Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lost Tijuana Cocktail

Pages: 1 4 replies

A

I was in a Borders in San Diego recently and came across some reprints of old postcards from San Diego and Tijuana. One old postcard from TJ (I'm guessing from the 1930s or 40s) was printed on a refrigerator magnet. It was for the jai alai sports palace. On either side of a picture of the palace was a cocktail recipe. One recipe was for a tequila sunrise. The other was for a drink called the "Jai Alai Special." I tried to look it up on Google and found nothing.

All the recipe says is:
Lime juice
Orange juice
Creme de cacao
Bacardi Rum
There were no measurements included.

A friend of mine who works as a bartender at a local bar concocted this version below. We found that it tasted a lot like a 50-50 ice cream bar.

1-1/2 oz. Barcardi Light Rum
1 oz. Creme de cacao
Juice from 2 fresh limes squeezed
Shake and pour into Collins glass topped with ice
Fill with orange juice
Top with dark rum
Garnish with lime wedge shaped as a jai alai scoop

Enjoy!

I found a reference:

MY CUBAN COCKTAIL RECIPE BOOK
by Ramon Pedreira Rodriguez
84 pages, paperback, $6
Editorial Arte y Literatura, Havana
First English-language edition: 1997
Second English-language edition: 2000

Pg. 68: JAI ALAI.
This cocktail was very popular among professional jai alai players since colonial times.

Cheers!

George

From HAVANA: THE MAGAZINE OF CUBA, 28 February 1930, pg. 30, col. 1:

"Marolo," I sex [sic] to the concoctioneer, "fix me up a Jai-Alai." This is the kind of drink that you don't know what's in it and after four drinks you don't care what is in it.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 6:40 PM

Cool! I would like to try that! Jai Alai is a Basque origin game, my grandfather used to play it... It was popular in the 40's 50's.

A

Pages: 1 4 replies