Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can you help me identify these?

Pages: 1 9 replies

F

These were given to me by one of my wife's friend's husbands (I know, I know). He says that they all came from Tahiti a long time ago but I'm not so sure. The mask says it was made in Indonesia, the others are unlabled.

I'd like to put them in the Leeward Lounge, but not if they're African or just some weird stuff that a hippie made.

Any ideas?

H

Those danged dirty hippies! It all looks pretty consistent with on-the-cheap Indonesian stuff to me, but someone with sharper eyes may be able to say something more definitive. But those wacky beatnik bongos are pretty darned cool!

The second pix definitely look a bit on the Jamaican tip, in my opinion..Dont really know on the bongo drum..

T

Holy cats!

This looks African. But I think Humuhumu hit the nail on the Indonesian head.

One thing is for sure, they are NOT from Tahiti. Maybe he meant Haiti? Tahitian Tiki items are usually Marquesan style, since that is where all the carvers came from.

The bongo drums could pass as some "further flotsam from the Seven Seas" exotic addition to an otherwise wellstacked Tiki Lounge.

On 2006-08-07 14:44, Humuhumu wrote:
Those danged dirty hippies! It all looks pretty consistent with on-the-cheap Indonesian stuff to me, but someone with sharper eyes may be able to say something more definitive. But those wacky beatnik bongos are pretty darned cool!

laughs.....dang them!....:lol:

The man and woman statue definitely look Jamaican, which means the drums could be too, the drums look disco voo-doo and still might be fun for your tiki lounge.

The carved bearded figure and his mate are Jamaican...i have a friend who goes to all the garage
sales and flea markets around here and brings me everything that he thinks is tiki-ish...and
i take all of it just in case he eventually stumbles onto something great. He has picked up two
sets of these figures...virtually identical...and one of them had "jamaica" scrawled on the back.
I was thinking of making a chess set if he keeps finding them...but I don't play chess.

On 2006-08-24 20:38, congatiki wrote:
The carved bearded figure and his mate are Jamaican...i have a friend who goes to all the garage
sales and flea markets around here and brings me everything that he thinks is tiki-ish...and
i take all of it just in case he eventually stumbles onto something great. He has picked up two
sets of these figures...virtually identical...and one of them had "jamaica" scrawled on the back.
I was thinking of making a chess set if he keeps finding them...but I don't play chess.

You should just have them watch over the rum collection :)

Chris

Just a thought..

You have the talent to re-sculpt them- sand 'em out, add some new lines and tikify them... Those 2 look like they could fairly easily become moai- the woman a moai balancing rocks on head.

My great aunt laid a few similar pieces on me- really nice mahogany but not tiki.. Yet. :wink:

Pages: 1 9 replies