Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

does anyone know how to snug up rope that has been wrapped around poles?

Pages: 1 13 replies

S

i wrapped my entire deck in rope and when it went on it was really snug, but as it settled it lossened a little. is there a way to tighten her up?

On 2006-08-17 19:58, sleestak wrote:
i wrapped my entire deck in rope and when it went on it was really snug, but as it settled it lossened a little. is there a way to tighten her up?

Or, were the poles wet and shrank ?

I am geussing you might want to try spraying thr rope with hot water and see if it has any affect. Otherwise I think you're stuck re-wrapping them poles. Let me know what happens and if you need to re-wrap I'll try and get some time to help out.
Cheers.

cool. the poles were not wet and they dont sag even, there just a little looser. it looks bitchin though. someone told me about heating the rope with a torch from a distance, but that just seems like a bad idea!

Can you slide something in to take up the slack, like split bamboo? Might look cool too.
Good luck, it sounds really cool! I'd love to see some pictures.

the poles don't have to be soaked (or even visiably wet) to expand and contract. Wood (depending on the species) will expand and contract with temperature changes - even overnight.

I usually snug the rope up flush with the pole (not super tight, but tight enough) and add nails every so often

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 7:40 PM

GROG will ask Mistress Layla, she is very good with ropes and knots ( as well as whips and wax).

cool, thanks people! how do i put photos up on this? just with photo bucket?

Just click on "Add Images To Your Post" which is right under the composition box where you type your message.

A window will pop up where you can browse your computer for the image you would like to add, then hit the 'submit' button.

A small version of your image will appear with some text below it.
Copy the text, including the (img) parts in brackets, and paste that into your post.

here are some photos

Man, that must have taken forever to do. Looks as good as it did in person. Have you tried anything to tighten up the rope yet?

S

no not yet. im gonna see if it gets any worse! i dont think it will. unless i hang from it!

B

Actually what you need to do to make it tight and stay tight is to wet it down real good, totally soak it then re-wrap it around the pole as tight as you can, nailing it every few rings. Then when it dries it will shrink and be tight forever. If you don't wrap it wet, it will always stretch.
Hope this helps.

S

thanks to all of you!

Pages: 1 13 replies