Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Bar Score

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hi everyone,
This is my first post to this site, but I am so excited and I just had to share my experience.
I was browsing through the paper one Saturday when a Garage Sale ad caught my eye. It said: 8 ft. Tiki Bar! The garage sale was from 8-1 and it was already 12:45! I put the address in Maps.com, asked the hubby to watch the baby, then booked it over to La Cañada to see if it was still there. When I pulled up, I saw a couple in their late 70s in the driveway. They were standing next to the coolest Tiki rattan coffee table I'd ever seen--green tiles on top, HUGE, magazine racks on bottom, perfect condition. I ran up and said, "Is the bar still here?" They said...Sure is, right in the den. There sat the COOLEST Tiki bar I'd ever laid eyes on! Seriously! They had some guy custom make the bar and the coffee table for them in the 60s and didn't get much use out of it anymore. It had 4 barstools, a huge awning with 2 hanging lights above the bar, place for a fridge in the back of the bar...HEAVEN. And this thing is sturdy! It weighed an absolute ton. So I was like, How much???
(Heart pounding...)
And they said $500! I said, how much for the coffee table? They said 50 bucks. I called the hubby, and said to offer $500 for the pair--and they took it!
Ohmigosh, this is the coolest thing in the world. They had framed Hawaiian prints for $1 each.

THIS WAS MY LUCKY DAY.

First, Welcome Aboard!

The bar sounds like an great deal! I experienced sticker shock over the weekend, a custom 1/2 round rattan bar & 4 stools sitting in a vintage store.... $1500! Its nice to know you got it for yourself, and didn't lose out to a dealer who'd probably have a similar markup.

If you can, try to post some pics of your score.

:tiki:

julienjay, welcome to the board. Hey, you got any pics to post for us jealous souls?

HH

thats sounds awesome, I'd love to see some pics too. And welcome aboard :)

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Dec 23, 2002 3:24 PM

owwwweee! got some good scores over da week and weekend! lets see who get lucky dis weekend! If you get good deals here on TC let us know! post a pic if can! I like see what peopo get great deals on! Hawaiiana is so expensive here on da islands i don't know about da mainland. so, wen someone scores its cool to see ya!

shootz!

I want to see some pictures of this bad boy
you are lucky

Pardon my cluelessness, but how do you post a picture on this thing?
I took some of the bar last night...can't wait to share.
Thanks, Julie

Okay, I hope I figured it out! I'd love to hear your feedback...

OMG!! That is to sweet, great deal . Do I hear party at your house? :P

Excellent! But, hmmmm.... I don't think photos do it justice... a party is definitely in order to show it off!

:tiki:

L

That is a sweet bar. As cheesy as the padded edge is, they are so comfortable. I love padded edges. The best thing about that bar is, it looks like one you could really use. I know many people don't use their bars but for show. I'm one as I can't sit well on my witco stools with the long carpet in my house. It will be more functional with the wood floors. I don't know why they used to photograph those bars over shag carpet. People would be toppling over.
Have fun with it!

Wholly Mholly - you scored a great deal! Very nice bar indeed.

T

I'm jealous! You are definitely hooked up this holiday season.

Tikirob

Whoops, I somehow posted to the wrong topic!
Anyway, very cool bar. How did you haul that thing and get it into your house?

[ Edited by: Trader_Rick on 2002-12-24 20:52 ]

My husband about KILLED me. He had to rent a U-Haul and hire someone loitering around the parking lot to help him move it. But I "forgot" to mention that it wouldn't fit outside the old couple's den door, so it had to be moved out into the patio and over a four foot partition.
Needless to say, he was less than thrilled. He about broke his back trying to move this thing!!! He called me and was cussing up a storm.
But it was all worth it in the end.

D

GREAT FIND! My boyfriend would have been doing the same.

Your bar is amazing! I am green with jealousy, as is everyone else, I'm sure! I bought a rattan chair at the flea market this summer and still can't get it in the house, it won't fit through the door. It's in the garage.

Pages: 1 16 replies