Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Newbie Collector Invasion?

Pages: 1 25 replies

Is it just me, or does it seem as if there has been a surge of newbie collectors buying up Tiki on Ebay?

It seems that there has recently been (in the past year or so) a lot of Ebayers with relatively low feedback counts, ponying up big bucks to buy even common mugs. For example, I purchsed two Hawaii Kai Moai mugs on Ebay about 2 years ago for $10.00 each. This auction for the same mug is over $60.00.

We all know that Tiki has grown considerablly in popularity over the past 5+ years, but this recent surge seems to be particularly acute. It seems like price pressures on even routine stuff.

They'll pay big bucks now, get tired of them in a year or so, and donate them to the thrift stores for us to find.

I'll be waiting!

I know what you mean, the last Original Suffering Bastard Mug went for $216.00. It's almost tempting for me to put up some of my duplicate mugs and bowls right now. If these idiots are paying that much money for the more "common" mugs, not to mention those stupid Dollar Tree Tikis, they'll pay insane money for good vintage items. Guess it's kinda like selling a stock when it's hot.

On 2006-08-08 22:17, Tikiwahine wrote:
They'll pay big bucks now, get tired of them in a year or so, and donate them to the thrift stores for us to find.

waaaaaahhhhhhh00000000000!!!!!! time to post more mugs and tiki stuff on ebay !!!! ...these newbies are gonna help fund my retirement plan........

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 3:04 PM

I find it frustrating as a new collector (of mugs - I've been collecting Polynesain ephemera and art for several years), from a place where tiki mugs don't even exist. I'm sure a few were brought back to New Zealand over the years, but they never seem to show up. The suffering bastard is probably my absolute favourite design of all the classic mugs, and I've been watching those auctions with despair. With the prices they go for (plus air + packing to NZ, usually another $20 or more), I think I'll just keep spending my tiki budget on carvings and souvenir pieces from the islands (which are fairly plentiful here). At least there's a shop in NZ selling munktiki now!

Hey Paipo.... Pm me if your interested in swoppin some mugs for Maori carvings,etc.

hey paipo, i have a lot of traders, and like freddie i'm interested in maori art. i'm also interested in your stone pendants. check out my traders here: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=120&rep=yes&tag=for%20trade&show=80

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-08-09 19:32 ]

cool, I like where this thread is going!

HC

Ah ! the power of a good swap ! I've always been SO much happier when that middle stuff (money!) is eliminated from the exchange (even thou I've been selling "stuff" for over thirty years ......something about the spirit of Tiki or at least Aloha is kindled......

On 2006-08-08 22:25, vegastikidude wrote:
If these idiots are paying that much money for the more "common" mugs, not to mention those stupid Dollar Tree Tikis, they'll pay insane money for good vintage items. Guess it's kinda like selling a stock when it's hot.

reply:
This evening this item closed there was 2 avail.
Vintage Waikiki Washington DC Tiki mugs exc cond
Item number: 220013519944
Here are some of the "newbies" and/or so called idiots that bid
User ID Bid amount Quantity wanted Quantity winning Date of bid

alllblowedup( 48) US $255.99 1 1 Aug-09-06 19:00:12 PDT
edgeoftexas1( 1002) US $255.99** 2 1 Aug-09-06 19:00:11 PDT
bullettiki( 16) US $210.27 1 0 Aug-09-06 18:59:41 PDT
boutiki( 428) US $207.77 2 0 Aug-09-06 18:57:24 PDT
misbas( 101) US $90.00 1 0 Aug-03-06 10:24:05 PDT
browncratebooks( 428) US $66.50 1 0 Aug-09-06 18:57:20 PDT
glazerunner( 103) US $65.00 1 0 Aug-09-06 18:12:03 PDT
najalo35( 55) US $45.00 2 0 Aug-02-06 19:22:16 PDT
cpt.midnite( 802 )

I was shut out the last few sec. or I would have been right there as well. The point I am making (in case you haven't caught on yet) I am in the same auctions everyday with the same 2-3 handfuls of bidders. Fact is, higher or vintage priced items are rarely ever bid on by newbies. Some of the bidders above have yellow eBay (entry level) stars. Do you really think they are newbies or maybe just new i.d's.? or just might not use eBay as often? I myself have collected mugs for at least 25 years. yet I have a yellow star. fact, most of the people on this list are the most knowledgeable people in the fields of tiki, mugs, Hawaiiana, ect. I don't believe for one second that newbies drive the prices up on eBay. pop cult does along with many other reasons. I sold some art many years ago to a very successful art dealer who at that time was sitting on some Salvador Dali's because they were not worth what he paid for them. He gave me some everlasting advice, " Buy It Because You Like It."
Everything is worth what it is worth, no more no less. As far as newbies dumping out of mugs in a few years? that probbibly will happen but, I doubt you will see them in thrift stores for 25 cents. eBay, yes but not for a buck. It might be interesting to you to visit this post already in progress,
Collecting Tiki » » Garage Sales, Thrift Stores, Antique Malls. THEY NOW KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-08-10 18:35 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-08-10 09:57 ]

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 11, 2006 3:38 AM

Thanks for the offers, I'll be up for some trading when I've got a little more work to play with. I'm also interested in Coco Joe's and HIP stuff.

T

I'm a Tiki "newbie" but I'm not a "dumb newbie" those that want to pony up big $$$$ for "investment" purposes, forget it IMHO.

All it takes is two that want really, really something on eBay and the price can zoom up.

I, too, am a "tiki newbie" as were all of you at one time. Where is the "aloha spirit" in accepting that there is a learning curve to collecting (anything)? Is tiki collecting an exclusive club for only longterm experienced collectors? I guess I'm one of the "idiot" ones, but it is a passion that fills me with such exuberant joy and happiness, much more than many other interests I've had over the years.

Tiki collecting and immersing oneself in tiki culture is an addiction that has a quick onset and a very swift downward (upward?) spiral into helpless addiction, as I'm sure many of you have discovered. We are all in this together! : )

I think the increased bidding on eBay is just an indicator that the tiki craze is making a long-overdue comeback into the collective conscience, as evidenced by its resurgence in popularity in even mainstream retail (i.e. Tiki stuff at TARGET!!). I am hoping this translates into fewer tiki bars and restaurants being torn down and more being built (we need at LEAST one in Vermont!).

Tikicat67 =^..^=

well said, tikicat, and welcome aboard!

Yep, I agree Tikicat. Well said.

I will add that the average time for someone to hold onto and "antique" is Five years. If it doesn't become an Heirloom, it returns to the open market. That was some advice I received from an old Professor years ago. I tend to think its true.

As for changing user names on ebay, I refer to that technique as "going under cover." Covert actions are required when you might have someone on your tail.

Just my Opinion.

Swamp

Thanks, Kingstiedye and Swamp Tiki.

=^..^=

On 2006-08-09 15:04, Paipo wrote:
The suffering bastard is probably my absolute favourite design of all the classic mugs, and I've been watching those auctions with despair. With the prices they go for (plus air + packing to NZ, usually another $20 or more), I think I'll just keep spending my tiki budget on carvings and souvenir pieces from the islands (which are fairly plentiful here).

Tiki Farm's reproduction of the suffering bastard is faithful and a hell of a lot cheaper than the original. I think the mugs may now be sold out, but a decanter is just $14.95. Living in the UK, I feel your pain regarding postage charges, but usually ask anyone sending stuff from the US to send it surface letter rate. This 'letter' can be a package 12"x12"x12" and costs usually costs $6-10. Takes a while, but I've yet to lose a package that way.

Trader Woody

J

I have a bunch of nostalgia-based interests and often can find an internet community where it they are celebrated. Classic Mustangs, vintage hi fi, vinyl records, etc.

Each one including Tiki Central has the same two contradictory themes:

1. Why did it [insert subject here] die out? What happened? Why is it not popular anymore? How do we keep it alive? Can we resurrect it? Would people like it again? Nobody appreciates the collectibles! SPREAD THE WORD BEFORE IT DIES OUT!!!!!

Versus

1. Where did all these new [insert subject again] fans come from? How did it happen? Why is it so damn popular now? How do we keep it a secret? Can we squelch this resurgence? Will it hopefully fade to cult status again? Everybody is buying up the collectibles! STOP TALKING ABOUT IT BEFORE IT BECOMES TOO POPULAR!!!!!!

Freshman year of college redux.

[ Edited by: JackLord 2006-09-01 12:58 ]

ST

This retro craze is really taking hold. I can see why though, its really alot of fun. My personal barometer is the number of high end interiors I have been designing lately. Five years ago nobody (and I mean nobody) was ripping out their existing interiors to make way for Eames tables and chairs, atomic light fixtures, wall clocks, and tiki gods. It really is kind of wierd. Not the style, but the fact that the straight laced hipster wanna-be's with the corner office and deep pockets are wanting their freedom again and are acting out by "getting wild." They are willing to spend their dough and prices just rise to the occasion. Hell, I'm not complaining, they are creating a new market. There is a girl on ooga mooga that is reaping profits from it, look at the prices she is putting on here mugs.

Look, as I sit here and look out at the horizon and see middle age fast approaching and then turn and look in the mirror I can honestly say that I have remained fairly constant over the years (I can't beleive that the old chin beard is starting to turn gray). I've been here all along and am just sitting back and watching the pendelum swing back in this direction. The bottom line is that I think it is great. It brings new revenue to guys that work hard to perfect their art, and paves the way for another adventure in this thing we call life. It tends to keep people in touch with where they have been and perhaps where they are going. I'll encourage this wild retro phase and all of its interests, have fun with it, and hopefully gain a little from it on the side. Heck, a few more of these design jobs and I'll be ready to redesign my place...perhaps I'll go with wigwam modern.

( I don't know what causes these rants???...)

Keep the Rum flowing..

Swamp

Z

I guess I'd fall into this category as I've only been collecting for about a year and a half. Up here in northwestern Canada there are no tiki retailers to be found and our thrift shops aren't exactly brimming with tiki mugs (of the 110 listed in my OM collection, only 2 have come from thrift shops) so Ebay is just about the only way to find anything remotely vintage.

I tend to be somewhat patient and usually buy my mugs for less than the average going rates as I've noticed that a high price for one mug often leads to a glut of them over the next several weeks and the prices diminish. That being said, I'm fortunate to have deep enough pockets that I can afford to overspend on a mug if it's one that I really want for my collection.

Does that make me an "idiot"?

[i]That being said, I'm fortunate to have deep enough pockets that I can afford to overspend on a mug if it's one that I really want for my collection.

Does that make me an "idiot"?

NO!!

..i just want to say, that any and all newbies are more than welcome to throw piles of money at any of my auctions, anytime they like......if you feel a certain item is worth it, then i, for one, encourage you spend as much as you see fit in order to see that item gracing the shelves of your tiki room......do not be discouraged by other bidders!! just keep bidding higher and that item is gonna be in your sweaty little hands before you know it!!!... thank you.

my hands aren't sweaty! :)

Thats because all that green paper absorbs the moisture!! LOL ..Luv ya King. FreddieB

Pages: 1 25 replies