, none featuring a skeleton spectre unfortunately.

T

And if you DO get one made, post a pic of it up here! May not be tiki, but when I hit that link it was like a slap in the face (you know, one of them GOOD slaps). Incredible painting!

You may want to contact (thehanashirtco) as well. He is a great person and very helpful.

Pages: 1 6 replies