Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

royal palm

Pages: 1 5 replies

i've been carving for a couple of months now and will post pics soon ...but has anyone ever carved royal palm the inside seems very soggy and was wondering if that will dry out

thank you

L
Loki posted on Fri, Aug 25, 2006 5:17 AM

Micky tiki,
The royal(i think you mean queen) will never dry out and it will eventually rot from the inside out. The only way to carve them is to hollow out the stinky goo. The best way to use the royal is to cut it in half, gut the inside leaving a 'C' shape outer shell. The shell is very nice to carve and will hold detail nicely. Masks are about the only thing you can make out of them. I have made some nice masks out of them, but when given the choice i perfer not to use them. Hope this helps.

[ Edited by: loki 2006-08-25 16:52 ]

thank you very much ...which palm would you suggest i use to make a nice solid tiki?

L
Loki posted on Fri, Aug 25, 2006 8:08 AM

micky from the jetsetter?

sabal (aka cabbage palm), coconut, washingtonia, mahogany are all easily available in south fl...

yup mick from jetsetter ...tiki central is awesome thank you very nuch im goin out to get some new logs

B

Actually the Royal palm is kind of like a giant queen Palm. It'a also called the king palm and the Cement palm because it looks like a giant cement pillar. They get gigantic to a couple feet diameter and 30 ft tall. All mush inside like the queen with that very hard outer shell. carvable but usually not worth the hard work.

Pages: 1 5 replies