Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

nice score on some weapons today at the swapmeet

Pages: 1 4 replies

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Dec 22, 2002 5:13 PM

Today went to the aloha stadium swap meet. ho, a good day today! I found four weapons for $60. two new guinea spears that are 5ft 6inches long with wild bore hair and sharp metal spear heads, $25 each. they could sell for probubly $100 each in a import store. I know BK is a big new guine collector too so I'm sure he will agree that these were a steal!

One old Marquesan war club thats missing the stone but still has the old rope that once held the stone in place. $8! it's about a foot and a half long.

one samoan weapon $7!! 3 feet in length.

not only did I get all this but I sat and talked story with the guy who sold these to me. His name Dr. soloman nalua'i. He had what he called a jungle room in his house but got rid of everything the past 4 dam weeks at the swap meet!! I missed the last 3 weeks!! Ufa!! he said he sold old fish trap lamps $25 ea, tikis that were around 35 years old for $80, new guinea mask, soloman, fiji, da list goes on & on! ewwwww I was so pissed at myself! I got the left overs of the bunch. He must have been in his 70's. he has been to all the tiki bars you can imagine. don the beach, tahitian lanai, some that i never herd of but told me where they use to be. he couldn't remember the names though. His son and law performed at the tree house Trader vicks in the international market place. his son inlaws name is kinimaka. he also said that "the willos" post card I posted yesterday on Hula Hulas "thrift store" post was not shut down but sold to new owners who has kept the old decor! so I will be checking out this hawaiian motif bar and see if it really is still bearing it's old stuff. heres the kine to see the post card of this place.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2cc03b3127cce92a66033bdab0000001410

the willows is right in the middle of a neiborhood i'm told so it's hard to find. I think as the years went by houses started going up around that area.

the marquesan club

this is where the stone was. I plan on making some repo of this club when i get some good wood. i'll make the club part out of wood instead of stone.

bore hair on the tip

nice detail

samoan club. not a whole lot of detail but it was the right price. he has had all his pieces for about 35 years he said? he just decided to get rid of it now that all the children are no longer living in the house.
what a cool dad! I bet he's got some great pics of all those places.

I went to la mariana on friday and came to find out that one of the host that works there worked at the tahitian lanai for 20 years! she said she would give me some pics because she has tons of them so I'm looking towards seeing how they look! I'll post them if they are good ones she gives me.

Aloha & Mele Kalikimaka
from my ohana to yours!
geko

Hey Gecko, in regards to the Tahitian Lanai, try to get some photos of the bar that show the back bar carvings well: It had these tall carved panels with a diffferent island style Tiki carved into each, but in a very modernistic style.
Always wanted to document these, and always regretted it not having done so.
...and then off course those Marquesan Tiki bar stools!

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Dec 22, 2002 5:33 PM

wall panels behind the bar & bar stools, got it. I'll see her next friday and see what i can get. hopefully she brings the whole album. it sounds like she has tons of pics!

Hey Gecko,
My Mom and Dad said the best luau in the islands was at The Willows when we lived there in the late 60's and early 70's. They said they liked that place better than Trader Vics. Also, there is a Hawaii Calls album that has some music recorded live there. Its kind of a musical tour of the islands. Hope you get some nice photos.
Awesome weapons you scored, too!

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Dec 22, 2002 6:31 PM

hey KailuaGeoff, howzit bradda!

that's cool to know! neva new the place was there untill i get the postcard! I'll swing by afta X-mas and post some pics if it's worth going to for da visitors.

Pages: 1 4 replies