Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forbidden Island in today's San Francisco Chronicle!

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

Congratuations to the Forbidden Island crew! They got a great writeup about the drinks (this one doesn't mention the atmosphere as it's focused on summer drinks).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/10/WIGB2KB6HI1.DTL

Looking at the drink pictures is making me thirsty! And we get recipes so we can make them at home! (not that it will stop me from coming in)

I want that swanky pad with a swimming pool in the livingroom!

CL

Whoohoo. ZAZZ. I wonder if this has anything to do with that Chronicle reporter that showed up a month or so ago?...or was it the Tribune> Can't remember. Way to go FI!

p.s. Jabbo, if you ever decide to remodel your pad and install a pool, Mai Tai and I will be over with the rum within seconds. :D

M

Thanks for the mention Jabbo!

They took such good pictures of the drinks:

Already we're getting a lot of visitors- even had a guy in who worked at the Mai Kai in the 70s in tonight, and whose uncle worked at DtBs in Hollywood!

Also just got a call from a guy whose father was a maitre'd at the Lanai in the 60s. He told me he asked his father for 30 years for the recipe for the Sidewinder's Fang, and he would never give it to him- said it was top secret. Well, his head exploded when he saw it in the paper today.

Rest assured I will continue to press these guys on future visits for more info, and will of course post here with the relevant findings.

On 2006-08-10 20:32, martiki wrote:

They look gorgeous!

A photographer for the Los Angeles Times once told me that their top photogs work for the Food section. Getting food to look good on film is not easy!

The pics are great adn the drink recipies are a welcome additions. I'm going to try those this evening!

On 2006-08-10 20:32, martiki wrote:

I absolutely LOVE good photos of drinks like that! I think I'll blow them up and line the walls with them.

Congrats on the write-up. I have to get back over to the west coast for a visit and I know where I'm going first!

M

Yeah, it's o-kay, I suppose. More like he's a professional, and I'm...not! Those are some fine shots.

However, my "point and pray" style of gonzo photogging does elicit a certain rawness absent from the newsman's pics. Sure, his look absolutely incredible, but do they possess my photos' substance and love of the drink? What I lack, and it's a lot, in photgraphic ability, I compensate for in pure base emotion. Cocktail verite, if you will.

Kudos on the press, El Martiki. I saw the little photo on SFGate's home page and thought, "FI?". Not until The Jab's post here did I investigate the story. Great press, way to go. Maybe I will come and visit Forbidden Island now.

cpt. "the lens cap is on?" midnite

ps drunk on rum in college? No way, Bartles and Jaymes!

M

zazz!

Hey, what's that guy doing in my living room?!?!?!?!
Congratulations Martin.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 8 replies