Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rattiki pendants with beads and boars teeth

Pages: 1 10 replies

R

I had these made up last year in Banaue and I'll be getting the rest (150 in total) along with teeth and coconut beads to string them with HOPEFULLY in a month. I also have some Tibetian Mana skulls carved from yak's bone to string with them. Maybe that's untiki but they are so cool I can't resist. As before I'll give TCers first dibs :wink:

Most of these were inspired bt the BOT

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-08-24 10:40 ]

B

Rattiki, those are really cool. They look like they are carved in Mahogany? I Love the teeth and beads too.

hey man good work there. really like them.

R

On 2006-08-17 11:57, Benzart wrote:
Rattiki, those are really cool. They look like they are carved in Mahogany? I Love the teeth and beads too.

Yes it is mahagony, and I think the teeth and beads gives it a bit more over the top 'unga bunga' look than the standard surfer rope cord. Gives it that urban savage look :wink:

Very nice work! I wish my wahine would wear something like this. I would love to see her in one of those and a low-cut dress... :wink:

Where does one go to buy bores teeth?

R

On 2006-08-21 15:53, finkdaddy wrote:
Very nice work! I wish my wahine would wear something like this. I would love to see her in one of those and a low-cut dress... :wink:

Where does one go to buy bores teeth?

Ya know that is a good idea, I'll see what my Misses looks like in one of these in one of her animal print dresses.

In response to your question about the teeth.....

I guess I should explain since I have been out of circulation here for awhile. These pieces were made for me in the highlands of Luzon, Philippines. Banue, Ifugao is where the famous rice terraces are and the people there were once head hunters (which in modern times they only practiced on the Japanese in WWII) :wink:. They also have a stone age tradition of making wood carvings of their pagan gods similar to the South Pacific which of course is just adjacent to them (though metallurgy was introduced about 700 years ago from China). Most of their traditional work is very basic looking and somewhat similar to Papua at times. Back in 2003 I went up there taking a copy of Sven's BOT with me to see how good they would be at replicating works of Tiki and we came up with some pretty nice stuff. In 2004 I brought back a boatload of masks I had pre-ordered from the members here (I bank rolled it and they paid me when I returned with the stuff) which worked out quite well. This last time though (2005) I decide to try smaller, easier to transport, jewelery pieces. Also we had a change of plans midway in our trip through Indochina and ended up spending several months in Vietnam where I taught English and just soaked up life and culture in Saigon (HCMC). So these got put on the back burner until I could get it finished.
Anyway, to make a short story long, you buy bores teeth in the Philippines :wink:

H

Cool stuff, R. Really like the boar's tooth necklace-looks awesome! Great story on how you got them also.

Boy, those look tremendous Rattiki -- I'm looking forward to seeing more and having a crack at one.

P.S. I think you mean you get boars' teeth in the Philippines. For bore's teeth, I'd try here.

These are cool.....love them!

Amy

R

These came today for my birthday (so kewl.....how do you think US Customs knew?) and I'll be posting photos of what is available and offering them up ASAP at the speacial TC price of $15 each (S&H inc.) :wink:

B
Bete posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 11:15 AM

Those are cool pieces you made.

Pages: 1 10 replies