Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rotozip anyone??

Pages: 1 7 replies

Has anyone had experience carving with a Rotozip?
I have the Foredom carver, which is great, but not very mobile when navigating the big Tikis. The flex shaft is kind of restricting. And the , of course, I have a Dremel, which is fine for the lighter stuff.
Is the Rotozip any help on the bigger projects?

I have used a rotozip blade in my dremel before , worked for me.

J

Like Rodeotiki, I've used RotoZip bits in my Dremel. They work wonderfully. They are agressive bits and can remove a lot of wood in a hurry. One great thing about them is you can drill a hole and then move the bit sideways through the wood. The hard part is since the bit has a rotation it tends to want to wander off to one side and/or follow the soft grain. The real bad thing about these bits is if you are carving soft wood they can catch and really dig into the wood in a hurry and put a really big unexpected gouge into your piece. Since they catch easy they can take a walk, watch your fingers.

I've wondered about buying a RotoZip for carving myself. The observations I mentioned above might not be any issue if the bits were used in the proper tool.

JP

B

I have used the rotozip bits in my foredom too with the same results. removes wood quickly but can remove Wanted wood as well very quickly and there is a great control issue and it is Very Dangerous. JP May be right about having the right tool and making it more controllable. Good idea!.

I am glad that this came up, as I have been considering adding a rotozip to my tools. Has anyone used the flexshaft kit which is available?

T

hey KK

I have a rotozip - works great for some stuff. I dont have the flexshaft though (I got a foredom). RotoZip can be dangerous as Ben points out - using their bits in a foredom flex shaft can be a serious problem. I suspect the same may be true with any flex shaft and those bits. They should be used in the rotozip tool with a foot for control.

My 2 cents.

gap

I (finally) tried a store demo Rotozip tool on a piece of plywood today. The *%$#@# rips! It carved a piece of plywood like butter. Looks like it has definite possibilities.. I want to try the Rotozip with my Typhoon Burrs.
I love the Foredom, except for that flex shaft that I keep snapping.

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2006-08-26 00:56 ]

Should have known you'd have one, GAP! The flexshaft appears to be on par with others, and can use small bits like those from a dremmel. I like that it's made by Bosch.

Pages: 1 7 replies