Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

It's Another Round of...Mug Info Please!

Pages: 1 3 replies

W

So I picked up four of this here mug for a buck each at a junk shop and am curious as to what they are.

They seem to be home made/craft type as there's no imprint on the bottom, just the name "CLEM"scratched into the gaze before firing. They're heavier than a most craft pieces. The exterior glaze is a two-tone mix of a rusty brown and chartreuse green. The inside is glazed in white (unusual for most craft ceramics I've come across). The backside of the mug is plain, with a faint ring pattern...It seems the design of the mug is to imply the image is carved into a palm log. They're 8 1/4 inches tall.

This image is one dogbytes took of the mug I gave her (Cuz she's always do so much great Tiki stuff for others.) (And true to her typical fashion she says the picture isn't very good.)

I believe its a homemade version of the Guanko mug. Check the facial similarities to that of a Pineapple Alien mug...aka.islander/bumatay mug.

W

The mug also reminded me of the mug on pg 250 of the BOT. My mug(s) are much cruder (I mean primitive!) in style, but as I said above, it seems to convey the same design idea...A tiki carved into something.

If it is homemade, the above mug (and similar craft items) are nice little markers as to how far the whole Tiki thing once reached into our culture. I like the idea of "CLEM" going to great effort to make of set of tiki mugs to use for his/her guests.

Nice score!
Freddie is right, this is the home version of the "Bumatay" mug. Thanks for playing.
I've seen the glazes in many varieties but your rust and green is really nice. Enjoy them.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 3 replies