Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Member, with carvings. UPDATE 9-17-06 Number 8

Pages: 1 22 replies

Hey all,
just moved down to sunny FL, Melbourne area, and began plucking logs off the side of the street and try my hand at carving. So fay, I've done six, and feel I've a lot to learn. This site is an inspiration to me to keep carving. There are so many talented folks out there. Well, any ways, here' som of my werk:

#1 and #2.. lots to learn, unsanded or finished

#3 gave to my sister for her B-day, came out OK

#4 Took a really long time. I like him. That's mold under the laquer. LOL

#5 Now, he's sanded, but drying and has eyes. He came out good. He's waiting for stain and laquer

#6 Hastily done for a friend, I don't like him, but friend does. He's waiting for teeth, stain and laquer

[ Edited by: superTiki 2006-08-16 20:26 ]

[ Edited by: supertiki 2006-08-17 05:02 ]

[ Edited by: superTiki 2006-08-20 13:58 ]

[ Edited by: superTiki 2006-09-17 17:39 ]

H

Welcome on TC, superTiki! Tiki #4 is a realy cool one. I like his whole forms. Keep up the good work!

M

SuperTiki, Nice firsts. We live up in Merritt Island if you ever want to get together and have a carving session. I fear you already exceed my talents. Welcome to TC.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Man, there's some Fine tiki work there supertiki. I think you need to spend more time finding logs so you don't run out. Keep up the great work and Keep posting those pictures.

I'll take newer pics of number 5 He came out real good. I call him the old grumpy warrior. LOL
Cheer all, it's thirsty Thursday!

hey man welcome to TC here. really good job on the tikis like them alot. ive done like 9 and im still not that good haha.

keep the pics comming

Great work superT. I also moved to Satellite Bch. in Jan. I was captivated by the tiki culture and bought several tikis for my garden. Ever since I picked up cut palms around town but haven't started carving yet.I need help..I bought carving knives,chisels,etc. but don't know how to remove the outer shell of the palm trunks. I would appreciate if all the wonderful carvers out there lend me a hand. Thanks

get an hand planer.. I got a Ryobi for about a sixty unit. It werks great. Before I was hacking away with a pruning blade... I can do a whole 3' tall long in about 20 minutes.
I found that out by someone on this board. Otherwise I dunno what I'd do.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 6:43 PM

Some nice stuff there. Love #4

Hey all, got some updates for ya:
Number 5 has been sanded and is now waiting to dry a little more before stain and laquer. So far he's my fav.

Finished the one I wasn't so keen on and stuck a bottle opener in he mouth for all ya'allz adult beverages, and malt licka! I guess you could say he got a grill!!! He's just getting a few more coats of the sticky:

Newest member going to my sister in-law. Saw the wood burning on this here site and decided to try my hand at it...

These are looking good. The bottle opener was a great idea.

i like number 5 a lot......great lines and clean carving...wish i had thought of that design.

B

Cool stuff going on with the burner, Way to go.
Where is Indian Harbor beach from Port Saint Lucie? We need to do some get togethers..

I'd love to have a tiki get together. I'm in the Melbourne Area. There's some folk on Merritt Island, and Satellite beach who all carve on these boards too. All these towns are in/near the Melbourne area. We should start a new thread about getting a party going... :)

M

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Mahalo

you're off to a great start, st! i love the wood burner work.

looks good man. like the number five there and that bottle opener feature is genious. good stuff

keep em comming

Hey all,
Got some shots here of my latest guy. He's my front door Welcome Gardian. He stands in at about 27" and still weighs about 50#, so I hope no one runs off with him. He let's in the good spirits, and scares off all the deads...
Anyways, I hope you like him. He's got my welcome-ness to others burned into him. I hope it didn't hurt too much...

[ Edited by: superTiki 2006-09-17 17:35 ]

[ Edited by: superTiki 2006-09-17 17:36 ]

[ Edited by: superTiki 2006-09-17 17:38 ]

Hey superT all your work is great...and #5 is alive !! thanks for your help.Keep the pics coming, you're inspiring me, I have 3 logs in the back yard, everyday I look at them and want to get started,I keep waiting for them to talk to me and tell me who they wanna be. I know that once I stick my mini chainsaw and chisels in one I'll be hooked.

B

Nice lookin stuff, When we all gettin' together? and Where will it Be??

I'd love to hav a get together... I'll start looking into it I guess. Give me a week of two. I'm having my boat shipped from NY down to FL, so that's gonna take some of my free time....

Are there any other Floridians interested in a pow-wow?

M

I'm in (provided the kids are away!)

Wow! Off to a flyin' start. Great detail for starts. However, you got to get even better now. Keep 'em coming.
I used to be a space coaster, played in a band down in I.H.B. Lived in Indialantic and Satellite. You got a LOT of surf shops you can decorate them with!

Pages: 1 22 replies