Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Hawaiian Music by Auther Lynman

Pages: 1 12 replies

I got this CD about A week ago and have been listening to it nonstop it has become the background music to my room it is one of my favorite CDs and it was Cheap only 6.95 I think for a CD! But then I live in Non-Tiki Land or NTL for future references I suggest everyone by a copy if you don’t like this CD then you probably have the wrong forum! The music Is very soothing yet won't put you to sleep It also is very melodic almost everyone who listens to it likes it even my parents like it and it is so varied that it has great listenability I highly suggest that this Musical Gem should be included in you CD repartee

I don't think I've heard Auther Lynman before (?).

(I had to come back and edit the name because I couldn't even intentionally fuck it up)

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-12-22 19:52 ]

Talkie-Tiki,
Hanford has some information you might find interesting. Check out the link. There is more to Tiki Central than the forums.
http://www.tikicentral.com/music/savage.htm

you should really get it bong its really really cool

thanks tikibar I have Taboo on vinyl the the other Records look good too

Bad boy, Tiki Bong, bad boy!
Talkie Tiki, what Bong was trying to say is that A.) Arthur Lyman has been a staple of many Tiki Bar lovers' Exotica music collection for a long time, and B.) you misspelled the name a little...so what.
Maybe Bong can't imagine that A.) Hendersonville is not a place where Tiki knowledge is overflowing, and B.) I for example don't always spell right, since English is not my mother tongue, but hell, I wrote the book on Tiki in it anyway!

We are glad that you have discovered the Exotic Sounds of Arthur Lyman, and yes, his music is magical, we all mourned his recent passing. I am proud to have written the linernotes for the Rykodisk re-issue of his TABOO album, and glad to have seen him play live at the New Otani in Waikiki .

And Bong has to sit in the corner for fifteen minutes for being facetious, and then come over and have a Gluehwein on Sunday!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-12-27 10:54 ]

Ein Freund der Tiki ist ein Freund von meinem! More power to you, Talkie. You may look up Eden Ahbez, too, and download Eden's Island...it, to me, embodies the subculture as many could only wish to...or the old standby, Martin Denny....he has a discography worthy of great praise!

S

I love Arthur Lyman. I'm a huge fan. I so agree that it's relaxing without going too far. Even my fellow employees who don't understand Martin Denny have to admit that they like Arthur Lyman.

Here's a funny story about Arthur Lyman...

My aunt is a jazz singer and used to be with the "new" Glen Miller bands in the 50s and 60s. Anyway, they were playing in Hawaii back in the day and were staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (this is when it was still huts on the beach).

So one night after their show, my aunt and some of the guys in the band hook up with Authur and some of his band... Well I guess the Mai Tais were flowing because somehow everyone ended up skinny-dipping in the ocean. When security came down to round everyone up they saw that it was "Mr. Lyman" and some friends and just told them to keep it down.

After that, everyone figured that they better call it quits and headed back to their huts. After a while, my aunt hears something outside... Some kind of strange bird... In the middle of the night? So she looks out the window and finds Arthur Lyman camped outside of her hut trying to woo her with his bird calls.

Oh those were the days...

Aloha
:tiki:

Well,.......did he do her, I mean "woo" her or not?

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-02-23 12:52 ]

I like how these older posts (this one being from December) occasionally find their way back to the present day.
Thanks for the story Royale.

Here's a question: (And this is an honest question)
I know Lyman supposedly did some bird calls when he played with Martin Denny, but wasn't it actually one of the other members who did the calls or the majority of the calls?

I remember seeing this in a documentary somewhere...(Not the Sven's tiki video, although I should go back and watch it again.)
It was a long, long time ago...like in 8th grade Mr. Sipes music appreciation class.

Anyone?

Augie Colon did Denny's bird calls.

F

actually the pond frogs did it first

haha

Hey Stingray...
It is possible that it was another member of the band who was actually making the calls. It was a long time ago and like I said, the Mai Tais were a' flowin' I'm sure.
Either way, it still makes for a pretty good story.

Aloha
:tiki:

Pages: 1 12 replies