Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Rescued Home Tiki Bar!

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

Hey, everyone. Finally getting around to fixing & finishing my home bar.
A little back-story; while heading down the main drag in my neighborhood, I noticed this big wooden box sitting in the parking lot of a post office. Turned out to be an abandoned home tiki-bar! (How it got in it's location I can't even fathom)
Anyway, I waited it out for a week, in case some postie was planning to get it home, but it just sat, getting rained on, collecting dirt, etc., so I decided to rescue it from further deterioration, got hold of a car, loaded it up 1/2-way into the trunk and a few blocks later set it in the kitchen of my apartment.
No pix of it in it's original state; moldy grass-matted front panel, rusted out screws and spiderwebs holding it together etc, but after stripping it, replacing the moldy mats with leopard-print fabric (suede, gotten at half-off price, and definitely not the pattern I wanted - l-print fabric[or anything] is scarce around here) and covering the top with leopard-print paper glued down and slathered 5 times with poly-coat (not the best thing to do, but I was all out of ideas), it comes out to this; (note beautiful post-it-note yellow of kitchen walls)

and with the end-flap up (wood-block carving made by my dad around 30 years ago)

Still have to add the bamboo canopy, something to cover the bottom footrest, and all the little lights & deco... and I've kept the l-print suede up 'loose' in case I score some better material (got the idea from the crazy home-bar in The Book of Tiki)...
More pics hopefully tomorrow night!

Nice work. You can't let your dignity get in the way of saving tiki. (That's how I was almost killed dumpster diving behind the Hawaiian Village) Good on ya.

T

Gee, wish somebody in my area would throw out their old Tiki bar!!!!

T

Small progress... (stupid working-for-a-living getting in my way...)

Hey pappy, any elaboration on the near-dumpster-death? Sounds intriguing...

Oh, I have read the Un-tiki Thread, so no plastic McTiki stuff here (like I would have anyway)!
(Yes, I know I must upgrade some of the booze selections...)
Now if I could just find some 6'x10' bamboo matting in an alley somewhere to cover that hideous yellow...

More work ahead!

Pages: 1 3 replies