Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

1965 Hawaiian Trip Scrapbook - Image Heavy

Pages: 1 11 replies

I found this neat scrapbook at a flea market this weekend. It appears to have been assembled by a girl who went on a trip with her family (parents and sister) in the summer of 1965. The album is chock full of goodies... photos, newspapers, matchbooks, even the plastic bag that held the girl's earphones on her Pan Am flight! They appeared to have stayed for part of their trip at the Kaimana Hotel

My favorite item is an actual piece of bamboo from the Bamboo Lanai at the International Marketplace (bottom center of Image 3). Anybody know anything about this place?

The following pix are just some of the things in the album. I hope you enjoy!

T

What an awesome find! Love the brochure on the left in the 4th pic.
I also found an old travel-album at a thrift, but it's 99 percent bland postcards from '67-68, Hawaii taking up only a few pages of a worldwide trip...
I'm guessing - since it's from an underage - there are no bar/lounge paraphenalia pieces?

Great score Tikipedia. I love the pages with the actual snapshots. Good stuff!
Aloha,
:tiki:

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 24, 2006 8:02 PM

"Tiki Transportation Inc"? I'm sure it's just a brand name, but I can't help picturing a pick-up truck with a bamboo tray on the back, cruising around the island delivering Ku and Lono carvings to happy customers.

I think my favorite items are the two coasters from the Halekulani. I'm a sucker for paper drink coasters and napkins. The whole scrapbook is nice, though.

Sabu

Very good!

old history!

Wow,

It's like looking into a space capsule. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Isn't this the most amazing and endearing thing? Such a special time for this person, documented so lovingly -- you'd think one of her descendants would have wanted to keep this. Well, YOU found it and will preserve it for the same reasons she did -- her magical time in a magical place.

And I love the little cartoon Hawaiians hugging the Dole pineapple.

On 2006-08-22 18:32, tikipedia wrote:
I hope you enjoy!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 14:16 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 1:47 PM

Holy Haole, this scrapbook is GREAT! The graphics are so cute I wanna squeeze them like the giant pineapple!

And what is that dinner & dancing Nite Club Tour? How cool does that sound? Let's go! Please please please bring this to the next Oasis or whatever, we all want to see it!

A

Amazing! I'm crazy about all of the old fonts and illustrations.

Some of these would be great gifts for Xmas if they were transferred onto marble or ceramic tiles - as coasters or framed or even as a kitchen or bathroom backsplash

http://www.AliciaTappDesigns.com

Pages: 1 11 replies